• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

icecold's training log

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks, it's coming along finally. I should be able to hit a nice PB after the comp. At the moment I'm just aiming for 135kg paused in comp, which would be awesome.

Man of Honour
OP
Did a bit of squatting yesterday.

It felt pretty good, I could still feel my injury but when I got going there was no pain that I noticed.

I worked up slowly through the weights (5-10kg increments) until I failed 200kg! No big deal though, it was because I messed up my decent and fell forwards - I'm still not entirely used to being smacked in the face with smelling salts. I'm not sure how heavy I'll go on Sunday given that I could still feel my injury... I might call it a day at 190kg and just do two lifts.

Man of Honour
OP
I was meant to do my full deadlifting + assistance + paused benching up to opener yesterday, but my back was feeling a little dodgy from falling forwards on my 200kg squat.

Deads
100x5
140x3
180x2 - felt really fast
200x1 - nice also
225kg back felt funny so aborted. I used smelling salts, and I think there is a pattern emerging because apparently I set up quite differently
210kg felt fine
225kg - no salts and set up was better, but it felt like it was going to be too slow for the week before a comp so left it there for the heavy stuff. I figure if I just do 220 and 230 at comp then that's my working weights for this week done :p

187.5kg 3x3

Power shrugs
3x5x165kg

Bench
bar x lots
60 x 8
80 x 5
100 x 3
110 x 1 long pause - very quick
120 x 1 long pause - smooth!

Good mornings
3x8x120kg - fine

etc etc

Lots of stretching

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Bench press has come along nicely :)

I'm scared to try to squat 200 again, it's still fresh in my memory how hard it was. Another part of me wants to try again though and get confident.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks, in a complete reversal of fortune it's progressing best out of the three at the moment. 200kg at your (soon to be our \o/ lol) bodyweight is a lot of weight, but I'm sure you'll progress past it.

After some pondering, which might seem irrelevant, I've decided to change my short term game plan slightly. Basically, I'm not going to push myself too hard to produce a special lift at nationals. If that ends up happening then great, but to train for that after a) dropping a load of weight, and b) coming back from injuries in only a couple of months would be crazy. The really big PBs will come in December or the new year, right now I need to get comfortable at this bodyweight (i.e. be able to eat at maintenance for a change) and not aggravate my injury.

Man of Honour
OP
Last meal consumed a few hours ago, feeling relatively ok despite carb depleting.

I should make weight comfortably, I'm hoping to go to bed just under 84kg and then just coast the rest of the way.

Man of Honour
OP
A change of training plans...

I need to get my injury sorted. Although the muscle isn't a prime mover in anything I do, it messes up anything with hip extension and that covers 2/3 of my important lifts.

So, the plan is to begin an off season training phase with my favourite stock routine to add a little mass, HST. I'm also preliminarily going to say that I'm going to pass on nationals this year. This allows the following:

1) Not pushing myself to train for an important comp through an injury
2) Remove the pressure of wanting to do well at nationals so I can focus on what I need to
3) Continued fat loss is easier and I don't have to worry about a calorie deficit being detrimental to my peaking phase
4) I can work on my conditioning

If I feel fine after 6 weeks of HST then I may taper and compete, but at the moment I don't see my injury going away if I'm slamming it multiple times a week with heavy stuff.

HST may start this evening, and I'm looking forward to it while simultaneously dreading the 15 rep phase!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Sounds like you just need a break from all the comp stuff and focus on some training you'll enjoy for a while. If you are focusing on mass won't that push your weight up for future comps?

Also, videos ;)

Man of Honour
OP
Hang on. Are you competing or not, don't leave it hanging on the result of your 6 weeks on HST, make a decision and stick to it then train accordingly :)
That's the point, I can't commit to training for nationals with my injury being the way it is.

I'd already mapped out all of my training until the start of September (nationals is 8th and 9th I think), but there isn't enough room to factor in full recovery.

The other factor is, even if all goes to plan without HST, I may still be lifting a lot less than I want to. If it was a regular comp then this wouldn't bother me, but to rock up to nationals and under perform by 50kg would be a waste of time. For example, I think I'd be very lucky to squat 220kg and deadlift 240kg, which would only just make me competitive.

I think I have to prioritise recovery at this point, there is always next year. Believe me, I want to compete, but I need to think about my long term progression.
Sounds like you just need a break from all the comp stuff and focus on some training you'll enjoy for a while. If you are focusing on mass won't that push your weight up for future comps?

Also, videos ;)
Videos are coming!

That's the other side of this, I was beginning to not enjoy training. I've not squatted without pain for two months now, and the affect on my deadlift was constantly annoying. I was managing to roast the erectors in my lower back because I couldn't keep the tension on my hamstrings at the bottom of the deadlift with higher loads.

I'm not actually looking to add any more weight, I'll be going for more of a re-composition. I'll be able to up my kcals slightly and still lose fat, and I'll also be able to do some sprinting and strongman stuff for conditioning.

Man of Honour
OP
Training 21/6/12

Squats 2x15x110kg

RDL 2x15x105kg

Inc DB press 2x15x27.5kg

WG Pullups 2x15xbw

Dips 2x15xbw

HC2PP 2x15x30kg

****! This beat the **** out of me. Easy weights, but the reps and 90 second rests were horrible!

Felt good though, no injury pain, and I think the reps (lactic acid!) are going to do my injury some good.

Soldato
Do you do HST more then 3 days of the week? I am looking to do this after my current cut. Also I would still go to the gym 4 days a week which means HST would be on 2 consecutive days a week if I was only going to do it 3 out of the 4 days. Do you think this would work?

Man of Honour
OP
I dropped the weights on dips and HC2PP, but they were probably a bit too light in the end.

Two consecutive HST days would be very tough. I'm doing an A/B split, but I'd still be doing a squat variation on those two days. You could tweak it and only have a squat variation and a deadlift variation on each day, but I'm not sure it would be the best idea.

What I'm planning on is doing a fourth day with strongman stuff, so a similar approach would be to have a day of something like powercleans, core stuff, grip work, mobility, complexes, or anything you don't have in HST.

Man of Honour
OP
Training 23/6/12

Front squats 2x15x80kg - postponed due to tightness in adductor

Good mornings 2x15x90kg - easy

Bench press 2x15x75kg tough!

BOR 2x15x67.5kg easy

Arnold press 2x15x16kg - tough, just tired in general. Strict flat back and 80 degree bench

CGBP 2x15x60kg - tiring

EZ preacher curls 2x15x15(+bar)kg easy

All the pressing was tough, for some reason the short rests kill me here. Good session though.

Back
Top Bottom