• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If Fury X turns out to faster than 980 ti...will you switch?

Caporegime
What if the gap is bigger ?

I doubt it will be tbh. From my past experience owning gtx 670 and gtx 780. The equivalent AMD cards at each time were very similar performance wise. Heck, at present I haven't even got my 980ti yet let alone think of changing. Intel igpu on the 4790k ftw. Funnily enough I've been pretty vocal about how much I wish Intel didn't include an igpu on theese chips as they're hot enough. Now look at me.:o:D

Caporegime
OP
I doubt it will be tbh. From my past experience owning gtx 670 and gtx 780. The equivalent AMD cards at each time were very similar performance wise. Heck, at present I haven't even got my 980ti yet let alone think of changing. Intel igpu on the 4790k ftw. Funnily enough I've been pretty vocal about how much I wish Intel didn't include an igpu on theese chips as they're hot enough. Now look at me.:o:D

That's on the old DDR5 structure though...this is a total new tech...:)

Caporegime
True, but I cant see hbm being that much difference in my case and res. Still on 1920x1200 here. Most likely moving to 2560x1440, which 6gb of gddr5 should cope with ok. As for 4k I think its way too early to adopt this res. You need multi gpu straight off the bat to deal with it. And with current cards such as the TX, that's the best part of two grand. Fury x may/may not change this. But for me personally, 4k is a long long way of.

Caporegime
OP
True, but I cant see hbm being that much difference in my case and res. Still on 1920x1200 here. Most likely moving to 2560x1440, which 6gb of gddr5 should cope with ok. As for 4k I think its way too early to adopt this res. You need multi gpu straight off the bat to deal with it. And with current cards such as the TX, that's the best part of two grand. Fury x may/may not change this. But for me personally, 4k is a long long way of.

I guess you're in a sweet place...you can wait for reviews and see how the fury x performs....

But that only if your head is not in the green camp and open a free to change ;):)

Associate
There are a few reasons why I would not do it:
1. One card is still not powerful enough for 144Hz gaming at higher resolutions so I need two. SLI works way better than Crossifre.
2. I already have two 980 Ti's and I am happy with them.
3. I like G-Sync and Freesync is not as good.
4. I have an expensive G-Sync monitor so I'd rather use it to its full advantage.
5. I've been with AMD for the last 3 years and I am not a fan of their drivers, at least for crossfire.
6. It looks like more games are optimised for Nvidia than AMD (look Witcher 3). As much as I hate the political aspect of Gameworks, it is a fact.
7. Fury is 4GB. We are yet to see if it is enough for higher resolutions (Shadow of Mordor etc).

Caporegime
Yep, traditionally I've always used nv cards, not many have been brand new, more of a bargain hunter here and just happened to be nv cards I picked up at the time as price was good. I've no allegiance as such to any particular brand. But I am interested in gsync, which at present is in a much better state than freesync. But the monitors are a bit more expensive. And once you go gsync your tied to NVIDIA.

Associate
Get me a good deal on a 4K freesync display and I would consider it...until then stuck with gsync and NVidia.

I think this issue of being tied in to monitors and graphics card is a big problem now.

A £500 investment changes to a £1000 investment if you have to change your monitor.

Associate
I have a Titan X so its almost the same:D

Would I switch?

No chance in hell would i ever go back to AMD after the joke that was the 295x2, no HDMI 2.0 support, throttles at 75c and I got sick to death of reading "the drivers will be ready when they are ready" crap.

Most new releases in the time I was with AMD had no crossfire support and some games still don't .

They seem to of cocked up AGAIN by alienating those of us who game on 4k TV's by not making the HDMI port version 2, not that I am surprised.

Very happy with my Titan X and plan to add another soon.

Caporegime
No because spending £600 on a gpu that will likely be eclipsed in the 1st half of 2016 is not for me.

I will be sticking with what i have till the die shrink and HBM2

Soldato
Nope, nothing they've shown makes me think I'd be better off with a FuryX and a limited range freesync screen over a 980ti with fully working gsync so my preorder is staying put

Along with increasingly reading of crossfire problems and I always want the option to sli

Last edited:
Soldato
I will do once the price dropsas I'm stuck on Gtx 670 2Gb on a 1440p screen. I give Nvidia a hard time most of the time but I must admit it's been good card and played everything I've thrown at it but it doesn't overclock which is disappointing.

The other thing the FuryX has going for it is it's self contained watercooled system. My gtx670 is cuatom water cooled and while it looks great the practical realities of it is its a pain to change out hardware.

Associate
Would never go back to amd there drivers were terrible especially for crossfire support i would rather pay a few hundred more and not have the hassle that comes with amds support had enough after over 10yrs. Gonna trade my 980 for a 980ti..

Associate
Was all set on ordering a couple of MSI 980 ti's but after watching the AMD presentation
yesterday am gonna at least wait for some benchmarks for the Fury.
In 15 years of PC gaming never owned an AMD card,am not a fan boy of Nvidia just seemed to be the best at the time of each time ive bought a card, but if people here say it's worth switching for 4K im all in, just want best value for my money :)

Associate
Nope for the simple fact AMD is still on HDMI 1.4 when I have a HDMI 2.0 4k TV.

I dont care about a stinking adapter that has no release date whatsoever. This is 2015 stuff like this should come on the card as default. If Nvidia can get it right then why can't AMD?

Back
Top Bottom