• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If Fury X turns out to faster than 980 ti...will you switch?

Soldato
nah just switched from 980 to 980 ti which yet to arrive + don't have place for rad and not keen gpus with aio cooling , might as well do proper water cooling then .

Man of Honour
That's on the old DDR5 structure though...this is a total new tech...:)

Never under estimate old tech !!!

Photography is a good example where old tech is better for quality than new tech.

If you look at a photo taken on an old 100+ year old plate camera it will knock spots off modern cameras, they are so good pros still use them.

Caporegime
Never under estimate old tech !!!

Photography is a good example where old tech is better for quality than new tech.

If you look at a photo taken on an old 100+ year old plate camera it will knock spots off modern cameras, they are so good pros still use them.

Good point, quite often the first company to go to market with a new technology will have teething troubles. Hence possibly NVIDIA are waiting until later when hbm has matured a bit. Still though I'm looking forward to seeing how fury performance pans out.

Soldato
The last time I had a truly great experience with a radeon card was back when I had a 4870. Since then I've had a 4870x2, 5870, 7970, 7990, 290, 290X and I can honestly say I spent more time tweaking than playing games with those cards and always ended up going back to Nvidia.

This doesn't mean to say I won't at least give Fury a try at some point :p but my experience always seems to have been more solid with Nvidia, hence me buying into Gsync.

To answer your question, no, it's highly doubtful.

Permabanned
Not enough memory... 4GB isn't enough for newer games in 1440p, let alone 4k!

If it shocked everyone and came out as 150% the speed of Titan X in most things, then I'd be tempted... but not otherwise.

- ATi (AMD) Crossfire support is terrible and slow
- no GSync

Associate
Once the Fury X reviews are out I will be deciding between one and the 980ti, due to my monitor being 24" @ 2160p I don't see the need for any AA, so either card should be good enough untill next generation.

Permabanned
Once we have the results I'll make a final decision on which to get but if I already had the ti no I wouldn't bother switching unless there was a double figure performance difference.

Soldato
Well essentially if it is true that 6gb fits into 4gb of HBM then I will purchase after seeing reviewers confirm it. If not then I will not purchase as I feel going 980Tix3 will be nicer for certain games at 4k. Of course if this whole debacle meakes TitanX cards £700 then I'm getting 2 of those instead. Basically anything that happens other than a total miracle is pushing me to nvidia and that beautiful hairworks and smoke effects.

Soldato
Nope, been burned too many times by AMD/ATI drivers and I just don't have the time to mess around with them.

Rollback 10 years and I'd probably have switched for the performance and worn the scars from battling drivers but a few FPS isn't worth hours of frustration to me anymore.

Soldato
Depends on performance price, If we get typical rip off UK prices then I might stick with my TX but if the performance is really a lot better than the TX then it will be a no brainer.

Associate
Getting my 3rd GTX 980Ti in a couple of hours. No I am not switching.... loosing physX in some of my favorite games ? I don't think I am ready for that sacrifice yet.

The possibility to edit and modify SLi profiles in Nvidia Inspector is awesome. I haven't seen AMD tools with the same option.

4GB HBM is just a bit too much of a gamble to me. Had it been possible with HBM 1 to make 6/8GB versions I would have considered waiting for Fury (X).

After watching the online twitch streaming I was determined to keep on going the green road, so I ordered the 3rd card.

For my 2nd PC however. When finances allow it later on the year I may get an AMD Fury card in that rig.

Associate
It'd have to be a consistent 20% faster for me to switch, OC to OC.

I think that's unlikely. I think the cards will end up trading blows anyway - 5% going in favor of either camp depending on the game.

Associate
True, but I cant see hbm being that much difference in my case and res. Still on 1920x1200 here. Most likely moving to 2560x1440, which 6gb of gddr5 should cope with ok. As for 4k I think its way too early to adopt this res. You need multi gpu straight off the bat to deal with it. And with current cards such as the TX, that's the best part of two grand. Fury x may/may not change this. But for me personally, 4k is a long long way of.

not if you buy the fury x2 ...4k is coming this summer

Back
Top Bottom