• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If next year's consoles do 4k/60..

Soldato
Some console games are nuts

There is nothing on PC that I’ve seen come close to the animations and facial graphics from Uncharted 4 on PS4.

Horizon Zero Dawn is incredible and looks better (far better) than AC Odyssey that I’m playing now looks on PC imo

Man of Honour
I'm not into gaming as much as I used to be. But my son is addicted. He plays on both the PC and XBox. He does still prefer the PC but all his mates are on the XBox so I can see him gravitating there over time.

His mate tried to buy a PC for games but sent it back. His dad didn't know what he needed to buy and presumably bought something unable to play them well. A console takes that issue out of the equation for most people.

I am building him his own PC and expect it will probably be his one and only gaming PC. I will be upgrading mine in a few months. This one has lasted about five years apart from GPU upgrades. So I really do expect my next to be the last I buy for games. It will still be good enough for, non games, for ten to fifteen years I expect. I will be retired after that so who knows then.

Back when I had an Amiga I clung on to it and refused to believe that PC's were taking over the gaming market. This is probably the same as market share moves to the consoles.

Soldato
RDNA has 25% ipc boost

So 1tflop from gcn is 0.75tflop on RDNA

You can't say Ipc with a graphics pipeline, it doesn't make sense. Throughput is the term, RDNA overall does have an averaged boost, but it can be much bigger in a number of cases where GCN fell quite far behind. Such as Gta V etc.

Overall the way RDNA is setup makes it much easier to fully utilise the shaders along with having a stronger pipeline overall.

Soldato
Key for me in the next gen titles is 60fps. If that's 1440p checkerboarded to 4k then that's good enough for me. On a 55" LG OLED the image looks stunning already on PS4PRO. I'm sure some games will be native 4k, but it needs to be 60fps first and foremost.

The way pc hardware is disgustingly overpriced now, myself and thousands will be forgetting that pc upgrade for a few years and instead get a console. Graphics are very close now, gaming on OLED is incredible.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not into gaming as much as I used to be. But my son is addicted. He plays on both the PC and XBox. He does still prefer the PC but all his mates are on the XBox so I can see him gravitating there over time.

His mate tried to buy a PC for games but sent it back. His dad didn't know what he needed to buy and presumably bought something unable to play them well. A console takes that issue out of the equation for most people.

I am building him his own PC and expect it will probably be his one and only gaming PC. I will be upgrading mine in a few months. This one has lasted about five years apart from GPU upgrades. So I really do expect my next to be the last I buy for games. It will still be good enough for, non games, for ten to fifteen years I expect. I will be retired after that so who knows then.

Back when I had an Amiga I clung on to it and refused to believe that PC's were taking over the gaming market. This is probably the same as market share moves to the consoles.
MS seem committed to expanding the Xbox platform on PC. Hopefully that will then be best of both worlds. Just need a playstation and switch then ;)

Associate
Key for me in the next gen titles is 60fps. If that's 1440p checkerboarded to 4k then that's good enough for me. On a 55" LG OLED the image looks stunning already on PS4PRO. I'm sure some games will be native 4k, but it needs to be 60fps first and foremost.

Do you think 5700xt is a good choice for 2020+

Soldato
The downside to everyone poo-pooing consoles and continuing to purchase ridiculously overpriced gpus is that a mid range gpu for 600 quid becomes the new norm.

We need a shakeup so people should really hope that some of these "unbelievable" performance claims are true because it might help fix this broken market.

And for the record Ive had a gtx 1080 for years and I felt it was too expensive at the time.

For me its this

I prefer playing games on PC for various reasons. Such as customisation of visual fidelity vs performance, mod support, free online, on average cheaper price for games, cheat engine support, no vendor lock in.

On PC backward compatibility is a given.

I use my PC for other things aside from gaming so there is added value from that as well.

Also the net cost of a midrange gpu is typically not £600 as you often sell older hardware to offset, my net cost for a 1080ti wasnt even close to £600 never mind mid range.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/fs-palit-gtx-1070-gamerock-premium.18832518/

So I paid £350 net for my 1080ti.

I paid £350 for my base ps4, that required me to spend extra on propriety cables as well afterwards, and also had to buy an upgraded hdd. I then later spent money on a ps4 pro for similar price, and sold my base ps4 to offset it so net cost to upgrade to ps4 pro was about £100 and something pounds. However would I be able to sell my ps4 pro to get a ps5 would it have 100% backwards compatibility with all ps4 games (and ps2/3 rereleases that play on ps4), if no then selling wouldnt be an option and the net cost is the full price of the console. Plus cables become a nightmare keeping all consoles hooked up at once. Right now I have ps3/xbox360/ps4pro all hooked up.

Last edited:
Associate
Navi Sharpening tech will be there to make 1440p look better while upscaled to 4k @60fps on the PS5.

There's no point in Navi Sharpening if PS5 hits 4k 60fps without breaking a sweat

4k on PS5 = 1080p on PS3

Soldato

I think you should prepare to be disappointed. If developers were going to take the opportunity of the new hardware in a new console generation to start targeting 60fps, they would have done it before now. It's much more likely the additional performance is going to be put to use pushing the fidelity of games over just increasing framerate, as with every previous generation.

Caporegime
I think you should prepare to be disappointed. If developers were going to take the opportunity of the new hardware in a new console generation to start targeting 60fps, they would have done it before now. It's much more likely the additional performance is going to be put to use pushing the fidelity of games over just increasing framerate, as with every previous generation.

In terms of AAA games on Xbox One X, a few are 4K 60fps, and many are close-to-4K 60fps. And many are locked 30fps as well. It just depends on the game.

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-one-x-enhanced-60-fps-list

Caporegime
The ps4 and Xbox one were never sold at a loss so that’s not true

to start with they do then they refine the process. thats why consoles often run for years. might start off costing £500 a piece after 3 or 4 years it may only be £150. thats why games are 50 quid a pop.

Back
Top Bottom