In Which we discuss the next folding at home competition

Soldato
So it is settled, GD it is. I think we should definitely point out that it is not a thread about the merits of Folding or any other DC project. Last thing we need is a bunch of people moaning how it is a waste of time etc

We all remember the pimping thread...

...that's a point, better make sure Joe42 stays out :p

SiriusB

Soldato
Ok I'll try and put this one to bed. (or maybe open a whole new can of worms :p )
I don’t see these as separate competitions; all single cpu competitors’ are included in all rankings. Information required – competition user name, cpu type, cpu Oc (if any)

League 1 ‘blockbusters’
Straight out race – one Mobo, max 4 active processors allowed.
Can’t see any problems with this.

League 2 ‘overclockers’
Points divided by stock cpu speed.
SB table confirm (well almost) my C2D-AMD-P4 comparison but I actually think the simple ratio of baseline to achieved score he suggested is better. Simple, effective and comparable – genus

Does need some work adding both scores and dividing my two.
Only problem I can see with the CPC data is that it’s intel bias, as the AMD are better at the tinker/amber cores (abet there are less of them around currently) see here.
That said you could use the benchmark list at techreport to amend the Custom PC larger list of cpu’s

League 3 – ‘ecowarrors’
Points divided by Watts used

TDP lies (well that a bit strong) but AMD and Intel define them differently for a start, and even then It's no real help to working out Oc's so that a non-starter

The compiled list I've already put up is based on real life figures with watts used in a typical rig doing DC projects at 100% load.
The difference due to additional Ram above 1gb (2w per GB of ddr and 5w per GB of ddr2) is not worth inc. Chipsets can make a massive difference, but relate to cpu almost directly so I’ve gone with keeping the table as is (abet I need some xeon figs)

As to Oc I've been doing some research and come up with two simple ratio's as power/thermal output is liner to clock cycles.
Most Intel’s are between .098 and .093 watts/Hz. To keep it simple I'll call it .095
C2D and AMD's have a shallower line of between .078 and .084. so I'll call this .08.
Or to put it an other way, Intel’s have Oc factor of 95w per GHz, and C2D & AMDs have a factor of 80w per GHz
Are we all following ok - no! well let's give an example.

my [email protected]
= 185w (stock) + [(3.6-2.66)*95] (Oc in Ghz times 'intel Oc factor' above)
= 185+[.94x95]
= 185+89
= 274w

Accepted it's a bit of work but nothing that a spreadsheet couldn't do in a flash.

League 4 ‘bang for buck’
On reflection I think we should drop this.
It’s open to argument if MM prices used. I like the idea of current prices (at Ocuk say) but this will exclude many participants - might do this for my own purposes but not as part of competition.

Edit: As to the Intel vs AMD (with is a great idea btw) - all that needs is an average points per person to remove the issue of one team being larger that the other.

Last edited:
Soldato
SiriusB said:
So it is settled, GD it is. I think we should definitely point out that it is not a thread about the merits of Folding or any other DC project. Last thing we need is a bunch of people moaning how it is a waste of time etc

SiriusB
Last time there was a folding thread in GD it almost did more harm than good - the competition is all about your PC hardware so GH is the right place for it in my opinion

Soldato
Excellent. I feel like we have reached a milestone - let's party!

*strips off and runs around nekkid*

Ahem...

I know the CPC figures are only a snapshot but it is a good starting point. I will however try and compile more data and work out some averages based on a broader range of WUage. I am pretty sure the CPC tests used both cores of the CPUs tested so we are looking at each CPUs full potential at stock speeds. I shall double-check though and make amends where necessary.

So we have me sorting out the OC numbers, shadow is sorting the TDP numbers and I will assume rich can sort out the flat-out race. Now, since we can't let rich do all the work, as he has the normal news to sort out, so I reckon whenever we do the updates rich sends us the relevant scores for myself and shadow to work out and we return the numbers. Or rich tells me how he gets all the data and I just send him the current scores etc :D

There might be a better way so I am open to suggestion!

SiriusB

Soldato
OP
SiriusB said:

SiriusB
Heh... i promise not to get involved in a flame war this time. :p

I'm still in favour of putting it in gh because its not a pimping thread, its a competition which will be measured on the merits of your hardware.
SiriusB said:
Excellent. I feel like we have reached a milestone - let's party!

*strips off and runs around nekkid*

Ahem...
*averts gaze*

Yes, i think we have the basic formula mostly sorted.

