• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

icecold's training log

Man of Honour
OP
Some crazy squats ice, impressive!
Why the deadlift deload?
I'm just thinking that there is still some imbalance left over from recovering from my hamstring tear. I'm still not happy with how things feel over about 160kg in terms of speed and technique. I'm going to add 5kg a session and deadlift twice a week until I hit 200kg. Also allows me to keep my rests stupidly short.
Ice, you got a decent Vid for the YTWLs? X
I've looked, but it seems that youtube is letting me down.

This is ok:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgCs7MI0EX8
30 reps of 185kg squats. Ridiculous,.
My legs agree with you today!

Man of Honour
OP
Awesome, be good to finally meet you!

Training 25/2/13

Absolutely shot today for some reason, so did the minimum possible.

Mobility

YTWL

Squats
bar x lots
60x12
100x5
140x3 - in hindsight I should have done more... Felt good though
160x1
185x2 Where are my glutes?!
185x2
185x2
185x2
185x2
185x2 - best rep of the day: last rep :confused: Eff yew glutes
Tight adductors and glutes, I'll give them some love this week. I was still pretty flexible though somehow. All reps were handsome, just some slower than I'd like.

Bench - peppered my shoulder explosion angus
bar x lots - felt really good
60x10
80x8
90x10
100x10 few reps in the tank. Not bad considering 10 reps is my PB :)
100x10
100x7 - it was still comfortable at this point, but the bit of my pec that seems to pull my shoulder out did some kind of twitch thing. Decided to leave it on that basis. No pain or discomfort, just playing it safe. Very pleased with how this went!

Pec stretching and soft tissue work

Fin

Man of Honour
OP
Nice Ice! At my peak I squatted 185 for 5 sets of 5 so you've just helped me make up mind up whether to have another bash at 5/3/1 or go back to Bill Starr's 5x5! :cool:

Three days of squatting... *drools* :D
I did some Bill Starr 5x5 years ago, solid programme!

Anyway, didn't 531 result in you getting over fatigued/injured? That looks like an easy choice :D

Caporegime
I did some Bill Starr 5x5 years ago, solid programme!

Anyway, didn't 531 result in you getting over fatigued/injured? That looks like an easy choice :D
I don't find BS 5x5 particular great for bench or deadlifts but I usually get ridiculous gains on my squats which I love more than any other exercise. If I didn't enjoy a bit of variation I'd happily spend my life on Smolov though :D

It did indeed. Completely wrote off 531 as a concept when my leg fell off but I'm more open to it again now I've had time to reflect. I think I just misjudged how much the 5x10 rep scheme of the BBB variation would take out of me and tried pushing myself further than my body would allow. No reason why other variations would have the same effect and wouldn't provide gains though.

Back
Top Bottom