• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

icecold's training log

Man of Honour
OP
Training 25/6/12

Squat 2x15x117.5kg - easier than last time!

RDL 2x15x112.5kg - same! Although I was gassed after these; strict 90s rests started to go out of the window

Inc. DB press 2x15x30kg - easy again

Pullups 2x15xbw - first set was really easy, boldly went for a very short rest on the second set and had to have a few breaks!

Dips 2x15x10kg - fine, triceps were dying though

HC2PP 2x15x40kg - easy but horrible! Had to take a second on the floor after these. 90s rests :(

FRONT SQUAT 1x15x80kg - to make up for last time. My god, very dead after these.

Good session, still no pain. Tight from previous session but I soon warmed up.

Associate
BTW's offset walking lunges 10 each side are a good way to kill yourself :cool:.

It looks like everything is heading in the right direction bro :).

We are going for food on Wednesday :).

Man of Honour
OP
Where? Atomic Burger?

I'm feeling more optimistic every workout, but at the same time I can't work out why I'm not getting the pain I was. I can still feel it when I sit down and shift my weight, but squatting feels ok.

Man of Honour
OP
That's a change from how it used to be! As I sit now I can't get it to hurt by wiggling around... Progress? Who knows.

No training yesterday or today due to flu. Hopefully I'll be back in tomorrow. I've only technically missed a day so it's not too bad.

I've just realised I still haven't posted my comp video, I blame Dom for withholding my first squat video :mad:

Man of Honour
OP
Training 29/6/12

Front squat 15x90kg, 15x85kg - it was meant to be 85kg :/

GMs 2x15x95kg

Bench 2x15x80kg - easier than last time

BOR 2x15x72.5kg - too easy

Arnold press 2x15x17.5kg - far too easy, added another set with 20kg

Ez curls 2x15x17.5(+bar)kg - far too easy again, did a set with 20kg of plates

CGPB 2x15x65kg - last set went to failure with a 2-board and then a 3-board. Brutal pump!

Ab wheel roll out chain strip sets:
Set 1: 3 chains x 4 --> 2 chains x 5 --> 1 chain x 4 --> 0 chains x 4
Set 2: 3 chains x 3 --> 2 chains x 3 --> 1 chain x 4 --> 0 chains x 3
^ hard!

Man of Honour
OP
Training 01/07/12

The tail end of this flu decided to kick me in the balls today, but I thought it couldn't be bad enough to warrant missing a session.

Squats 2x15x125kg

RDLs 2x15x125kg

Inc DB press 2x15x32.5kg

Then I ran out of time. I was feeling pretty terrible at this point anyway, including the horrible ab DOMS from friday. I should be fine finish off the rest tomorrow.

Edit: On a positive note, I successfully taught Dom to snatch. He videoed his last power snatch complex which I'm not sure if he'll upload, but if he does you will be able to hear how ill I am :D

Edit 2: RDLs were DOH without straps. Considering I'm holding onto the bar the entire time I'd expected my grip to have failed by now, but I was more concerned with just being exhausted! I also felt my injury a little more than normal, and my squats were a little funny as a results. Hopefully that's just an anomaly though.

I'm still just under 85kg, I don't really know how that's happened as I've been eating as much as possible to get myself better. This naturally means doughnuts and biscuits and fudge. And sausage rolls. And Yoghurt.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I love HST, but it is really hard at times. To get the most out of it you really have to push yourself to the point of collapse, and that doesn't mix that well with having the flu :D I can already see changes in my physique, but that's just because most of my muscles have gone nowhere near high reps in a year.

Cheers Delvis. Now I'm back in my good gym I might play around with some DOH rack pulls or just static hangs so I can see where my maximal grip is.

Caporegime
Cheers Delvis. Now I'm back in my good gym I might play around with some DOH rack pulls or just static hangs so I can see where my maximal grip is.

I'm sure I could hold over 100kg+, as ive deadlifted 110kg 6 months ago...It's just for reps, I try and do 20 calves raises holding a BB and my forearms just cramp up :p

Man of Honour
OP
Training 02/07/12

WG pull ups 2x15xbw - easy. Short rest too

Dips 2x15x20kg - comfy

HC2PP 15x45kg, 15x50kg - comfy

Pleased! Flu wasn't so bad today and I felt much stronger. I did a load of aggressive lower body stretching as I didn't have any lower body stuff to do today.

