Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1 - Flat 34" 1440 144HZ 1MS IPS Freesync for <£400

Associate
I've noticed I have a really faint, very high pitched noise coming from it.

Problem is, once you've noticed it, you become paranoid.

Not sure I could even RMA as I'm not sure a lot of people would be able to even hear it.

Associate
I've requested an RMA. There's just too many slight issues with this monitor.

I could deal with the screen 'splitting in half' sometimes. I could also deal with the fairly strong orange glow at the bottom left. But this high pitched buzzing/whine...on top of the other issues...is just too much.

But when all of the above is happening, I worry that it'll get worse or something else will happen.

£400 may not be a lot compared to equivalently specced monitors, but this still shouldn't be happening.

Frustrating for sure...

Caporegime
OP
Can't say I have noticed any high pitch noise either, don't know if it makes any difference but remember reading before about monitor speakers and this being a problem, so my monitor speakers have always been turned off and disabled in the sound device settings.

My screen still sometimes splits on the right side but it is very rare and everything else is as it should be so I'm happy enough especially for the price, could pay twice the money for what will be more or less the same screen on the whole and still encounter problems, particularly with bleed and dead pixels.

We just need cost affordable OLED monitors to arrive already, LCD on the whole is just embarrassingly bad when compared with it.

Associate
I did try playing around the speakers, brightness, everything I could really. Just seemed to be a noisy power supply in the monitor is my guess.

I hope I can get a replacement because going back to my 16:9. 60fps monitor is so bad :p It feels like a 4:3 30fps monitor now....

EDIT: Can't get a replacement. :(

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry to hear (!) that. I can't hear anything on mine, I think you may have been unlucky with that one.
Mind you my ears are quite old now....

Associate
I’ve had the monitor for almost 2 weeks now.

Happy with it so far.

I had the split screen issue a few times when coming out of standby, but it seems to have stopped completely after cancelling my dual monitor setup.

it also very occasionally does not come on from a stand by. Need to press off and then on back again. Doesn’t really bother me.

overall happy with it.

Associate
btw...can someone explain to me the differences in the USB ports on the panel?

There's 2 regular USB ports, one blue and yellow? Are these USB3? Can I plug in say my mouse's dongle in one of them? And why is one in YELLOW?

Also, what's with the BIGGER square USB port? What purpose can that one be used for?

Thanks

Caporegime
btw...can someone explain to me the differences in the USB ports on the panel?

There's 2 regular USB ports, one blue and yellow? Are these USB3? Can I plug in say my mouse's dongle in one of them? And why is one in YELLOW?

Also, what's with the BIGGER square USB port? What purpose can that one be used for?

Thanks

Blue is USB3. Not sure about the yellow though!

Associate
Blue is USB3. Not sure about the yellow though!

Yellow (or Red) USB Ports
These are called “sleep-and-charge” ports, meaning that they continue to supply power even when the computer is sleeping. This makes it convenient to charge a phone or tablet from your laptop battery

Associate
Yellow (or Red) USB Ports
These are called “sleep-and-charge” ports, meaning that they continue to supply power even when the computer is sleeping. This makes it convenient to charge a phone or tablet from your laptop battery

thanks
So yellow one is for changing then.
What about the square one? It’s a USB type B. What’s the purpose of that port?

Associate
A quick google takes you to the users manual. I suspect that a squareish one is just another type of USB connector, as the monitor can be used as a hub.
Z8EAOI6.jpg

Soldato
So I got my replacement today. So fare no dead pixels and I think the firmware is different as well as with +2 overdrive overshoot is very little compared to my first sample where +2 overdrive would give major overshoot.

I'll update as I get more time with the unit but so far so good. I'm smiling like a spoiled brat right now.

Associate
oh..I see.
So I need to connect the USB B port on the monitor to one of the USB ports on my motherboard.
Does it make any difference if I connect it to a USB 2 or 3?

Correct. Looks like it supports USB3, so I would aim for one of those, but it will still function on USB2. For a mouse/keyboard it would make no practical difference, but if you were using any kind of USB3 storage then USB2 would obviously be slower.

Caporegime
OP
So I got my replacement today. So fare no dead pixels and I think the firmware is different as well as with +2 overdrive overshoot is very little compared to my first sample where +2 overdrive would give major overshoot.

I'll update as I get more time with the unit but so far so good. I'm smiling like a spoiled brat right now.
Can you find out what firmware version you are on?

As pretty sure mine looks better with +2 and no overshooting too.

Back
Top Bottom