• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

icecold's training log

Man of Honour
OP
It's not exactly my glutes, but it's that area. Explained here.

Training 27/05/12

Squat 6x5x170kg

Ab wheel x lots

Hmmm. Managed to smash them out, but it was pretty painful. First set was great, I got a massive adrenalin rush and felt like I could have done 15. On the second set I was more cautious, and I think that the resulting slowness into the bottom of the squat is what is causing me so much trouble. For the last two sets I dropped more aggressively (no faster than "normal" pain free squats) and things were much better.

I spent AGES after this rolling my lacrosse ball into my glutes, turns out my right side was in a terrible state! Piriformis/everything was tight and extremely painful to treat. Felt great afterwards though, so I'm going to do this again a few times this week.

I'm not entirely sure what to do now. Even though the pain isn't quite enough to stop me squatting, I'm still leaning towards resting it for 2 weeks. If I ignore it and it gets any worse it WILL stop me squatting, and even with the current level of pain I can see it removing KGs from a max effort lift. Not to mention the fact that ignoring it so far has stopped it from healing, which has to be bad news.

If by some miracle there is no pain on friday then I'll just carry on from there. Other than squats I'm not going to drop anything else, so I'll still be split squatting tomorrow.

Bottom line: I'd much rather sacrifice even 15kg off my max and be pain free. By the time nationals come around, I may well have caught back up anyway.

Soldato
It sounds like a plan, as you say you can make the qualifying total easy enough. Why risk aggrivating the injury? There's not much to gain by pushing through it but a lot to lose.

I'm curious, at the start of your log you say you need to be 85kg does that mean you'll drop the other 2kg by dehydration or what?

I'm unfamiliar with PL comps but I wouldn't mind competing at some stage :)

Associate
That's much more rational than your normal plans :). Do that, because as you know it's almost hard for you to not qualify but if it isn't better by the time nationals comes along it will probably have a serious impact on the weights you get. I'd be tempted to give it a week with no squatting whatsoever, inc. split squats, then add them in on the second and see how it goes from there. You are going to miss out on anything by not having squats for a week.

Man of Honour
OP
The plan was to get to 85kg a few days before the comp, so that I would be able to comfortably make weight with glycogen depletion/dehydration. However, the more weight I can lose the less I have to dehydrate, which makes the 24 hour pre-comp period much easier. PL comps are a lot of fun, I'd recommend one.

I tend to have a serious problem with giving myself time off, so this was a tougher decision than it should have been!

I'll consider dropping split squats too, but I'll base it on whether they cause any pain at all. You're right, a week off all squatting isn't going to affect anything.

Soldato
I'm leaving anything combat related for the next few months and I'll see where I'm at.

I should be able make the qualifying total at 83kg but not at 93 :p

Anyways I know how you feel, I hate missing training but sometimes it's the lesser of two evils!

Associate
Yeah there is no point dropping them if they aren't doing you any harm. Although if they are affecting you in the slightest I would kick them for a bit, just to speed recovery.

On a side note, traffic in and out of town is at a stand still so no point leaving for gym until it clears :/.

Man of Honour
OP
Training 28/05/12

Bench 8x4x115kg

Lots of failed reps today! I was shattered and dehydrated from too much walking around in the sun. First set was pretty easy, then lats and right pec/tricep tightened up and it became pretty gruelling.

It turns out that the soft tissue work I did yesterday was pretty savage as I've got some pretty intense glute DOMS today. I decided to completely rest my lower body because of this, so I might try the split squats tomorrow.

Man of Honour
OP
Training 29/05/12

Push press up to 90kg

Strict press several sets of 5 at 60kg

TRX push ups 3x8

"Aggressive lat rolling" x pain

Mostly a session to get some blood and movement into my shoulders/triceps. No injuries here (yet), but everything is really tight from all the benching.

Glute-thing feels a lot better so I may be on for some friday/saturday squatting :)

Edit: Also, my tub of MP almond butter arrived. The reviews are a little mixed, but I like it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Training 30/05/23

Deads
3x3x200kg
3x3x162.5kg

Power shrugs 3x5x140kg

RLD 3x8x130kg

BOR 3x8x80kg

Good mornings 3x8x100kg

Chin grip pull downs 3x8x86kg

Leg raises x lots

No drama. Fixed the "backy-ness" of my deads, glute pain was stopping me from tensioning my hamstrings properly. Power shrugs were a little easy.

Also, I'm getting quite lean, which is a shock!

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Missed your last update, really good lifting there. My core would be finished after doing deads, RDL and BOR, not to mention good mornings!!

I'm starting to appreciate my core a lot more and trying to bring it up to scratch. I can do heavy weight but I tire too quickly.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah I'm really enjoying smashing my core. I'm trying to split it up into endurance and strength sessions, but because it's so bad at the moment that's effectively the same thing :D. Last nights leg raises were with pretty high reps, which was a surprise after not doing them for a few weeks and struggling to get 10 clean reps for sets.

Just about to go and finish off smolov jr, and I'm going to stretch the **** out of my glutes/hams in the hope that I can squat in the next few days.

Man of Honour
OP
Training 31/05/12

I was supposed to finish smolov bench with 10x3x122.5kg but it just wasn't happening! I got two sets out before I just completely fatigued, and I struggled with 3 more before calling it a day. Considering how simply I completed 10x3x120kg last week I must just be severely suppressed, so in a way it's a good thing.

Instead, I did this:

Bench (2 count pause)

110kg flew up

115kg likewise

120kg lost my line slightly

125kg flew up, paused PB! lol

Left it there for paused stuff. I pretty sure I had 130kg in me, even after ballsing up my working set, but decided it was time to encourage some recovery. Kind of in line with that thinking, and also because I've never actually done 10 reps with 100kg, I thought I'd give it a go.

100kgx9.89999

Mother******! :D Frustrating as balls! It was so close that I was tempted just to take it, but no :mad:

Then I finished off with some high rep pulling stuff because my back was smoked.

Gemmelus pain update: almost pain free. I'll think about going in today, but I may not have time.

Back
Top Bottom