• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

icecold's training log

Man of Honour
OP
in one way it keeps people in focus, in another way i think it can alienate beginners, no no i dont scare all of them away with my ranting.

What impresses me most is the strength level of the more experienced lifters, i dont count myself in this bracket as anything ive achieved has been with my needley friend, most forums that would be a given, but here im the exception and some way off being either the strongest biggest or most impressive. That speaks volumes about the quality of lifters on this forum.
Agreed.

I hope you don't actually undervalue your achievements, being as strong/jacked as you are is what it is regardless of enhancements.
To be 6-10 years younger and have this knowledge and the support network around that there is now - I may have got to be as good as you by now ice! Loving your workouts and training. :cool:
Thanks!

I see it exactly the same way! If I'd known what I know now and had access to the resources, I could have been a reasonably competitive athlete!
Motherofgod.jpg

That squat volume is ridiculous! Mirin hard broseph
:cool:

I want moar though, as always!

Heavy triple deadlifts tonight, no idea what that means in terms of numbers!

Man of Honour
I think I have a natural ability - I've always been naturally strong - I'm gutted I didn't exploit it when younger. I was at a pretty decent level of rugby playing as well as rowing at uni - just never kept it up. I had quite a short attention span, and got easily distracted with other hobbies (skydiving and women being one of my biggest distractions!). Ah well, although well into my 30s I'm sure I can still achieve some good things - it might just take me a little longer, and maybe not reach my peak. Still happy though.

Love the fact that others have been inspired younger and achieving some remarkable results. :cool:

Man of Honour
OP
Training 12/12/12

Deadlifts
Warmed up, but felt completely shattered. Warm ups from 180-220kg were moving terribly, I just couldn't get a comfortable line. My phyio appointment on thurs confirmed that I was all kinds of tight in my mid/upper back (this is new!) and hammys (not so new).

DB bench
various warm ups
40x6
45x6
47.5x6
45x6x3
Definitely effected by my general fatigue, but still an improvement.

Snatch grip RDL (belted)
100x6
140x6
180x6
170x6x3
Easier belted, but still horrible. I think I've more or less exhausted their usefulness, possibly time to move back to regular RDLs. They must be adding to my back fatigue, plus they've definitely caused some hypertrophy in some places.

Neutral grip CGBP
60x12
70x12x2
Think I've got the hang of these, time to increase load.

Machine row
some

Physio 13/12/12
Just a general "tune up"
Back obliterated, feels awesome now. Injured hammy also given some punishment.

Training 14/12/12

Box squats
Warm ups
140x5
150x5x3
I think I'm finally getting my hammies to fire properly. These went from leaving 1 rep in the tank to 3-4 on the last set. Rehab more or less complete I think. I might do one more week of these but with more weight while still emphasising massive sit back, but with a max of 3 reps. Because of vertical shins and slightly below parallel-ness, the reps take ages and I'm gassed after 2 reps. It's also possible that these where better because of the physio work...

Paused bench
bar x lots
60x10
80x5 paused
100x5 forgot what I was doing!
115x4
110x4x3
107.5x4
Felt pretty good. Just checked last weeks weight, it turns out this was nice progress. Again, these were getting stronger through the sets. I think its possible that really forcing tightness has added to my fatigue; focussing more on control and speed was lots better (this is not general advice, definitely specific to how I'm screwed up). Again, physio definitely earned his money here.

Pull downs
Various variations
Unusual I know, but I had a hunch that these would allow me to control my shoulder position. I was right, and was able to hit the parts of my back that I wanted.

Cobra row (???)
Me and Dom trying something our physio mentioned a while ago. Not very useful for me, but Dom and another guy found a lot of value in it.

Today (and physio thursday) reminded me of the importance of keeping on top of tissue quality. Despite having decent range in my hammies, their tissue quality was terrible. My mid/upper back being messed up is something I'll be keeping on top of. Good lord, even more warm up time!

Warmed up for the bro down tomorrow :cool:

Edit: I've just realised, next goal is 500lb (227.5kg) squat :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Training 15/12/12

Paused deads (belted)
warm ups
140x3
180x1
200x4
210x3.......2? Got to the pause on the 4th rep, but it didn't budge on the up command :D
200x4
195x4
Very happy with these, equal rep PB.

WG Bench
100x3
112.5x5x3
110x5
Not bad. Pecs will full of DOMS from yesterday.

Curlz
some weight + short bar x 10x3 = gains

ALSO, today was the mini Gym Rats meet at my gym. Great fun, and a few PBs that I'll let the guys post about.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Just got home and the fatigue is kicking my butt now. Time to chow down.

Going to work on the pieces you mentioned. Do you have a link to the small band Dom uses for the medial glute work?

Also my nose still has some salt after smell.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I don't know where he got it from actually, hopefully he does! Don't think he'll be replying until tomorrow...

Yeah, those salts will stay with you! You might find them more useful for deads where you're more comfortable with the movement. Next meet my plan is to use use your actual name... it really shouldn't be so confusing!

Man of Honour
OP
I've never really thought about it, it's not really a limiting factor for me for whatever reason (possibly because I started pausing with lighter weights).

For you... try a 2 second pause after the bar has stopped moving after your unrack, as well as between reps.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I'm not sure how much holding the bar in the start position effected my lifts, but I have a feeling lowing the bar slowly may be more of a factor.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah I meant to add: Try it and see how it feels. If it destroys your sets and means you have to use less weight, stick with it for a while.

Caporegime
Mr.Ice, further to our discussions about getting out of the hole quicker on squats, should I just continue as I am working set wise then do a dropset or two really focusing on this?

It'd be a shame to just drop the weight back after finally hitting triple figures! :p Naturally I'll work on it regardless either way. :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Try a heavy top set or two, then drop down and really hit some volume at a weight you can really move fast for 5 reps. 5 sets sounds about right too. Maybe start at 70kg and progress weekly.

Caporegime
Without sounding snobbish, will this still allow for some size growth? As I'm usually doing 3x8 and not focusing on strength. Should the first heavy set or two just be for reps I can manage basically?

I'll try 70kg though and see how that shifts.

Back
Top Bottom