• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

icecold's training log

Man of Honour
OP
I'm using AIDS to describe the general feeling of grotty snappage that can arise during or after lifting.

Suggested usage:

"Hey man, those squats looked strong"

"Yeah, but they felt like AIDS"

In this case, it seems that after every comp where I've forgotten to stretch my pecs afterwards I end up with a lot of tension in my AC joint and associated discomfort in my supraspinatus (part of rotator cuff, runs above your scap and inserts into the joint). It just feels horrible with occasional sharp pain and a dull ache most of the time, and my physio warned me that if I'm not careful with it I could have an AC separation and then it's no more pressing anything ever. It will clear up, but the fact that it's flared up again means that I'm going to have to be a lot more deliberate with attacking my pec tightness and external rotation strength.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
lol I thought it was an abbreviation for something sport injury-ish. Sucks you're having a tough time pressing. Seems like if you want to lift heavy ass weights your body is determined to stop you.

Man of Honour
OP
:D

It doesn't matter quite so much at the moment because my primary goal is making all kinds of lean gainz, so lifting maximally isn't quite as important (short rests and more sets to take up the slack...). I figure that as long as I don't do anything that hurts it,do a lot of good antagonist work and stretching I'll be stronger in a few weeks.

Man of Honour
OP
Training 18/2/13

Covered my shoulder wounds with some dressing things and covered those in zinc oxide tape. Let's do dis.

Squats
bar x lots
60x10
100x4
140x4
160x1
185x4
185x4
185x4
185x4
185x4
185x4
Yeah buddy. Still uncomfortable as ****, but better. Squats were good too!

Paused bench
bar x lots
60x8
90x5
112.5x1 nope! Shoulder uncomfortable
105x4 still nope. Feels like I'm driving everything through my non-monged up shoulder. Decided that it's silly to risk it. BB mode engage
80x12
90x10
90x10
90x10
Short rests!

Wide grip bench
90x6 - somehow easier on my shoulder :confused:
100x6
95x6
95x6
Happy with these. Not far of my strongest

Seated row super set
12x2

Also, the club has just shelled out for some new bars. Sweet jesus they're handsome! I think Dom has pictures...

Man of Honour
OP
This is true, I'm paying the price now! I think it'll be fine as long as I can do volume, but I might rest it completely until Saturday now. I will smash my triceps on Weds though :cool:

On a dietary note, it's becoming very hard to back load enough. Before I would aim to get 400g but would let myself off at ~350g if I couldn't be arsed. Now I'm shooting for 450g fairly strictly. I think I'll get used to the extra, I think I just need to rely more heavily on dextrose. I dropped down to 100g dextrose PWO which leaves a considerable deficit, but made it possible to eat relatively soon after training.

Man of Honour
OP
Not in one sitting, but in the space of around 3 hours maximum.

Relying HEAVILY on haribo, but I think I need some variety before I get sick of it. I don't like using milk in a backload either :(

I think something like this might work:

- 50g PWO
- meal with ~100g to 150g
- shake with 150g
- haribo, donuts, etc. to make up the rest.

Associate
112.5x1 nope! Shoulder uncomfortable
105x4 still nope. Feels like I'm driving everything through my non-monged up shoulder. Decided that it's silly to risk it. BB mode engage
Ive had that feeling for years with both AC joints :(

However to foloow and do 90 for much reps, you arent as bad as you might think. Just ease off the heavy **** for a couple of weeks. If its really bad you wouldnt be able to do 40kg..really!

Soldato
Not in one sitting, but in the space of around 3 hours maximum.

Relying HEAVILY on haribo, but I think I need some variety before I get sick of it. I don't like using milk in a backload either :(

I think something like this might work:

- 50g PWO
- meal with ~100g to 150g
- shake with 150g
- haribo, donuts, etc. to make up the rest.

2 Croissants with butter, and an overripe banana, i find it really light on the stomach and makes up 55g carbs :)

Man of Honour
OP
Cornflakes? ;)
Spice things up.........

Frosties.
Special K?
Ive had that feeling for years with both AC joints :(

However to foloow and do 90 for much reps, you arent as bad as you might think. Just ease off the heavy **** for a couple of weeks. If its really bad you wouldnt be able to do 40kg..really!
Yeah if I was really worried I wouldn't be doing any pushing movements at all for a few weeks. I'm probably still doing too much though, which is why I'm going to rest it until Sat/Mon depending on how it feels.

Stretching every day too and lot's of upper back strengthening work. I'm seeing this as an opportunity to actually fix my pec tightness while I'm "resting", as even the slightest shoulder protraction under load causes pain. Since tight pec is what's pulling my into protraction, I'm really hoping that this logic makes sense :D

Man of Honour
OP
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/7622/5-minute-chocolate-mug-cake.aspx

Replace tablespoon of cocoa with whey of your choice? Got to be quite good for CBL and change the flavour of the whey to stop you getting bored. Pretty sure you can scale up the time spent microwaving it and make a 'bowl' cake.

Going to try it tonight as a iifym dessert

kd
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'd have to scale it up considerably to get enough carbs to make it worthwhile.

Fitting treat type stuff into this isn't a problem, but I need to find easy ways of bulking out the majority of the backload without massive bloating.
2 Croissants with butter, and an overripe banana, i find it really light on the stomach and makes up 55g carbs :)
I will try this!

Man of Honour
I read the CBL book the other day. Really very interesting but the reading "Relying HEAVILY on Haribo" seems to have convinced me that I need it in my life. Weird huh.

Man of Honour
OP
Cons:
- backloads aren't as fun as they sound
- if you don't train at a high enough %, you shouldn't backload
- some people find low carbing to be a ballache

Pros:
- backloads are EXACTLY as awesome as they sound most of the time
- mad lean gainz

Back
Top Bottom