Icecold's mobility thread

Soldato
IT bands are so damn painful on me! I had a massage on them before and was biting my t shirt it was so painful haha
I have bought my own foam roller but don't use it any where near as much I should.

I have really bad shoulders, rolled forward and the mobility is awful and an anterior pelvic tilt. A bit of research and it seems that scapular press ups & supine bridges will help with this. Is it something I should be doing every day? If so how many times a day? I also do door jams at just random times through the day as I pass between rooms in order to stretch my pecs as I was told this a while ago by a physio.
Am looking to get some bands in order to work external rotation, I use to have one but I lost it :(
Would that all be enough?

Caporegime
Get a lacrosse / hockey / Doggy ball (or any other kind of hard ball that has a little bit of give / covered in rubber) That will help as well :)

Can use that on your scap as well

Soldato
Not sure where people usually get there stuff from but when I went to physio he sent me this link for my foam roller.
I got the one for £11.50 and it is pretty decent, slightly cheaper than the MP one.

http://www.physiosupplies.com/fitness/Foam-Rollers.html

You mention the balls as well what about something like
http://www.physiosupplies.com/fitness/Hard-Spiky-Massage-Balls-10cm.html

Was looking at getting some bands and they also sell them, just not sure what ones to get?

http://www.physiosupplies.com/fitness/Exercise-Bands.html

Associate
Just been to the doctors and he's told me I have mild tendonitis in my left knee (patellar). Booking a physio ASAP but it wont be for another week due to work and the days the physio is running sessions.

I'm just wondering if I should be squatting or whether I should stop for a while. In fairness I've squatted every session bar 1 (1RM deadlifts) for the last 3-4 months so I wouldn't feel too guilty with a while off. Also is there anything I can do stretching / mobility wise in the mean time to help?

Cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
Quick question - I've noticed that when I squat, I always turn my right foot out more than my left. Even when I bring it back to the same position (sometimes its abit more forward too), it will always end up in the same place. I've noticed that if I stand straight, it will do the same, like I automatically do it without realising. I tend to put a bit more pressure on the right side because of it (can feel it after squatting).

Man of Honour
OP
It could be a few things: tight hip flexor/quad, worse ankle mobility on that side...

If it also manifests when you're lying on your back, it's almost certainly at least partially due to quads and hips.

Fen (sorry I missed your post), I'd take a closer look at how you're squatting. Things like knee and foot alignment, and if you're flat footed, can cause problems here.

Soldato
It could be a few things: tight hip flexor/quad, worse ankle mobility on that side...

If it also manifests when you're lying on your back, it's almost certainly at least partially due to quads and hips.

Fen (sorry I missed your post), I'd take a closer look at how you're squatting. Things like knee and foot alignment, and if you're flat footed, can cause problems here.

I will look at hip flexor and quads. I'm always doing ankle mobility, so it seems ok in that department. Is there any particular exercise for the 2 mentioned (apart from the foam roller one above) or shall I do a search on mwod.

Apart from that, my Squats and Deadlifts seem to be coming along great due to all the mobility stuff I've been doing. Thanks again :)

Last edited:
Associate
It could also be tight external rotators, so pretty much anything on your arse. Smash them as well and if it doesn't help then it's not the end of the world because it feels great after ;).

Associate

No worries, I've been without internet until today anyway. Cheers for replying anyway.

Yeh I have no doubts it's that. Should've taken a step back on the squats but didn't want to - stupid really.

Also I've waited far too long for a deload anyway so I'm having a week out from everything. Then I'll see how the squats go.

I've actually got ridiculously high arches - is there any way to combat this?

Man of Honour
Mr Ice is there anything in particular you would recommend for my funny shoulders? Or is it just a case of having a scan through the thread and pulling out all the shoulder stuff?

Back
Top Bottom