Last edited:
Soldato
SiriusB said:
So we have me sorting out the OC numbers, shadow is sorting the TDP numbers and I will assume rich can sort out the flat-out race. Now, since we can't let rich do all the work, as he has the normal news to sort out, so I reckon whenever we do the updates rich sends us the relevant scores for myself and shadow to work out and we return the numbers. Or rich tells me how he gets all the data and I just send him the current scores etc :D

There might be a better way so I am open to suggestion!

SiriusB

Following the particapants all being signed up (via -configonly) I'm sure that me and SB could top 'n' tale a spreadsheet that just needs the scores entered, and it does the rest. Which we could (1) send to Rich (or another) as a data file or (2) just supply the ranking in a post or even (3) use our PS skill to do a top 10 jpg chart list :D .

Soldato
To be honest I can't imagine there will be a lot of people in each category so it shouldn't take much time for me and ss to find the relavent participants and plug them in a spreadsheet, then send results to Mr Millions.

All I need to know is how rich gets his results, as they are usually slightly different to EOCs stats...

SiriusB

Soldato
So it is just a case of you taking the current score and deducting the score from the week before?

Seems simple enough. With the competition prefixes it shouldn't be very hard to find everyone. I think we need new prefixes too, since the leagues are a bit different now...

[FaH06_league_vendor]nickname

league
OC = overclockers league
EW = eco-warrior league
BB = blockbuster league

vendor
AMD
Intel

eg. [FaH06_OC_AMD]SiriusB

Yeah, I like it :D

SiriusB

Soldato
SiriusB said:
So it is just a case of you taking the current score and deducting the score from the week before?

Seems simple enough. With the competition prefixes it shouldn't be very hard to find everyone. I think we need new prefixes too, since the leagues are a bit different now...

eg. [FaH06_OC_AMD]SiriusB

SiriusB

I don't see why the leagues/company need to be in the prefix. :confused:
If all are in every league ranking, and the stats list the users spec why not just use [FaH06]SiriusB ?

KISS (keep it stupid simple) for the uses
give cpu/oc - sign up - crunch (and we do the rest)

Associate
I think we should go with the above format suggested by SS, seems to be general agreement on that.

Are we going for 4 prizes then? Overclocker, blockbuster, eco-warrior and random? Seems to make sense.

Im also for GH, GD could get rather messy!

Soldato
shadowscotland said:
I don't see why the leagues/company need to be in the prefix. :confused:
If all are in every league ranking, and the stats list the users spec why not just use [FaH06]SiriusB ?

KISS (keep it stupid simple) for the uses
give cpu/oc - sign up - crunch (and we do the rest)

OK fair enough. :)

As for prizes, I got a spare £40 LoveFilm voucher the other day. 3 months free DVD rentals. I am willing to donate that as a prize.

SiriusB

Soldato
OP
LordShadow said:
Are we going for 4 prizes then? Overclocker, blockbuster, eco-warrior and random? Seems to make sense.
Yes i think so.

Do we want one for the highest points aswell or will that just be bragging rights?

Edit: Sorry thats blockbuster isn't it.

SiriusB said:
As for prizes, I got a spare £40 LoveFilm voucher the other day. 3 months free DVD rentals. I am willing to donate that as a prize.
Thats a pretty impressive donation. I say we offer that one as our raffle prize as it would probably be the best prize we have and its not pc related... but as its your prize, you should decide. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Joe42 said:
Yes i think so.

Do we want one for the highest points aswell or will that just be bragging rights?

Edit: Sorry thats blockbuster isn't it.

Thats a pretty impressive donation. I say we offer that one as our raffle prize as it would probably be the best prize we have and its not pc related... but as its your prize, you should decide. :)

Sounds impressive but it isn't really. I went on a 2 week free trial with lovefilm and then cancelled. Then right out the blue two £40 vouchers turn up. One for me and one for a friend. So, it hasn't cost me anything and I haven't lost out. :D

As for which competition gets the prize... not bothered. Raffle is probably best but it's whether people want it lol.

Soldato
OP
SiriusB said:
Sounds impressive but it isn't really. I went on a 2 week free trial with lovefilm and then cancelled. Then right out the blue two £40 vouchers turn up. One for me and one for a friend. So, it hasn't cost me anything and I haven't lost out. :D
Win win situation then. :p

Soldato
In the next few weeks I think. We wanted to get Christmas and New Year out the way as I imagine a lot of people are away from home/not folding/don't want to faff during their holiday.

SiriusB

Back
Top Bottom