• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

icecold's training log

Man of Honour
OP
I'm not going to worry about it, it's probably more that I'm "over" contracting my left side but just doing enough on the right.

If there's actually hip sway at heavier weights then it's more of a problem, but even then it'll go when I'm healed.

The hamstring stretching seems to have done some good things in that department actually, fingers crossed.

Thoughts on depth?

I want to see what the you guys at Iffley think asap.

Man of Honour
OP
Contemplated doing bench today to try to catch up with my schedule, but looking at the rest of the week that wouldn't be a great idea.

Starting to think about openers for the comp. I have no idea for squat and dead yet (190/220????), but 120kg bench might be a good bet. I'll work in some paused stuff after smolov jr.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Opener is the first of the 3 attempts for a lift?

Are you deadlifting more than once a week? How do you find squatting more than once a week?

Man of Honour
OP
That's the plan. 120kg for 10 triples was comfortable, so that should just be a case of getting some paused reps in. I'm planning on being conservative on squats and deads, so 190kg and 220kg might be a little too aggressive. If I'd done this last year, I'd almost certainly be opening with a 200kg squat :(

Deads are only once a week. Squatting twice a week is considerably easier than smolov :D These weights are easy at the moment though, things get interesting in a few weeks.

Man of Honour
OP
512.5kg I think, which is one of the reasons I'm considering being extra conservative with squats and deads. With a 120kg bench, I only need 177.5kg squat and 215kg dead, for example... Although tbh I'll be disappointed if I don't get to squat over 200kg.

This isn't exactly a huge problem, I'm just musing.

Associate
It's funny because if you went as light as possible on squats and reads we'd be getting very similar numbers :D.

Isn't that a nice thought ;)

Man of Honour
OP
Training 23/5/12

Bench 6x6x102.5kg

Deads

2x225kg
5x3x187.5kg

RDL 3x8x125kg

I was time limited so didn't get around to everything. Bench was surprisingly tough, 6 reps seems like a lot! :o

Wasn't entirely pleased with the top set of deads, I was really finding that I wasn't getting strong glute drive because of my weird injury (which actually feels a bit better today). Speed wasn't terrible, but it was a little backier than I would have liked. Weight drops down next week so I'll be able to sort this out.

Man of Honour
OP
It's funny, sometimes I'm convinced it's gotten loads better and then I'll put weight on it somehow or sit on it and it hurts again. I'm going to try warming up for squats with pull throughs tonight to see if this makes a difference.

Also, it occurred to me that I was being a little negative about my deads. It's still a seasons PB, or something :D

Associate
Yeah there is nothing to be sniffed at there :).

I though I was going to have a mare on my squats tonight but something magically fixed itself :confused:. Check out the vid when it's up.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Vid checked and commented on! I think you just need to get used to shifting heavy weights again, not a big deal.

Training 25/5/12

Bench 7x5x110kg

Squats - nope! Glute too painful

Good mornings 3x8x90kg

Chin grip pulldowns 3x8x80kg

BOR 3x8x80kg

Med ball pushup 2x10

30 deg. raise 3x10

Rear delt cable fly 3x10

30 mins of stretching glutes and hamstrings

Mixed session! Bench was initially going very badly, first 2 sets were grindy towards the end, 3rd set last rep was spotted, 4th set I dropped a rep. Then I took a bigger rest, rolled my lats (which were totally ****ed) and right tricep (which is what was fatiguing first) and proceeded to bang out the rest of the sets without an issue. I think my bench is well and truly smoloved.

My glute was feeling a little rough today before I even started, but it didn't get any better as I was warming up. There was a glimmer of hope at 100kg when I was able to sit at the bottom and ignore the pain (which has previously relaxed the whole system and allowed me to squat), but there was a very minor niggle on the front of my left leg that I attacked before the 140kg warmup. Somehow in this gap my glute seized up and felt horrible for the 140kg, and was still terrible when I went to 170kg. It's possible that I could have pushed through, but a) probably not clever, b) I was already tired and hungry, and c) it's not a big deal if I just leave it until tomorrow.

When I stretched it felt like I was pulling stuff apart in a good way, so hopefully it's just that everything had gotten a little tight for whatever reason.

If it's still bad tomorrow then I may have to take a week off squatting, which means a slight re-jigging of plans.

Man of Honour
OP
A lot better, but we'll see!

Oh, the PT bands are in the country, but we may have to pay some tax on them :(

Weight loss in on target, just about! I want to be below 85kg by June 15th. Carbs will be reduced from now on, along with no more dairy :)(). I may have a carb up depending how recovery is going, but it should be ok considering how things are going.

Man of Honour
OP
Secondary new plan: Squat tomorrow, sack of monday's squats for extra recovery if necessary.

Can't fit a session in today any more, but it kind of works out well. It feels pretty good at the moment, so tomorrow I'll warm up thoroughly and accept the slight drop in power from stretching everything too.

Back
Top Bottom