If you work from home what do you do?

Associate
I design data processing systems for a bank. When system A needs data from system B, I design the plumbing that goes between them.

For the last year we've been working on decommissioning our old customer data management system - working out how to migrate all the consumers of data the old system to the new one without having to rebuild them all from scratch. So, rooting round trying to dig up old design and mapping documents so I can see what data some old (but vital) bit of software needs and what it does with it, so I can work out how to feed it the same data from our new system. Then I write down what needs to be done with sufficient detail so the build team (who do all the actual coding) can do it. It's been "fun".

Associate
I do fostering admin things. So, child protection checks, submitting DBSs, chasing GPs to do /return medicals, generally keeping track of where 70 odd assessments are and making sure everything is returned.

Since we no longer have any staff, I also do performance statistics, weekly training reports, post panel ratifications, updating care type approvals, and whatever random figures management need for FOI requests. For some reason I'm also in charge of the Dolly Parton library, not sure how that came about. Oh, and all mailings to carers, and coordinating with an agency who do some of our assessments.

Basically the same as I'd be doing in an office, just far more than if 60% of our staff hadn't left.

Associate
In a nutshell, involved at a technical level in setting up and making sure diagnostic facilities within NHS and private hospitals keep on working. MRI/CT/Xray/PETCT/Ultrasound/Audiology etc.. and all the workflow around this keeps ticking until it reaches your GP.

Soldato
Housing manager for an RSL.

* Manage ASB & Rent
* Daily have difficult conversations ranging from people facing poverty and how to get their next meal/meter top up
* Legal action, go to court... Doesn't happen much atm due to covid
* Tenancy signings
* Tenancy management
* Conflict management/restorative practise
* Zoom
* Zoom
* Zoom
* Social Zoom

Before my job was in the community... i cant see how that can go back to that way of working

Soldato
Product Manager at a software start-up.

Everyone I work with is remote - our PM team, stakeholders, executive management, developers, UX designers, scrum masters and of course our customers.

Soldato
I work on a helpdesk and I can do exactly the same job in the office or at home.

Phone system is all web based and also deals with the e mails we get as well.

To be honest I most prob get more done from home than I did at the office as I dont have people coming over all the time and asking me questions.

I have been working from home now since Feb 2020 and not been back to the office since. We have a work VPN which is really only used for 2 systems and both are for logging calls down in as they do not work without it due to the data etc all being stored inside the companies network.

I still speak to everyone I work with (Manager\Supervisor and other people in my department) on a regular basis and if any training is needed or meets its done via Teams.

Soldato
Architect/design lead, it has a few small downsides such as sitting down with my team over print outs and attacking them with pens but tbh most of the cons are mitigated with the collaboration tools we use.

I currently have 3 major school projects on site so there's lots of design team meeting at the moment and WFH really works because I can still work on Revit whilst in a teams meeting.

The bigger issue for us at the moment is supply chain issues caused by Brexit, I know people won't accept that but that's what the manufacturers and contractors are telling us. One one project we've had to redesign almost every junction detail because every material is on at least a 12 month lead in and has had to be changed. Even the ground workers are struggling to get cement.

Man of Honour
I work in Project Management and IT; still working from home; we've been "ordered" back to the office 2 days a week but the rest of my team are based elsewhere so it makes no sense for me to go into the office and sit on my own.
I have started travelling with work again though; currently doing some office fit outs and refurb; can't really do that remotely; need to be on the ground to see the reality of what's been done / needing done, etc.

Soldato
In 2 years my role has gone from testing smart TVs (software/apps/certification) to testing our own apps, and now writing software for those apps.

So yes I get to watch TV at work and even did back in the office :D I have a small TV on the wall above my monitor, another over my shoulder and my main TV opposite the sofa behind me. Testing involves trying features out for compatibility on all 3, making sure streaming content works continuously, etc.

In reality I spend about 50% of my time writing code or reviewing and testing others' code. Then 25% in meetings and planning work with others. The remaining 25% is answering questions from other colleagues, assisting with technical issues, investigating issues from individual TV brands, looking after shared resources/documentation etc.

I should point out this is 100% of the time I'm managing to focus on work; I lose a fair bit of time to distraction and disorganisation, between the kettle, doorbell, home life bleeding into work...

Back
Top Bottom