• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

icecold's training log

Man of Honour
OP
I will do, but as I explained a page or so back, I can't rely on my ankles to not be stiff from sprints so high ankle flexion squats have to be relegated to assistance.

Training 12/11/13

Chins
bw x8
+12x3
18x3
24x3
28x3x3

BOR
60x12
90x8x3

Lat Iso pull down thing
80x8x3

Band face pulls
12x3

Band Ys
12x3

Wall slides
10x3

Pec and lat stretching

Man of Honour
OP
Training 13/11/13

Entered the final "week" of the smolovs, which because of being busy will end next Wednesday. Will I feel like increasing the weights?

Squats
bar
167.5x9x4
Yes, yes I did increase the weight. Was still pretty comfortable, although my cardio was lacking. I can definitely confirm general suppression and fatigue though. All of these sets would be easier if I wasn't in the middle of smolov.

Bench
bar
97.5x6x6
~90 second rests. Never planned to increase this, but I could have done. First set wasn't great, but I hit my groove on the rest and the reps flew. Last reps paused, and I wouldn't expect them to be faster if I'd been doing singles. Scap/lower trap/serratus anterior/triceps pushing mechanics are making great gains. It almost feels like some benching potential is being realised here, so I need to make sure I learn exactly what I'm doing right here and make it stronger.

Man of Honour
OP
Nearly err day is squats and bench day
This is my life now...

RIP deadlift

Training 15/11/13

Squats ~3 min rests
bar
177.5x7x5
Ankles were tight today and I didn't have time to loosen them. The first couple of sets didn't feel great but moved well enough, then the smolov "I don't know what happened in those sets" effect kicked in. I somehow became more cognisant during the last set and noticed that a few reps weren't dipping below parallel like I would have liked (ankles :(). Before I really noticed myself doing it, I found myself pausing the last rep at parallel :confused: If you'd have asked me to do this even on the first set, I would have told you to **** off out of fear of being folded in half. Smolov seems to be confusing my legs.

Bench
bar
105x5x7
Easy, but short rests kicked my arse by the last few sets. Upper back pump!

Man of Honour
OP
Training 18/11/13

Squats
bar
187.5x5x7
First set was lovely and felt like I was good for more than 10, second set was terrible. The rest were good, but this kicked my arse. Bar was still moving well all way through, and depth was smashed.

Bench
bar
110x4x8
Aim here was to maximally contract the mid back bits that seem to be turning on at the moment. Results: first set was ridiculously easy, and then fatigue/pump/cramp struck me down and the sets were slower. Never in any doubt though, and in a way it's a good thing because it shows that I massively stimulated the right bits.

The end is near!!!

Man of Honour
OP
Training 19/11/13

fffuuuuuuuuuuuuuu legs aching so badly from yesterday. Didn't have much time, but decided to nut up and finish off my squats.

Squats
bar
200x3x10

HAHAHA YES! EFFF YEW SMOLOV!

That was really only meant to be 192.5, but I increased all of this weeks weights by 5kg and then it seemed silly not to do 200kg. I paid for the increase in pain on every rep. No snaps, just tendons/muscles completely worn out. The other consistent casualty of smolov has been my shoulders where the bar rests, no bleeding this time but I basically have calluses there.

Depth was sometimes higher than I'd like by an inch, but not frequently enough to be a problem (mostly because I'd bury the rep after noticing a high one).

In hindsight I kind of regret increasing the weight in the final week, but I don't really know what difference it would have made.

Tomorrow I'll finish off my bench, and probably do some very light leg press for active recovery for my legs.

But yes, thank god that's over.

Man of Honour
Bru, cereal question

But without going through every workout you've done on Smolov, have your lifts gone up by much? By the expected amount? More?

Looks brutal, but I wasn't sure if 200x3x10 was roughly where you were at before

Man of Honour
OP
215-220 is my best triple (I think).

You are never going to hit rep PBs on smolov, it wouldn't be possible to complete the programme. It's three weeks of very high volume sub max rep work (4x a week).

The gains come after the routine, which is the essence of every strength programme.

I wasn't snapped up going into this! It's just a case following the programme with sensible weights.

Back
Top Bottom