Indoor rowing - Concept 2

Soldato
It's worth having a look at the force curve on the PM as it gives you an idea of your stroke form as at 2:19/31 you could probably be a bit more efficient! Do a few strokes and stick a picture up, ideally you want a nice round curve with no peaks or troughs.

Soldato
It's worth having a look at the force curve on the PM as it gives you an idea of your stroke form as at 2:19/31 you could probably be a bit more efficient! Do a few strokes and stick a picture up, ideally you want a nice round curve with no peaks or troughs.
Thanks, seems I need to investigate the settings more. Tbh I've just been using "Just Row" and not really looked into it. The SPM seems fairly consistent whether I do long or short strokes, maybe I need to up the resistance, would that make any difference? I'll have a look for the force curve.

Soldato
You could do with seeing what 5 on your damper actually relates to as drag factor. If you go into More Options, then Display Drag, pull a few stokes and see what it says. At 75kg, maybe try about 125, see how it feels and go from there. About 110 to 135 seems a good range for most people depending on height and weight.
I'd imagine it's just your form that needs working on, there are some great videos for that though. With more efficient form you'll be smashing your pace at a much lower SPM! :)

Soldato
You could do with seeing what 5 on your damper actually relates to as drag factor. If you go into More Options, then Display Drag, pull a few stokes and see what it says. At 75kg, maybe try about 125, see how it feels and go from there. About 110 to 135 seems a good range for most people depending on height and weight.
I'd imagine it's just your form that needs working on, there are some great videos for that though. With more efficient form you'll be smashing your pace at a much lower SPM! :)
Cheers, there's always more to these things than there first appears. I definitely feel like I'm working hard so as you say there is likely some increased efficiency to be had.

Edit: Just checked it, it was about 135, nudged it down a bit, still roughly set at 5 but now gives 125.

Looking at technique it seems I go far too far forward, seat pretty well touching my feet. A lot to be gained here I think.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm keen to get a rowing machine for home, as I remember it being the hardest of workouts that could be good over winter instead of being on the bike for hours in the dark. Can anyone give some tips on something decent that would be suitable and that is fair value?

Soldato
I'm keen to get a rowing machine for home, as I remember it being the hardest of workouts that could be good over winter instead of being on the bike for hours in the dark. Can anyone give some tips on something decent that would be suitable and that is fair value?
I got a really good 0% deal on a Concept 2, they are very good and have great resale value. Seems a lot to spend but if you use them regularly you soon get your money's worth and they are well made. I don't pay for gym membership any more so eventually it pays for itself. I like rowing as it is a good all rounder and very time efficient, you soon get tired!

Soldato
Also have a look at JTX... I have had the Ignite Air nor almost 2½ years and it's great. Costs much less than the Concept although the computer isn't as detailed as the Concept (doesn't give splits over a longer distance for example)

Soldato
As Richie has said above, if you don't want to spend concept2 money, get a JTX rower - the money you save more than makes up for the more limiting computer. I've said earlier in this thread but easy to miss, build quality is comparable to a C2.

Associate
I would just like to brag about the Facebook marketplace bargain I had a few months back, a Concept 2 Model C with PM5 monitor for £30.

Bit beaten up cosmetically but works great and is my first foray into indoor rowing.

What a workout!

Soldato
I would just like to brag about the Facebook marketplace bargain I had a few months back, a Concept 2 Model C with PM5 monitor for £30.

Bit beaten up cosmetically but works great and is my first foray into indoor rowing.

What a workout!
Talk about a bargain, not sure if you can get spares but you can't go wrong at that price. I've been pushing it a bit more and found out that 500m in 2mins is about my limit at my current fitness level, you can really feel it!

Back
Top Bottom