If you don't have Facebook you don't exist... virtually

Caporegime
This is the problem with a lot of people who click on stuff without reading.
At the weekend I was on a site when I signed up (it may have been Evans Cycles) and it asked if I wanted to sign through Facebook and it would take my Contacts from it.
I reckon most people would skip reading it and just press OK.

Indeed most people click through everything blindly, the only difference is normal people go "oh wow cool it knows I like x I was on there the other day" paranoid nutters go "omg they must be spying on me how do they know I like x"

Soldato
I don't use it daily any more I'm just still on there as it saves so much hassle when people try to set events up etc.

Seems the days of getting a txt or a phone call have gone and you need to attend, maybe or decline a event these days.

Caporegime
I absolutely love it when a forum/app/shop/website lets me sign in with facebook as it saves me time and having to add yet another password to the list.

I know it shares the data (what little i have). Surely targeted advertising is better than random crap?

Soldato
I absolutely love it when a forum/app/shop/website lets me sign in with facebook as it saves me time and having to add yet another password to the list.

I know it shares the data (what little i have). Surely targeted advertising is better than random crap?

If your Facebook account is then compromised, surely it becomes a potentially bigger problem?

Associate
This isn't tinfoil hat territory. The entire purpose of Facebook is data gathering and processing on a personal level. That's what the business is.

Pointing out that Facebook gathers data isn't tinfoil hat territory, but your reaction to it as though it is a danger to your life is.

Soldato
So who here doesn't have their virtual identity stamped on FB?

I had facebook but cancelled my account circa 3 years ago, and haven't been tempted to get it back since.

It doesn't come down to personal privacy for me. I honestly couldn't care less about that, I'd be quite chuffed if I knew someone, somewhere, was looking me up for whatever reason (unless they mean harm). The reason I don't have a facebook is because I really dislike the people who use facebook and feel the need to update their lives on there to an obsequious degree. I have to put up with people going on about their lives in the real world, I don't want that replicated when I log on.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm on LinkedIN.

So I do exist online.

THANK YOU!

Also Google+ as I need it for a YouTube account.

I only use Facebook to chat to people. I have under 50 people listed as friends. Many people family members over seas, and only people I talk to a lot, but can't reach often.

It's more convenient that spamming my email with conversations.

Associate
For business it is a must, the amount of people on FB who ask "anyone know a good...." instead of doing a search. I also read customers prefer using businesses that have a social media presence as it gives them a direct focal point to complain to or share experiences if things go wrong.

I did it myself on Sunday... I tried to call Virgin Holidays on an 0844 number, I was on hold for 5 minutes and gave up. I made a comment about premium rate numbers and being held in a queue on their facebook page and within an hour I had some representative offering to call me direct.

Soldato
I don't have FB anymore because I don't like what it has now become, I got rid of it last year at xmas and not been on since. It seems it is now nothing more than a means to an end for people to seek/get validation. It's become a dirty high/quick fix to get an ego boost to temporarily feel good about yourself, because oh you post some slutty photo of you in a mirror pouting and 10 guys like it or you post a generic self help philosophical quote you are never going to fully comprehend and understand and got some likes.

I remember when I first got rid of Facebook I felt like this worry I was missing out somehow it's weird to explain. I was an avid user of Facebook talking to people on it etc but it showed me the addictive potential of Facebook too and why it works and people spend so much time on it seeking stimulation in some form. The way I see it anyway is that I will always speak to real friends on Skype so I don't need it. I will get it back some day because there are a lot of people from uni I used to speak too on it but I will use it a lot less and block any stupid ****.

It's a great tool but yet again human beings ruin it. I think I finally had my fill when I just kept seeing retarded status updates LIVE LAUGH LOVE <3!

Then next week OH WHY ARE MEN SUCH ********.

Seriously worry about future of this species....

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't have FB anymore because I don't like what it has now become, I got rid of it last year at xmas and not been on since. It seems it is now nothing more than a means to an end for people to seek/get validation. It's become a dirty high/quick fix to get an ego boost to temporarily feel good about yourself, because oh you post some slutty photo of you in a mirror pouting and 10 guys like it or you post a generic self help philosophical quote you are never going to fully comprehend and understand and got some likes.

This for me is the most ridiculous attitude.

Facebook is a tool, if that's what you're getting on it then it just means you have crap friends I'm afraid!

Back
Top Bottom