Icecold's mobility thread

PAz

PAz

Soldato
With all the Thai boxing and the increased volume in my lifting, my lower back is getting really pumped and often quite stiff hen I hit the gym.

Any recommended stretches I can do before training (this includes before MT as well) Ice (or anyone else) that will help loosen it up? The old school lying on the floor and lifting your head up does nothing but stiffen it up more :p

I still do the hip/glute stretches you recommended a long time ago and they are great :)

Soldato
KD, regarding abductor stretching. These I find are good.

Side lunge:
http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae4/mmccann722/side-lunge-stretch.jpg[/
butterfly stretch:
[IMG]http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae4/mmccann722/8-Butterfly-stretch.jpg[/

side splits:
[IMG]http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae4/mmccann722/Split1small.jpg[

Super frog:
[url]http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/06/episode-264-landing-mechanics-and-super-frog.html[/url][/QUOTE]

Just tried the mob wod stuff. Turns out my landing mechanics are great :D that jumping requires a lot of power/speed though!

Thanks for the exercises though, been trying these for the last few days, and seem to be working well.

kd

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Balls I forgot to get a video!

Reverse crunch with ppt and leg extension at the bottom. Form check.
Much more aggressive PPT.

Slower negative, go slower as your arse gets closer to the floor. Avoid "dumping" your hips onto the ground - they actually never really want to be at rest, instead having constant PPT.

Slower leg movement, with a pause at full extension.
With all the Thai boxing and the increased volume in my lifting, my lower back is getting really pumped and often quite stiff hen I hit the gym.

Any recommended stretches I can do before training (this includes before MT as well) Ice (or anyone else) that will help loosen it up? The old school lying on the floor and lifting your head up does nothing but stiffen it up more :p

I still do the hip/glute stretches you recommended a long time ago and they are great :)
No stretches! Basically none ever.

Firstly, I'd try investigating to see if there were any form faults resulting in too much lower back movement (any is too much for all lifting, obviously not the case for your MT).

The only reliable remedy beyond that is using a lacrosse ball/foam roller and attacking it until the pain goes/you pass out.

PAz

PAz

Soldato
Balls I forgot to get a video!

Slower negative, go slower as your arse gets closer to the floor. Avoid "dumping" your hips onto the ground - they actually never really want to be at rest, instead having constant PPT.

Slower leg movement, with a pause at full extension.

No stretches! Basically none ever.

Firstly, I'd try investigating to see if there were any form faults resulting in too much lower back movement (any is too much for all lifting, obviously not the case for your MT).

The only reliable remedy beyond that is using a lacrosse ball/foam roller and attacking it until the pain goes/you pass out.

Thanks. So nothing I can do to help loosen other than my hockey ball / foam roller in gym before lifting? Just to confirm, I experience no pain whilst lifting/MT. It's just the next day the lower back is so stiff/sore almost.

Man of Honour
OP
No stretching in the lower back is a rule of thumb that applies more often than not. I'd only ever let a professional prescribe it.

However, what you'll find is that soft tissue work is more than enough to loosen it up. After smashing it, try touching your toes (as much of a lower back stretch as I'd do myself) and you'll see what I mean.

Soldato

:eek: i was already appling MAX ppt, i think this will improve as my flexibility improves in this area. I will be doing these nightly anyway so hopefully wont be long before everything becomes tighter, smoother, stronger :)

PAz

PAz

Soldato
No stretching in the lower back is a rule of thumb that applies more often than not. I'd only ever let a professional prescribe it.

However, what you'll find is that soft tissue work is more than enough to loosen it up. After smashing it, try touching your toes (as much of a lower back stretch as I'd do myself) and you'll see what I mean.

Thank you as always :)

Soldato
Remind me which one PPt is? When you butt sticks out or the opposite?

Damn do you not have google?!?! :rolleyes::p

Imagine your looking from down on yourself from above.

Now imagine your hips are a bucket.

Anterior pelvic tilt would mean that the bucket is pouring water out infront of you (butt sticks out)

Posterior Pelvic Tilt is the opposite.

Soldato
Hmm, I'm slightly concerned when DLing to stick my hips out to go back down I'm getting some anterior tilt.

As a side point, I've got some reverse crunch videos to upload later to my log. Hopefully they're better! (No ppt extension though)

kd

Associate
A while ago ice posted a video of that guy from Mobility world using a female to explain the "knees out" principle on deadlifts.
I haven't bookmarked it and I've struggled to find it again.

Could a kind soul that bookmarked this link share it again?

Back
Top Bottom