Icecold's mobility thread

delbuenno,

What stretches would you suggest? I only know of a couple of things you can do on your own.

Deception,

Warm up to your squats slowly, maybe with some lateral lunges of increasing amplitude/depth too. It shouldn't be a problem (I've been in this position a few times), but obviously if it hurts, don't do it :)

delbuenno,

What stretches would you suggest? I only know of a couple of things you can do on your own.

The bog standard static stretch is the modified thomas test position:

SFr2s.jpg

The benefits of this position is that it doesn't matter if your obliques are weak as you are using your arms and the other leg to stabilise the pelvis. You just need to make sure you push the leg down from the hip and not bending the knee too much as that could divert the stretch to rec fem.

The next one requires good oblique/core strength to resist the pull into anterior tilt:

Wfc8e.gif

Again you want to try to keep the leg fairly straight to keep the rec fem slack. A progression would be to add some internal rotation to the hip you are stretching (as the illiopsoas externally rotates as well as flexes) by pushing the ankle out to the side a little.

Do you have any more which you prefer to use?

Those are the ones I was thinking of! :)

EDIT:
Particularly the second one with external rotation (and arm up), I find it doesn't catch the psoas otherwise.
/EDIT

Starret has a version of the first one you posted where he has a band pulling the "down" leg...er...down. It's kind of tricky to set up properly though.

While you're here, what movement diagnostic tests do you use? I was talking to my physio today about them and he suggested two. Firstly, air squat with arms overhead. Secondly, moving arms overhead in a standing position.

Last edited:
Deception,

Warm up to your squats slowly, maybe with some lateral lunges of increasing amplitude/depth too. It shouldn't be a problem (I've been in this position a few times), but obviously if it hurts, don't do it :)

I normally spend about 30mins on stretching/mobility before squats anyhow. So, will see how it goes.

Don't think I will be doing them today as my right side of my Psoas is really sore and tight (a bit of tissue work gets rid of the soreness, but not for long as it comes back).

In regards to the work im doing to get my form right, is there a difference between High and low bar squat in terms of the pressure it would put on my lower back when im butt winking? I ask because if one of them doesnt put too much pressure on my lower back, I'd rather do that one until I've got the form nailed. Typically I want to end up doing low bar squat in the end though :)

While you're here, what movement diagnostic tests do you use? I was talking to my physio today about them and he suggested two. Firstly, air squat with arms overhead. Secondly, moving arms overhead in a standing position.

Yep, I use the deep squat as well. Also the these others from the Functional Movement System assessment:
http://www.advanced-fitness-concepts.com/fms.pdf

I'm not 100% convinced that they are the best assessment techniques for performance or injury risk (if you hadn't noticed already I do tend to question things a fair bit ;) ) but as its a pre made system its easy to follow, repeatable and gives you a nice objective measure to monitor.

Last edited:
Those are the ones I was thinking of! :)

EDIT:
Particularly the second one with external rotation (and arm up), I find it doesn't catch the psoas otherwise.
/EDIT.

I just had a look and found this video which sounds similar?

In the video he says internally rotate the foot (presumably he means leg) but he in fact externally rotates the leg (at the hip) - see 4:13 on.

He does correct himself in the comments though, changing it to "internal rotation " after a few of the other comments questioned it. So is he describing the stretch correctly but demonstrated it wrongly or is there another reason behind the external rotation that he hasn't given?

I only tend to add external rotation as oppposed to internal if I wanted to stretch the anterior structures like the illiofemoral ligament or anterior capsule and if I did I tend do it in prone ala fabers test eg:

liJPXl.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I missed your post!

Yes, kind of like that, but with slightly more external rotation. I don't have a video for it as it's a stretch my physio friend was playing around with. If it interests you enough I could video myself or my brother (or other unsuspecting subject) doing it.

Yeah please especially if you get good results from it.
So you externally rotate the hip for the psoas? Would you mind asking your physio friend the reason to externally rotate rather than internally rotate please. I just can't get my head round it as the action of the muscle is to flex and externally rotate the hip so the stretch would be extension and internal rotation of the hip?:confused:

Yeah except the internal rotation is made by moving the lower leg out in the one we use. Another one that gets where the hip flexors tie in with some of the adductors more relies on external rotation of the femur. I think my brother may have mixed those up.

Hey Ice. I've got quite a bit of DOMS in my back from Deadlifts, is that a sign that my form is wrong (first time this has happened) and that I pulled with my back? I will attempt to get a form vid If i can, at some point.

On a brighter note, Squats are coming along great. So, thanks a lot for the help on that one! :)

Not necessarily, could just be weak muscles :), I know for a fact my form is near enough spot on but I got it from the lifts I did on Wednesday. Do get a video up it will help.

Not necessarily, could just be weak muscles :), I know for a fact my form is near enough spot on but I got it from the lifts I did on Wednesday. Do get a video up it will help.

I did 140kg on Monday and it felt fine, then did 150kg yesterday and woke up with some nice doms. It was rather tough though, so might of broke form knowing my luck :p. According to my routine, I should be doing another set Wednesday, so will get one then or maybe tomorrow if Ive got time.

Back
Top Bottom