If you could recommend only one PC game in history which would it be?

Soldato
impossible question.

Obviously modern narratives and immersion are not equivalent to the history of gaming but the game I most admire was\is asteroids.

Soldato
Deus Ex...all day, every day.
I missed this the first time around (wasn't gaming at the time) and picked it up from GOG a few months back although have yet to play it. Will it still hold up do you think or is it nostalgia that keeps it rated so highly. I don't care about dated graphics either - if it's a good game, it's a good game regardless for me...

Soldato
I missed this the first time around (wasn't gaming at the time) and picked it up from GOG a few months back although have yet to play it. Will it still hold up do you think or is it nostalgia that keeps it rated so highly. I don't care about dated graphics either - if it's a good game, it's a good game regardless for me...
Well, the graphics are really, horribly dated, and also some other aspects of the gameplay can feel a bit off to someone used to modern games (movement is a bit clunky, there're no systems for cover, the weapons don't give a great feel to the player, etc.) BUT... it has the best story, some great level design, interesting characters... I remember when I first played it, it was like nothing else. Me and mate playing it at the same time just kept saying to each other "it's so like playing a book". Nothing has quite recaptured that feeling for me, and the Deus Ex sequels have disappointed me massively through failing to live up to the sweep and depth of the original. I'd recommend anyone to give it a go with the caveat that you'll find several aspects quite dated - the graphics most of all (they look horrible to the modern eye), but also a few other issues.

Caporegime

In your shoes, I would try the original game first, and if that doesn't quite do it then take a look at the recently released GMDX mod v.9.0 (Give Me Deux Ex).

Soldato

It's still a good game, it just wont have the polish and shine of modern AAA titles.

It's so comprehensively developed, it doesn't matter what you do, how you interact with the other characters or even NPC's, there is a consequence of a dialogue or action written in for pretty much everything which hasn't been matched to this day.

Soldato
So many to pick from but because the thread is for only one game I would have to say Alpha Centauri and just for the record eve online would be my second choice

Back
Top Bottom