Images of items I have purchased (except trainers [no feet pics])

Soldato
WTF is wrong with some people? Craig went out of his way to help those less fortunate than himself at his own expense and people are saying it's wrong and self indulgent? Seriously? What have you ****s done to help charity lately?

Honestly some people need to get a life. Grow the **** up and realise the world isn't all sunshine and unicorns.

Hahaha. Buying some extra tins when doing your weekly shop is hardly going out of his way.

Seems it's you in need of a reality check.

Caporegime
Hahaha. Buying some extra tins when doing your weekly shop is hardly going out of his way.

So what's your contribution then? Show us what you've done to help and then we can progress this conversation, because the vibe I'm getting right now sounds a hell of a lot like glass shattering.

Soldato
So what's your contribution then? Show us what you've done to help and then we can progress this conversation, because the vibe I'm getting right now sounds a hell of a lot like glass shattering.

I don't hold any narcissistic traits, so I'm not the sort of person who would film a video buying a homeless person a starbucks and then plaster it all over the internet like I'm Patron Saint of England.

Associate

Is it still "Your weekly shop" if you don't buy anything for yourself?

Craig said:
Only intended to buy a few tins of stuff. Maybe £10 of stuff at most. But I kept finding stuff on special offer and chucking it into the trolly. Didn't even buy anything for myself.

Some strange opinions in here.

Soldato
Some people in here, the negative ones towards giving food, don't seem to have a clue how these things are run on a very local volunteers level.

Also the food isn't just given to those struggling with incomes that still don't cover food bills, at certain places I have seen they will use some of the food donated to prepare themselves and serve to homeless people etc. Usually walk in days and the like for lunches.
The people don't want money handling of any kind, it really complicates things, then you have to go through all the paper work of keeping accounts, setting up and getting charity status etc. This is a way good people who take there time out can help those immediatly in front of them.

Caporegime
Sorry to be cynical about it but.....donating canned food to a foodbank is kinda the worst thing to donate....

Someone has to pay to ship all that to different warehouses (lots of money)
Someone has to sort the cans from expired and indate (more money)
High sodium etc
Most the cans people donate are the stuff you wouldn't eat yourself, why do you think the poor would eat it?

The selection you have is pretty good though so +1, not much of an issue but your quality of contribution is probably way above what most others give.

Best way is to donate money as they can buy on a wholesale level and work with farmers and get much more food that you could buy for that money yourself.

Happy christmas! :rolleyes:

Sort expired canned food?

When did these people donate 1800?

Cans cost no mre to ship than anything else they stack easily and are very easily transported in cages

Soldato
Sort expired canned food?

When did these people donate 1800?

Cans cost no mre to ship than anything else they stack easily and are very easily transported in cages

Unfortunately these things do have to be checked, one person "kindly" donated a selection of tinned produce after their mum died and they were clearing out the house. Lots of tins expired in the early 90's, one of them even had a price sticker from pre-decimalisation. A collection point in our building is visited often by older people who will bring along whatever they have in their cupboards that they haven't got round to eating, most of it is fine though.

Caporegime
Unfortunately these things do have to be checked, one person "kindly" donated a selection of tinned produce after their mum died and they were clearing out the house. Lots of tins expired in the early 90's, one of them even had a price sticker from pre-decimalisation. A collection point in our building is visited often by older people who will bring along whatever they have in their cupboards that they haven't got round to eating, most of it is fine though.
Thats best before though if the cans are still sealed the contents is fine.

Iirc they opened some cans of spam from the nepolionic wars a while back and it was still good

Man of Honour
Some people in here, the negative ones towards giving food, don't seem to have a clue how these things are run on a very local volunteers level.

Also the food isn't just given to those struggling with incomes that still don't cover food bills, at certain places I have seen they will use some of the food donated to prepare themselves and serve to homeless people etc. Usually walk in days and the like for lunches.
The people don't want money handling of any kind, it really complicates things, then you have to go through all the paper work of keeping accounts, setting up and getting charity status etc. This is a way good people who take there time out can help those immediatly in front of them.

DON'T LET FACTS GET IN THE WAY OF A GOOD MOAN BY NORM

Soldato
I don't hold any narcissistic traits, so I'm not the sort of person who would film a video buying a homeless person a starbucks and then plaster it all over the internet like I'm Patron Saint of England.

You're criticising someone for giving to charity, you're not going to win the moral victory here.

Soldato
How to best support food banks would be a great thread in it's own right so if anyone wants to continue discussing it please open one in GD (before making this thread need pruning).

Associate
New desk for my home office, finally got the space i need. £30 off eBay, perfect condition.

Home_Office.jpg

Back
Top Bottom