• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

icecold's training log

Man of Honour
OP
Training 24/9/12

Squats!!! First day back from rehab
bar x lots
60x10
100x10
140x6
160x6
152.5x6x3
Not bad

Bench (slight pause)
bar x lots
60x8
80x6
100x2
115x6 PB!
120x6 PB!! 0.o wtf
110x6x2

CGBP
80x2
100x5x3

Cable shoulder stuff

DB bench
37.5x6x3 these were the closest DBs, which was handy because I was ****ed

Face pulls

Decided not to bother doing 10 reps with the squats, instead I'll do some higher reps on friday. This way I get an extra week of getting used to heavier weight, and it's a lot more fun.

Crazy big bench PB, I failed the 6th rep of 115 last week. I'm not complaining, but I've never progressed this well on bench before, even with smolov jr.

Bodyweight is currently: hench.2kg

Man of Honour
OP
Training 26/09/12

Deadlifts - 5 rep max day...
100x5
140x3
180x1
215x1
230x5 PB - got told off for going too light
235x5 PB!
225x1 - meant to be some reps here, but I was tanked.
210x1
Annoyingly, there might have been a little bit more there had I not done 230 as well. I'm certainly fatigued enough right now though. One of the reps almost killed me with lateral bounce, but I managed to keep hold of it. Also, I thought I'd managed to tame the unnecessary shouting, apparently not!

Cable high row - kind of instead of doing snatch grip RDL. Some good scap. retraction possible, so I might play with these

Cable 1 arm row (lbs)
150x8, 160x8x3

Skull crushers
EZ+30x10, +40x6x3

Chins
BW+20x5x3

Land mines
some

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Ice, what would you recommend for a good set of core exercises to give good overall development.

I'm thinking Land Mines, Pallof Press and Roll outs?

Man of Honour
OP
Ice, what would you recommend for a good set of core exercises to give good overall development.

I'm thinking Land Mines, Pallof Press and Roll outs?
What I'd recommend would depend on how well you recruit your various ab bits.

In terms of a one size fits all smash everything routine, probably something like this:

Phase 1:
Planks
Reverse crunch with very slow reps and no lordosis
Land mines/pallof/similar

^ getting hard Posterior Pelvic Tilt on both

Phase 2:
Rollouts
Body saw (possible to suspend feet with TRX or bands) <-- reps until you lose PPT
Heavier land mines
Pallof variations
Leg raises (+constant PPT)

Phase 3:
Weighted rollouts
Heavier land mines/pallof variations
Body saw/whatever smashes lower abs best

I'm now getting total ab DOMS (including internal obliques) from deadlifting because I'm bracing so well

Aye I'm not whacking the weight on :) I was finding the bar alone not challenging enough, and I don't have a cable machine now so I'm having to do pallof presses with a band :(
I actually quite like doing pollofs with bands, despite it being harder.

Man of Honour
OP
Training 01/10/12

Box squat
bar x 20
60x10
100x10
140x5
180x5 PB?
170x5x2
Thorough warm ups just to be safe, but there was zero pain. Felt a little unstable and overly tiring, but not bad for the first heavy squats post rehab.

Bench
bar x lots
60x5
100x5 - not feeling great for some reason
110x1
125x2 :/ terrible line, probably a third there but it was all ****ed up
122.5x3 same again
115x5x3 these got better as I went through the sets, which is annoying but at least it suggests that the earlier sets were anomalies

RDL
100x5
140x5
180x5 - really hoping these were heavy enough :(
200x5x3 - dead

Wide grip bench
100x6
105x6x2 PB
Again, much better :confused:

Soldato
nice squatting ice, looks like the recovery is coming along nicely.

What are you idealy hoping to hit in november for your squats if everything continues as is?

Permabanned
I went and trained chest with a guy the other day and i think his mind melted lol he knew my bench was 'ok', he too benched about 120 for reps, but when he saw my grip he was like WTF IS THAT!!

Am i the only one that benches with rack width grip as standard? Ive always found it strong and comfortable, i dont like the feeling of a standard width grip (maybe something to address in time), can only assume it means my triceps dont get involved so much?

Ice got an opinion?

EDIT: reason i posted here is i was reading ice's wide grip reps, maybe shoulda been in gymratz thread but who cares.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Hi Ice. Sorry to hijack, but sent you an email.. bwahah :p
I'll get on it!
nice squatting ice, looks like the recovery is coming along nicely.

What are you idealy hoping to hit in november for your squats if everything continues as is?
Thanks, it's still early days though. If I can hit something decent for 5 reps on friday and still have no pain then I'll be happy.

I really don't have a weight that I'm aiming to squat, I almost think that would be bad for my recovery. I guess if I can hit a comp PB (anything over 200kg) then I'll be happy.
I went and trained chest with a guy the other day and i think his mind melted lol he knew my bench was 'ok', he too benched about 120 for reps, but when he saw my grip he was like WTF IS THAT!!

Am i the only one that benches with rack width grip as standard? Ive always found it strong and comfortable, i dont like the feeling of a standard width grip (maybe something to address in time), can only assume it means my triceps dont get involved so much?

Ice got an opinion?

EDIT: reason i posted here is i was reading ice's wide grip reps, maybe shoulda been in gymratz thread but who cares.
Going as wide as the rack is illegal in IPF powerlifting, because if you add in an arch there is basically zero ROM.

However, if you have crazy long monkey arms then going wider is going to be more comfortable and naturally stronger. From memory, your ams are pretty long... It still might be worth mixing it up a bit though.

For me, going that wide is weaker (although it seems to be gathering pace at the moment now I think about it) so I use it as an assistance exercise.

Back
Top Bottom