Images of items I have purchased (except trainers [no feet pics])

Soldato
My last new sword of 2016: a British infantry officer's sabre dated to 1796-1803, likely for a flank officer. Our flank companies took part in much of the close engagements with the enemy and so some of their officers didn't fancy the (often a bit weedy) spadroon they were supposed to carry. They were also considered a bit elite so they looked to the dashing light cavalry regiments for a sword that would be more effective in close quarters and found their model in the 1796 Light Cavalry Sabre.

My dealer has a better camera than me so I'm using his photographs:

YXG4IRel.jpg
Walwomql.jpg
aSe0qx5l.jpg

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Stuff. Bought to alleviate the depression of another round of xmas garbage. Dunno what I'm gonna do with any of it (except the headphones), I think I was daydreaming I was someone else.

Gu53FYC.jpg

Headphone quality is garbage, especially compared to the Otium ones I got in feb for a tenner. Shame they died. However, already tested on the treadmill and they were very well locked into my ears.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's the old first gen but;

i5 4590T
250GB SSD
GTX 860
8GB Ram

The new one is exactly the same bar a 960 and newer i5 cost me £250 immaculate too, brilliant little machine, has Bluetooth so can use my One S controller. Comes with the older 360 controller.

That is a cracking price, was it second hand?

Soldato
My last new sword of 2016: a British infantry officer's sabre dated to 1796-1803, likely for a flank officer. Our flank companies took part in much of the close engagements with the enemy and so some of their officers didn't fancy the (often a bit weedy) spadroon they were supposed to carry. They were also considered a bit elite so they looked to the dashing light cavalry regiments for a sword that would be more effective in close quarters and found their model in the 1796 Light Cavalry Sabre.

YXG4IRel.jpg
Walwomql.jpg
aSe0qx5l.jpg

That is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Soldato

YXG4IRel.jpg

Soldato
Sharpe didn't like the light cavalry sabre, he preferred the sword of the heavy cavalry :D

Absolutely. He was an inelegant commoner, hence his choice of an inelegant blade. ;)

That is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Ooh thats nice.

Most welcome, thank you!

Another stunner there Edrof. Have to ask though, what's the grip made from? It looks a lot like ivory.

Cheers! It's bone, but the appearance of that and ivory are very similar and sometimes you have to know the grain or do a hot needle test to discern the two.

Soldato
Yep but it cant be repaired I guess

Sharpe was not cavalry? flank or skirmisher tactics probably is much different to his requirement for a heavy sword

Been reading the books recently, he is not cavalry but I think that as an officer in the light company he was meant to carry a light cavalry sword anyway, but he wanted something a bit more bludgeony.

Also I kind of want a remade Sharpe, the books are way grittier than the films/TV shows. Sean Bean was really good as Sharpe, but the effects are dated, and the budget clearly wasn't there.

Imagine if HBO remade it now!

Soldato
I have a couple of 1796 light cavalrys. Love them.

Me too, although I'm yet to own one. Hopefully this year!

Sharpe was not cavalry? flank or skirmisher tactics probably is much different to his requirement for a heavy sword

Been reading the books recently, he is not cavalry but I think that as an officer in the light company he was meant to carry a light cavalry sword anyway, but he wanted something a bit more bludgeony.

Also I kind of want a remade Sharpe, the books are way grittier than the films/TV shows. Sean Bean was really good as Sharpe, but the effects are dated, and the budget clearly wasn't there.

Imagine if HBO remade it now!

Sharpe would have had to buy himself a 1796 Pattern Infantry Officers' Spadroon from his outfitter, then buy an 1803 Pattern when that came out (which, like mine above, was based on the light cavalry sabre of the day). He would not have liked the spadroon at all! He was raised from the ranks and had no money though, so he used a 1796 heavy cavalry sword that was gifted to him by his dying CO.

Back
Top Bottom