Also, FINALLY, here is the video of my comp performance.

Cheers guys :)

There will be videos posted at some point, we got all of the attempts.

Here's my mini write up...

Making weight was actually pretty easy. The worst part of my prep was the several days of very little sleep, but that was completely my own fault. I've definitely still got more body fat to lose, and I think I'll do that in the next few weeks.

As I mentioned at the time, I spent a long time in the morning waiting around to actually get going. It turns out the seniors (23+ and younger than whatever the masters start at) had nearly 6 hours after first weigh in before lifting started, although I didn't know this at the time. It wasn't a huge problem, but I got pretty hungry.

Squats

I was always going to be very conservative with these due to my injury, but they actually went quite well. Warm ups were fine, although I was still feeling my injury.

1st attempt: 180kg - good lift

Probably one of the better reps at this weight that I've ever done. Nice and deep and very smooth. Minimal injury bother.

2nd attempt: 190kg - good lift

Still very comfortable weight wise, but I felt my injury biting a bit more here so I decided not to do my 3rd attempt.

Bench

Frustrating. Warm ups went badly due to me not noticing someone had put 25kg plates on instead of 20kgs, and also some oddly aggressive lift offs from the local spotter. They yanked the bar out of the rack so hard that I came off the bench with 110kg (I thought it was 100kg). This did something strange to my upper pec and the rep felt really weird on the descent. I was intending on pausing it but just popped it back up. I wanted to do 110kg again so I got Dom in to lift off, but the clueless other spotters grabbed the bar again and pulled me off the bench :/ I ignored Dom's pause commands because it felt strange on my chest again. At this point I didn't have time to work back up through my warm ups again, so the entire this was botched.

As I waited to do my first attempt my upper pec (clavicular, and generally around the insertion at the shoulders) felt as fatigued as if I'd done a few sets of 20. This didn't any get better throughout my attempts.

1st attempt: 120kg - good lift

Went up ok, but it wasn't as pretty as it should have been. The shoes I was lifting in were slipping around on the carpet so I might as well have had them up on the bench :/

2nd attempt: 130kg - fail

Probably shouldn't have gone straight to this given the build up, but it really should have been there. I'd swapped to my deadlifting slippers which helped with grip, but I received the lift off weirdly and had to re-steady myself.

3rd attempt: 130kg - fail

I wasn't confident this would go any differently, but I didn't have anything to lose and I was annoyed. I tried taking it lower down my chest to see if I could take my fatigued areas out of the lift, but I ended up going a bit too low.

This is the only real disappointment of the day, it should have gone very differently.

Deadlifts

Messy. Warm ups were good (even got a few "wow"s and "holy ****"s at my lockout speed :D), but I had less than two minutes after my last warmup (200kg) before my opener.

1st attempt: 215kg - good lift

Felt a bit rubbish, bit it went up.

2nd attempt: 225kg - didn't even bother!

Again, I only had two minutes rest. I set myself up and took the slack out of the bar, but it was going to be ugly so I left it. This sometimes ends up happening, but it really shouldn't. It affected another guy as well causing him to miss his lift.

525kg total weighing 82.2kg, which won me my the 83kg class, but I didn't really have any competition. As I said, I'm only really gutted with my bench, the rest was more a triumph of good sense over ego ;)

Given that my injury still played a big part in today I may have to rethink my plans for nationals. But for now, it's time to feast and do brocep curls.

It's annoying watching those bench attempts, they should have gone so much better. The deadlift looks poor as well... next time!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Training 05/07/12

Good mornings 2x15x100kg

Front squats 2x15x90kg

Bench 2x15x85kg

BOR 2x15x77.5kg

Arnold press 2x15x20kg - the 22.5kg DBs are broken :mad:

EZ curls 2x15x25(+bar)kg, then 1xfailurex40kg with a barbell

CGBP 2x15x75kg, last set straight into 2-board to failure, then 3-board to failure

Holy arm pump!

Did my GMs first to warm up my hammies and adductors a little more. This was awesome for the depth of my front squats, my ass was on my ankles for most reps, but I was a lot more gassed as a consequence.

Everything else was fine. This is was the last workout of the 15 rep phase, I will not miss it.

Back
Top Bottom