In Which we discuss the next folding at home competition

Soldato
OP
Plus i think a lot of people are either building new systems or doing upgrades, my main system is in bits atm so i'm certainly not ready.

Its certainly going to happen though, just not immediately.

Soldato
SiriusB said:
*Free until I earn enough to start paying it back :D

only another 5 more years untill the wife's 9k will be written off :D

Edit:
and still awaiting my ds4, due early jan (last bit that's required - new case, new fans, new plus80 psu, laped e6400, new (ish) HSF all awaiting build) so the comp. can't start just yet ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought I'd better revive this thread before I have to go to page 2 god forbid!

I think we have settled on the format for the competition so it is down to the fine details.

I have been looking at the techreport page on the F@H benchmarks and they appear to be pretty good on the per WU type basis. However once it gets to overall performance I don't agree with the numbers. According to the last two graphs AMD Athlons are better than I have observed and overall a Pentium XE 965 is apparently the second-fastest CPU after the QX6700.

Now I know the numbers come from the individual benchmarks of the different types of WU but the software they use doesn't really take into account what WUs are actually available. If the best suited WUs were available then great, but as it is it would be unfair to judge say an AMD 64s performance on these numbers when during the competition there is a good chance they will not see a single tinker or amber. Briefly looking at the current project summary at Stanford, there are no Ambers and just a handful of Tinkers.

This is why I prefer the CPC numbers as they are a better reflection of the performance you can expect to achieve at the moment and it is a more exhaustive list of CPUs.

I am struggling to find a way to use the best parts of both sets of data. I don't want to dismiss the TR data as it should hold true always, whereas the CPC data is based on two projects currently available and may well change.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is rather than average the PPDs for all the WU types tested is to work out what proportion of WU types are available at the moment and maybe increase or decrease the value of each type depending on the probability of getting one...

So for instance at the moment there is no chance of an Amber so I can remove its PPD value from the average. Bad news for AMDs but you aint gonna get one anyway. There is chance of a tinker, so lets say 30% probability.. so we reduce the value of Tinkers...

It is a bit fiddly and it is just the start of an idea but I cant think of anything else - Im not a statistician :p

SiriusB

Soldato
lay-z-boy said:

:D

Hmm I have had a change of heart about the stats...

Looking at the "projected" PPD figures for the TechReport figures, I have found on the whole they are in line with the CPC figures :o

I still prefer the CPC figures because many more CPUs were tested. However the TR benchies seem to support the CPC results so it's all good :D

SiriusB

Soldato
CPC Figures here

Tech Report Figures here

While there are a few discrepancies both sets of results are pretty much in line with each other [Tech Report scores tend to be a little higher]. What threw me off initially was an Intel Pentium XE 965 coming out on top of the Dual-core CPUs in the tech report results, but I remembered the XE has hyper-threading, so basically has [almost] 4 cores.

At the moment I am busy getting all the CPC values and getting the averages and I will be sticking them in a spreadsheet. I just need to work out how best to organise the spreadsheet.

SiriusB

Soldato
OP
Time to get moving with this i think.

What does the phone confirmation do in paypal for account validation? Does it just ring you and you have to press a button or do they ask you questions or what?
Trying to get a paypal account set up for donating prize money mainly. [Edit: nvm, finally found the relevant info on the paypal website.]

Sirius are you still up for dealing with the prizes and donations?

I'll do a little summary of the rules at some point just to save everyone reading through the thread.

Edit: Can someone remind me how the ecowarriors league will work, i take it we aren't just going to use tdp...?
Its a while since i had my mind on this and i've forgotten a few things.

Last edited:
Soldato
How about the 1st of Feb (or is that to soon, for the PR machine )
That way it's compatible with the 'news' and first of the month.

Can't remember if someone was on competition sig duty (nothing like free advertising) - linking it to null's sig generator and you've an 'moving' / advert / pimping sig that’s within the rules

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'd rather not set deadlines, i prefer to say when its finished its finished and then we can roll whenever we like. If its not done by 1st of feb then it should start 1st of march if you think its best to have it at the beginning of the month. Or maybe even we should wait for a holiday. But one way or another i think we should finish it first and get everything prepared and ready, then decide when we're having it.

Its requiring a lot of preparation because its the first really serious competition we've done, but once this has all been done we can re-use things like competition sigs and such.

And i'm sure the news can always be moved to coincide with the competition, and i expect the competition will have its own news.

I hope someone will upload a set of sigs for the competition to nulls sig generator, or i will if someone can do the images, then we can just hand them out to all who want them and just change the user for the stats. Or people can do their own.

Are we going to allow people to enter into multiple leagues with one machine?
I think if people can only enter into one league that would make it complicated for them to choose which league to join, so i think the league should simply be the prizes on offer and the way that we categorise the stats, rather than separate competitions. Thus the folding name format wouldn't include the league, except amd/intel league of course.

Are we going to let people enter multiple machines?
I think we should, because the more the merrier, but if this results in one person receiving multiple prizes what do we do?
I think we should have a rule that a person can only receive one prize ,excluding the raffle prize which is of course random. And people would still be able to win in multiple leagues, just they would only get a prize for one of the league, any others they win the prize would go to whoever is 2nd.

Presumably a person entering several machines would have to have a unique folding name for each machine...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom