Images of items I have purchased (except trainers [no feet pics])

Soldato
I'd love to do something with my internal doors, they are cheap looking ones (including the handles) and I have 10 of them dotted throughout the place.

I ran about and measured up locations, sizes, and whether they had locks. Wickes sell the 5 panel oak ones but they don't seem to be finished. I added up what I had so far but I think I'd need to spend out extra on top of the door costs.

Looks like I'd require:

New handles and locks
Some kind of finishing on the doors
Doors fitted including new handles/locks

Unsure if the Kitchen door would need to be fire rated? can anyone confirm if this is the case?

I'd assume a good chippy could take care of the work of finishing, installing, new handles etc, but unsure how much I may expect to pay for the privilege of not botching it myself?

zqysnC6.png

Soldato
Caporegime
@HungryHippos it's probably the same. It's likely your house was up before the building regs were in place. 30 mins is pretty standard for a kitchen but keep in mind the whole doorset needs to be 30 mins to have any worth. That means frame, hinges and door. If the walls aren't 30 min rated then it's largely pointless.

Soldato
@HungryHippos it's probably the same. It's likely your house was up before the building regs were in place. 30 mins is pretty standard for a kitchen but keep in mind the whole doorset needs to be 30 mins to have any worth. That means frame, hinges and door. If the walls aren't 30 min rated then it's largely pointless.

The house is around 1.5 years old, so I'd expect it would need to meet current regulations. I just read you can replace like for like, and I do not believe any of my doors are fire doors as things stand so should be fine. As a new house the walls will be simple plasterboard I doubt they would last all that long in a serious fire!

Caporegime
The house is around 1.5 years old, so I'd expect it would need to meet current regulations. I just read you can replace like for like, and I do not believe any of my doors are fire doors as things stand so should be fine. As a new house the walls will be simple plasterboard I doubt they would last all that long in a serious fire!

Typically 2 layers of plaster board is 30mins. Like for like is fine.
Part B of the building regs will give you the details if you're interested. It's free from the
.gov website.

Soldato
Typically 2 layers of plaster board is 30mins. Like for like is fine.
Part B of the building regs will give you the details if you're interested. It's free from the
.gov website.

I had a quick read of this page: https://www.jbkind.com/blog/do-i-need-fire-doors-in-my-home

Seems to suggest I'm OK. Garage doesn't have a adjoining door from the house, and it's only 2 storeys tall. Fire doors also seem to require a mechanism to keep them closed, my kitchen door looks exactly like a normal door and is permanently open at the moment, giving it a quick knock it appears to be made out of the same material as well.

I think I'm OK to just use reasonable quality doors with the whole like-for-like replacement thing.

Soldato
I love that new bathroom The Craig, any more details?

Thanks! Nice to. Have some positive feedback. Posted some more pics here /house in general
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32084408

What size is your bathroom and how much did all that cost. Looking to renovate our current bathroom which is about 2.2m x 3.3m but as it's a flat I'm not sure what the limitations are.

I'll need to double check, it's 1.7 at short side I think to around 3 long side.
Cost wise it's very expensive! :x
It was about 5.5k for labour (new window/ boxed in window for niche and brickwork done outside, Replastered, retiled, new floor, new wiring, plumbing/fitting)
Tiles around 400 (about 14/sqm so fairly cheap)
Shower screen/tray around 500
Shower 150
Radiator 150
Toilet/units/mirror about 500

All in looking at just shy of 7k:eek:

I had a slightly cheaper quote however this guy did the parents bathroom and I trusted him to work at my house whilst I was at work. It's the one bathroom. I have in the house so I wanted it done fairly quickly /properly otherwise in future I would consider DIY.

Associate
23rs6jl.jpg

Soldato

Do the English regulations state that a kitchen door has to be 1/2 hr? I can understand why is good practice as a lot of fires would start in the Kitchen.

Certainly for Scotland, the only requirement for a domestic 1/2 hr fire door if its directly linked to a garage or if your property is 3 storeys with your hall / stair requiring full 1/2 hr fire resistance.

Soldato
Unsure if they are or not, the spec doesn't seem to say, this is the link to one of them: https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Geneva-Internal-Cottage-5-Panel-Oak-Door---1981-x-762mm/p/214699

They do say they require 3 hinges but that's OK all of my current ones are 3 hinged. Unsure also if the hinges can be re-used or not.

My current kitchen door does not appear to be any different to my other doors around the house.
Those are ones I have. The carpenter said I wouldn't need 3 hinges for them as they're relatively light :S not sure if he was fobbing me off or not but currently seem OK.

They're not fire doors and think there's quite a few reviews stating they came damaged. All 4 of mine came ok tho (minor scuff marks which aren't noticeable). Can't complain for £72 each (now £63)

Back
Top Bottom