• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

icecold's training log

Permabanned
Wasn't it Shaun Ray who only trained in an optimal intensity / weight limit, never going maximal as it was detrimental to form when considering hypertrophy. Worked bloody well for him, though that wasn't strength training obviously lol

yeah i think standard modern bodybuilding mentality is purely blood volume so optimal form for optimal reps and weight i think that consistent gains are tough to achieve naturally training this way

Soldato
Maximum lifts are maximum most weight moved from A to B sure there is some form required for a good lift but clean form is for day in day out rep training

Logically speaking, I assumed that when you're lifting at the max possible you'd want to be sure that form is spot on because the risk of injury is high at that level of exertion.

Apologies for going off topic, Ice.

Associate
I suppose that it also depends why you are doing a max lift, are you doing it to win a competition or are you just doing it for fun? If it's the former I would say it is more acceptable to allow form to waver slightly, however if you are just doing it for personal reasons I think it's best to keep to an ideal form.

Man of Honour
OP
Training 18/5/2012

Squats 6x4x170kg

Bench 8x4x112.5kg

Leg press 3x8xsomething

Reverse crunch 2x10

TRX bodysaw 3x8

TRX pushups 15

Loooong session! Squats are a little funny, glute/ham was a little tight as was my ankle, and I didn't loosen them up very much. I got the first two sets videoed (thanks Alex!), and you can see I'm folding over a little bit too far on the first set. Second set is better, and the depth is the same if not better dispute what it looks like. I wasn't happy though and on the remaining sets I found an extra inch. They felt strong throughout though.

Bench was HARD today, my triceps hate me. The very last rep was assisted, but I think that was general fatigue.

Oh, and I've had two vertebrae in my t-spine that have been locked up for the last two weeks that I've just managed to manipulate loose... ALL KINDS OF TENSION released in my upper back/traps!

Associate
Where did you get the salts from in the end?

I think your glutes are a little tight...

Rest of it looks good. I don't want to bench today :(.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah it was hella tight, a bit of light lacrosse ball action helped.

Just google "mackenzies smelling salts". I think I got them from amazon.

Also not looking forward to benching...

Man of Honour
OP
Ice could you explain how you are structuring your sets/reps over the weeks for the main lifts.
Sorry, missed this.

I don't actually have a full plan any more. I made a nice sexy spreadsheet, but then I changed some stuff and didn't bother updating it :p

It's pretty similar to what Dom has posted a screen shot of in his thread, but I'm doing another round of smolov jr bench.

Man of Honour
OP
19/5/12

Bench 10x3x120kg - sacked it off. First set was fine, but trying another two was a fail. It'll be fine by monday.

Snatch derivatives - many, many sets and reps. Started to feel pretty good.

Kettlebell swings - 5 sets of 30-40 reps

Overhead lunge - 1 length of the gym

Stretching/soft tissue work

Man of Honour
OP
Training 21/05/12

Bench 10x3x120kg

Squats 6x2x170kg

Bulgarian split squats 3x5x30kg

Ab Wheel Rollouts 12, 8(with long pauses at the bottom), 8 (no pause, core dead!), 5, 5, longer rest, 8!

Face pulls 3x8x55kg

30 deg. raise 3x8x9(I think)

Many Many Hamstring stretchings

Great session today, smashed out the bench with minimal bother, despite triceps still feeling fatigued.

Squats were initially annoying; I was getting glute pain at the bottom so I wasn't able to focus on getting the depth I wanted with a nice pause. After getting frustrated with set 3 I decided that I was just going to sit into the hole and if I have to bail due to pain then so be it. The pain stopped being an issue, and I started burying my squats! I was able to sit and pause quite comfortably in the hole. Confusing, but satisfying. I think I videoed the second and last sets, although with the last set the random who I asked didn't get my feet in shot.

I've decided that I need to be a lot more aggressive with my split squat weights. They're actually really easy, I don't know why I've been messing about.

Now I've watched it back on a bigger screen, you can see the actual depth quite well if you look in the mirror... :eek: Also, there is a touch of tuck in set 2, but none in set 6.

Pretty pleased!

Man of Honour
OP
...also, I brought my grip in slightly on the squats because my elbows were basically touching my thighs when I started hitting good depth. This felt a little unstable at first, but is actually more comfortable.

Associate
Yep looks good, although weirdly it looks like you are engaging your left glute more than your right. It's probably nothing.

Can you get someone to video you from directly behind for a set on Friday, I just prefer that view for you ;), but seriously do :).

Back
Top Bottom