IIyama 40" 4k VA monitor

Associate
So mine just made a very loud bang and turned off. The room smells faintly of burning. It didn't trip the surge protected multiway or the breaker box (which gets tripped by tiny little halogen lightbulbs going).

I guess that's a lesson learned for me. When you see a 4k TV for £450 I guess this is the risk you take. Back to the 27".

Wouldn't let it put you off completely - the failure rate is still probably low - just make sure you can afford to write it off.

Associate
Afford to write it off?? Wont you be sending it back for replacement?
Iiyama have very good support (usually on site swap) but if you got it from OCUK just request an RMA.
Sorry to hear about it btw!

I will try and contact Iiyama tomorrow.

Last edited:
Associate
Eyeballing it, it looks like the Dell would be a match if you put it in portrait mode. Is it?

Measuring it, it looks like it would be. I don't really have the desk space to do that with - but it is tempting, as I have a pair of the HP 24" screens - so I could put one each side!

Associate
So mine just made a very loud bang and turned off. The room smells faintly of burning. It didn't trip the surge protected multiway or the breaker box (which gets tripped by tiny little halogen lightbulbs going).

I guess that's a lesson learned for me. When you see a 4k TV for £450 I guess this is the risk you take. Back to the 27".

Wouldn't let it put you off completely - the failure rate is still probably low - just make sure you can afford to write it off.

is the power supply built into the monitor or is a brick type. Could be the transformer.

Associate
is the power supply built into the monitor or is a brick type. Could be the transformer.

It's built into the monitor. Iiyama customer services couldn't find it so asked me to call the large screen guys. They eventually found it on a new product list and sent me back to customer services. They still can't find it so asked me to email them :)

Associate
It's built into the monitor. Iiyama customer services couldn't find it so asked me to call the large screen guys. They eventually found it on a new product list and sent me back to customer services. They still can't find it so asked me to email them :)

surely you can just rma for a replacement from overclockers?

Associate
surely you can just rma for a replacement from overclockers?

I could but basically I'm impatient. From their returns page:

For the fastest turnaround, we recommend using a manufacturer's direct warranty service. Please check the table below to see which manufacturers offer this service.

They have called back and have found the model. They will contact me at some point and a man in a van will turn up with a new one and take the old one away hopefully sometime this week if they have stock. If it doesn't work out I'm still in the 30 day window...

Anyway, enough on this topic I think - people come to this thread to read about the monitor in general - not hear about one broken one so mods feel free to delete my original rant and the replies!

Associate
A broken one is relevant. I've not seen anything about poor QA though so far, which is a big improvement over Philips with their fluff/hair/dust behind the screen issues, though there are a lot more of the Philips out there of course.

Associate
A broken one is relevant.

Agreed. The only other report of one of the 40" 4k Iiyama's going kaput is this Dutch review that says his backlight broke while he was reviewing/using it - http://tweakers.net/productreview/120399/iiyama-prolite-x4071uhsu-b1-zwart.html. Other than that and the one report now on this forum, it seems to be a solid unit.

I wimped out from buying it though (and indeed the Phillips alternative) and ordered a 40" Samsung 4k TV instead which I've read good things about. For my uses it should be more than fine, and if not I know I can just return it anyway :)

Associate
Very tempeted to get one, if not two, of these monitors.

Question: if it wasnt right for me and I wanted to return it "unwanted" within 14 days, could OCUK help with a courier?

Associate
Very tempeted to get one, if not two, of these monitors.

I have three of them due for delivery tomorrow, so I'll let you know how they do in multihead. As they're replacing three Dell 3008WFPs, I'm fairly accustomed to having lots of screen real estate.

Not sure whether my 5m DisplayPort cables are going to hold up to 4K though. If anyone has any suggestions for five metre cables that will definitely push 3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz in full chroma, I'd be interested to know.

Associate
I have three of them due for delivery tomorrow, so I'll let you know how they do in multihead. As they're replacing three Dell 3008WFPs, I'm fairly accustomed to having lots of screen real estate.

Not sure whether my 5m DisplayPort cables are going to hold up to 4K though. If anyone has any suggestions for five metre cables that will definitely push 3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz in full chroma, I'd be interested to know.

I can imagine sit in the front of them and feel like a centre command in Star Trek :D

Associate

Close the thread.

Associate

Hi andrewprice This should do the job. Have one myself no problems.

http://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapt...layport-c113/5m-cromo-displayport-cable-p6849

Supports resolutions up to Ultra HD 4K 3840x2160 60Hz, including stereoscopic 3D
Supports optional 8 channel audio with sampling rates up to 24bit 192kHz
DisplayPort 1.2
Supports 128bit AES DisplayPort Content Protection and 56bit High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection
24K gold plated connector pins
Bandwidth:17.28Gbps total in High Bit Rate 2 (HBR2) mode
8B/10B data transmission
Supports colour depths of 6, 8, 10, 12 and 16 bits per component

Back
Top Bottom