If you don't have Facebook you don't exist... virtually

Associate
Erm, while I do have a Facebook account and did accept my new girlfriend's friend request when she found me on it yesterday, I don't use it per se. I have like 5 friends added (dozens of friend requests though).

I actually didn't care about this whole thing until a couple of weeks ago when I wondered what people I used to go to school/college with are doing. It's a shame that the only way to stay in contact with people who you lose touch with is via Facebook. I would literally accept all of my friend requests right now if I didn't have it in my mind that doing such a thing would come across as weird ("Oh, that guy I went to school with 8 years ago has accepted my friend request").

I'm probably over-analysing this though. :p

Soldato
I don't have a Facebook, not in some sort of protest way or anything, I used to have one but never saw the use in it.

I regularly see pretty much all the people I actually want to see, or if not I'll make the effort to, I found Facebook was full of the same 3-4 people (who I don't really know/care about) on everyone's friends list who would update every 3 minutes to tell you they had just bought a new pair of shoes or were having a fish fingers for their tea... who cares?

I can imagine if you lived away from family and friends it would be useful but at the moment I don't so I don't see the point.

Man of Honour
It also suggest RL friends of yours yet you haven't added any...

That ones easy, some people give fb acess to there saved email addresses, so it can sugesst people that have yoour email stored. As well as if you sign up and put things like school in there, itll sugestb people who attended that school.

I don't have Facebook and I don't find I need it, after all who wants to waste time reading posts from 'friends' bragging about their lives?

I dont, fb is far more than just that.

Soldato
I closed my facebook account about 1.5 years ago. Feels great but there has been a social downside to it. People do start forgetting about you, even if you keep in touch via phone/sms. I mainly used it for DJing/gigs, and event invites to gigs have all but subsided.

Still, would rather not be on there at all :D

Soldato
This for me is the most ridiculous attitude.

Facebook is a tool, if that's what you're getting on it then it just means you have crap friends I'm afraid!

Depends on your generation of friends good sir, if you are older I'm sure its great.

But I've got bunches of people from school etc I'm early 20's.

Associate
Depends on your generation of friends good sir, if you are older I'm sure its great.

But I've got bunches of people from school etc I'm early 20's.

It doesn't depend on generation, it depends on who you choose to be friends with and who you choose to receive updates from. I'm early (wait... mid :() 20s as well, and if someone is that annoying then I delete them or hide them.

It's almost as if they have added features to allow you to tailor your experience.

Caporegime
A government surveillance tool. Or as Julian Assange said, "the most appalling spying machine ever invented".

all it tells the government about me is i greatly enjoy ice cream and perversity :/

i keep my explosives/metalworking and murderous intentions off of facebook.

Man of Honour
Pointing out that Facebook gathers data isn't tinfoil hat territory, but your reaction to it as though it is a danger to your life is.

It would be, if that was my reaction. Since it isn't and you're just making wildly implausible stuff up in order to prop up your preconceived ideas, it's you who's into tinfoil hat territory.

The ongoing campaign against the entire idea of privacy, of which Facebook is a leading campaigner, is only a danger to your life if someone is trying to find you in order to kill you. That's very far from common and I haven't even mentioned it. You're just making things up because you don't have any counter-argument.

Last edited:
Soldato
Facebook is awesome, just set it so none of your friends rubbish appears on your news feed, like a ton of pages for hot models, and use it as a way to communicate with people via inbox. It's like MSN with an awesome feed of pictures. It is possible to use it and not be a moron, just don't fall into that trap where you sit in a restaurant taking a picture of your food to put on your 'wall' etc.

God I hate those people so so so much.

Last edited:
Associate
It would be, if that was my reaction. Since it isn't and you're just making wildly implausible stuff up in order to prop up your preconceived ideas, it's you who's into tinfoil hat territory.

The ongoing campaign against the entire idea of privacy, of which Facebook is a leading campaigner, is only a danger to your life if someone is trying to find you in order to kill you. That's very far from common and I haven't even mentioned it. You're just making things up because you don't have any counter-argument.

It is called exaggeration for effect. Facebook having this information about you does not cost you anything as you imply. The idea that any of that information is being used against you is tinfoil hat territory.

Hopefully that clears things up for you.

Associate
i think there's a definite age difference for facebook users. i'm over 50 now and completely out of touch with what the kids are down with. facebook helps me maintain my 'cred'

oh, and it helps me get back in touch with school friends i last saw over 30 years ago

Associate
Basically facebook is fine. It serves a purpose, in fact it can serve many purposes. I dont really use it much but via notifications i can tell if events are happening etc. Whats the problem?

The only ones i see facebook being detrimental to are those who post random rubbish on there be it about friends work or whatever that can get them in trouble. But most of those probably have it coming anyway.

So long live facebook, although it will die out as the younger generations will want to move away from using something the parents use.

Associate
It's called a false statement. You're making things up from nothing in order to pretend that your preconceived position has some merit - classic tinfoil hattery on your part.

Nice use of [..] to ignore the bit where I clarified what I meant. It's easier to pretend that I'm being ridiculous rather than argue against my actual point, I suppose.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
I am incredibly anti social media at the moment - and for someone who works in marketing, that isn't agood thing :/

I've stopped posting on FB as I realised that people couldn't really give a **** if I was at the Drs/dentist etc.

I use FB to keep in contact with friends and family overseas.. share photos, create events and chat to people.

My frustration with SM is that people are like 'we should be on Twitter/LinkedIn' and I always have to ask them the question 'why?'

BB x

Soldato
Ive just deleted my account aswell, well it takes 14 days for it to go. I just never needed it, I just joined cause other people were on it from my last job. But I seen them nearly everyday so it didn't make sense:p
Now im at a different job haven't seen them for 7 months and I don't post to them as ive moved on. I haven't got friends or family that live 100's of miles away, and if I did I rather pickup the phone.

Man of Honour
Facebook is excellent. It's very easy to restrict what pops up on your newsfeed from your friends, so if someone updates every few days, you can stop it showing up, except for the most important updates. I can't see why anyone would have a problem with it.

Back
Top Bottom