Icelandic Volcanic Eruption - Significant Disruption to UK Flights

Apologies for not being clear enough - my post could be misinterpreted :)

I'm still wondering about Katla - will this possibly erupt due to the influence of Eyjafjallajokull? Past history says yes, but in this case I hope it doesn't :confused:

Its been a while since a notable large volcano erupted on a global scale.

Well I guess the odds are "good" looking at the history but nodody knows at the moment.

I guess the resulting eruption will be similar in size to Pinatubo in 91 and St Helens in 81? Nothing more recent I can think of other than maybe Redoubt last year but that wasn't huge in comparison to the other two...

Try now, I think it went down for a while. Looks like the eruption has subsided a lot compared to what it was like two hours ago.

Yeah went down for me too so must have. There was a massive plume of black ash/steam earlier, now some kind of piddly white thing...:p

Well I guess the odds are "good" looking at the history but nodody knows at the moment.

I guess the resulting eruption will be similar in size to Pinatubo in 91 and St Helens in 81? Nothing more recent I can think of other than maybe Redoubt last year but that wasn't huge in comparison to the other two...

Yeah went down for me too so must have. There was a massive plume of black ash/steam earlier, now some kind of piddly white thing...:p

It's picked up again now, lots of dark smoke/ash. :)

Ash plume from Eyjafjallajokull Volcano over northern Europe taken yesterday:

445166mainvolcanomodis2.jpg

Satellite: Terra @ 10 :45 UTC

I was in London on Thursday and Friday, our Hotel was expecting a huge influx of people, and they duly arrived.

Had a small chuckle to myself at the 50+ people stood in the lobby looking put out on Thursday night with all their luggage :p

When Eyjafjallajokull finished erupting in the 1890s, it stopped in January. Katla didn't erupt till June/July that same year.

So im expecting a few months of calm before Katla sees some action if at all. It would be very unlucky to see some reaction so soon. It takes time for the pressure to build up.

You sure thats not just dirt from a dirty car :P

:o

No, most of it appeared last night, I had to clean the windscreen this morning before I went out. :)

My next door neighbour has a black BMW which he keeps spotless and polished, it has the same dust all over it. :)

Isn't stuff going to start dissapearing from shops soon?

Soon? Already. Though it'll be mostly perishables that can't be sourced locally. Some areas are already showing signs. I picked up a few packs of prawns from Thailand today though so it does depend what you want.

I'm off out with camera - it's been hazy this afternoon and there seems like a 'taste' in the air. Maybe.

Interesting - KLM have sent up a B737 from Schiphol as a test flight to assess the effect the ash has. Flight KLM705 if you want to track it.

Back
Top Bottom