• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

icecold's training log

Man of Honour
Heh... Your fatigue sessions are the stuff of my aspirations! :)

Sleep is good (don't try jerking tired :)eek:) - you'll jaw yourself with a barbell (or that could just be me who does that... :()! Enjoy!

Man of Honour
OP
Heh... Your fatigue sessions are the stuff of my aspirations! :)

Sleep is good (don't try jerking tired :)eek:) - you'll jaw yourself with a barbell (or that could just be me who does that... :()! Enjoy!
I'm looking forward to the oly stuff, but it will probably mostly be snatch tomorrow with some token 60kg C&J. Well, that's the plan, the reality will probably see me over stretch my limits and snap something off :D
Ice you taking warm up tips from that Austrian guy now? :p
You mean the American chap who jumped straight in with your benching? Hah, not quite! Did standard warm ups with a lot of lacrosse ball in my back to try and loosen things up. It didn't work though!

Man of Honour
OP
Bodyweight: 84.9kg

Sleep status: 8 hours

Well, it seems like weight is falling off me. This is fully carbed and creatined up too. Time to eat more for a week.

Man of Honour
OP
Training 05/01/13

Long paused squat
bar x lots
60x10
100x4
140x4
160x4x3
Really good. Still a bit bothered by my right quad, but it's improving.

Wide grip long paused bench
bar x lots
60x5
80x4
100x4
110x4x2
105x4x2
Nice! Stupidly strong compared to yesterday's comp paused triples :rolleyes:

Neutral close grip bench press
50x12
60x10
70x10

Mobility for oly work
All kinds

Klokov press
bar x some x some

Hang cleans
a few

Hang snatch shrugs
some

Chins with pause at top
bw x8x4

Great session! The full nights sleep left me feeling really strong. Didn't get time to do much actual oly stuff because I was coaching someone. I was also coaching Dom to snatch, which went really well. Plan is to go in again and just smash out something in the region of 50 snatch reps in doubles and triples. From there I'll decide what drills I need to work on. I'm going to take a similar approach with cleans; I can't be arsed to mess around for weeks building a perfect movement, maybe if I had a proper coach it would work... I'm sure I can tweak as I go with reasonable success, especially if Dom gets up to speed on oly stuff.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
What's the function of the wide grip bench pressing? More pec? I like the idea of NG close grip bench press.

Do you have 2 consecutive rest days at the moment? According to CBL I should back load as normal on the last rest day before training. So I back load tonight as I didn't train on Saturday either.

Permabanned
What's the function of the wide grip bench pressing? More pec? I like the idea of NG close grip bench press.

I bench pretty wide i find i get good pec and delt activation a lot less tricep. Becoming something of a hindrance to me these days tho. Will be interesting to discuss at the meet this weekend

Man of Honour
OP

Do you have 2 consecutive rest days at the moment? According to CBL I should back load as normal on the last rest day before training. So I back load tonight as I didn't train on Saturday either.
It's to shift emphasis to the pecs, which is to help with speed off the chest. In theory.

I've trained 4 days a week for a while now, mostly adding a Saturday as a catchup day. As you aren't really too bothered about maxing out the last few % of fat loss potential, you'd definitely be ok with moderate carb loading on all off days. Generally, I just have a normal dinner.
I bench pretty wide i find i get good pec and delt activation a lot less tricep. Becoming something of a hindrance to me these days tho. Will be interesting to discuss at the meet this weekend
Yeah I've grown to quite like it, I'm getting pretty strong with it too.

I forgot the meet was this weekend :cool:

Training 06/01/13

Laps around the track
some
Hamstrings and adductors say, "WTF is this ****?!"

Over-head warm up:
Pec mobility and soft tissue stuff
Band dislocations
Klokov press
OH squats

Platform was busy, so decided to do...

Behind the neck push press - aiming for very little press out
60x3
70x3 terrible, wake up glutes!
70x3 awesome
80x3
90x3 - easy on the way up, terrifying on the way down
That will do, and the platform is free

C&J - 1 clean per set
40x3
40x3
40x3
40x3
40x3
40x3
40x3
40x3
Felt pretty good, flailing was minimised after the first set. I have a video of the second to last set. Need to make sure I keep my speed up, but was pretty tired from taking short rests. I think I can increase this without worrying too much about form breakdowns. Need to work on cleans separately too.

Snatch shrug
40x3xsome

Power snatch
40x3
40x3
40x3
40x3
40x3
40x3
Ran out of time. These were a lot less pretty than the jerks, but better than I feared they'd be. Video of first set is pretty bad! "Jumping" too early, zero extension, and my back wasn't flat. Very easy though. Going to stick with 40kg until it's perfect.

Curlz
super setted with snatch, oh yes.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Nice oly lifting, I like the pre-lift nod ;)

Yea I'll likely tweak CBL like you said. Next week I'll be strict and see how it goes.

Any benefit of putting the mini band around my knees during some squats?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Yeah you might like get something out of the mini band, try it on your warm ups and maybe do some drop sets with it.

Training 07/01/13

Fuark, massively underestimated the fatigue from the oly lifting I did. Warming up my glutes and adductors were just dead.

Squats
bar x lots
60x10
100x5 no glutes! :(
140x3 a bit better
160x1
180x1 not quick
200x1 more not quick
210x2 rubbish!
195x1 nope. Completely dead in the glutes and adductors
100x25 as punishment. Easy, annoyingly, but I couldn't be arsed to do more

Long paused bench
bar x lots
60x6
80x3
100x3
110x2
120x2 PB?
122.5x2 PB
115x2
115x2
115x2
115x2
115x2 loooooong pauses to finish me off

Deficit DB split squats - full hip flexion time! (per hand weights)
35x6x4
:'(
Das pump

Machine row
lots

Powered through the session after the squats. It basically one massive circuit. Swolertrophic.

Man of Honour
OP
Pure cardio!

Tried to bench directly afterwards, zero blood in brain made me completely forget what I was doing. Forgot to pause, racked bar, almost fell over standing up to quickly... Good times!

Man of Honour
OP
Training 09/01/13

Deadlift
bar x lots
60x10
100x5
140x3
180x2
200x1
225x3 1 left in the tank
212.5x3x4 got better (then worse :D) as I went on!
Felt great tonight, not up to pre-snap numbers but I think my hammies/adductors are waking up. It's the best that deadlifting has felt since the tear.

Paused 1 board press
bar x lots
60x10
80x4
100x4
110x3 too easy
120x4
125x4
125x4
122.5x4
122.5x4
120x4
120x4
Where did that come from?! 10kg PB with the addition of pauses.

Paused RDL
150x5
165x5
175x5
165x5

Narrow grip bench
100x8
100x10 why not, right?

Best session in a while.

Soldato
Ice, couple of things, crazy RDL's do you use straps for them?

Glad to hear your I juries are healing up nicely. What are 1 board presses?

And would you mind checking out my box squats please :)

Man of Honour
OP

Yeah the RDLs are strapped. There is no way I'd try and pause that without them, no point for me.

I HOPE my injuries are healing up, there is still time for them to let me down.

1 board press is similar to pin press, but there is a block of wood (or whatever) being held on your chest that typically ranges from 1-1.5" (I think mine is 1.5"). Because you're effectively still holding the weight on your chest (rather than pins), it's a little bit more specific to benching.

Soldato
Ah yeap got you on the board press, seen them before.

I need some straps purely for RDL's as my grip is the weak point and stop me doing 100+ for decent reps.

Back
Top Bottom