Indoor rowing - Concept 2

Soldato
Not got a Concept machine as I couldn't stretch that far but bought a JTX Ignite Air back in circa July last year (still allowed in here? :p)

Having owned a Concept2 and currently owning a JTX, the latter is at least as good mechanically as a C2, just let down by the software/tracking.

Soldato
Yeah, the PM5 seems a better unit. JTX is quite basic and missing things like split times etc.

It was certainly shocking how simple it was compared to the PM5 - however if the goal is simply to jump on, throw out some KM's and maintain general fitness, the JTX is more than adequate at a much more palatable price point.

Soldato
Not quite the monsterous 21km or 5k in 18:37 on here, but getting back into the rowing.

Todays effort

500m sprint - 1:36.3 (a PB for me as never bested my 1:37.3 that I did in 2016)
YFxW3GMh.jpg

Followed by a 3km - 11:55.3
uhl60f0h.jpg

Soldato
2k day today. Smashed my PB from November by about 5s although didn't quite hit my target of sub 6:20. Didn't push enough in the middle and left myself too much to do with the sprint at the end... I really need to learn to calm my nerves. I did a 500m piece yesterday (at 1:34) and my HR was 165 at the end of it... Look what it was at after 500m today :o

But boy was it a helluva sprint at the end :eek: the prediction with 300m to go was 6:24 and I remember thinking to myself 'that won't do' so decided to go full has from 300m and hold on, which I managed to do just about but definitely came the closest I have to blacking out at the end. I felt utterly, utterly awful for about half an hour after finishing. Worse than I've ever felt before after a 2k.

Still, fairly happy :D
Wow :eek: I was dieing after 1 x 500m at 1:36, HR at a guess in the 180 region. That last split must have been painful

Soldato
Wow :eek: I was dieing after 1 x 500m at 1:36, HR at a guess in the 180 region. That last split must have been painful

Yeah it was pretty unpleasant!

I'm still training, but as I am back full time working this year (20-21 season I basically wasn't working because of covid), finding it a lot harder to fit enough training in. My 5k this year dropped about 2 splits from my previous PB, and we are working towards a 2k in about a months time, so will see where I am at for that, but I'm not too confident about beating the above

Soldato
What do people have their resistance set to on their machines?

The reason I am asking is thatI have just recently restarted and I'm able to do 5K in around 18:30 minutes and some comments on here seem to suggest that's a good time (AVG 1.49/500m). So I'm wondering if I maybe have the resistance way too low?

I have it at level 3 of 9 on my JTX machine

Soldato
They calculate the power output differently so you can't compare across machines. For example, on a water rower, I can pull a 2km about 30 seconds faster than my C2 PB without feeling like I'm about to pass out at the end of it!

Soldato
Ah I see... I thought it worked out the distance much simpler than that using how far the wheel rotates and converting rotational distance into linear distance... Fair enough.

I guess I'd need to do a 5k on a C2 to see if the JTX measures it the same then. I know they market the Ignite Air as the equivalent to the C2 (even their site does a direct comparison).

On Pete's Plan Week 3 now... 6K in bang on 22 mins with a 1:49 split average although I was blowing out my arse for the last 500 just to stop it going over 22 mins :cry::cry:

Soldato
Yeh, it's hard to say unfortunately unless you do an equivalent test distance on a different machine. I know the water rowers read faster than a C2, but no idea on the JTX.

Stolen from the C2 forums on how they calculate pace:
The sensor output (an impulse stream) lets the PM measure the maximum and minimum flywheel speeds and the times when these occur.
The loss of speed during recovery and the flywheel inertia give the Work done on the atmosphere by the fan during recovery between strokes.
This work is then extrapolated to the full stroke and this, divided by overall stroke time, gives the rate of work (Power) in Watts, shown just after the pull ends.

Soldato
On last day of Pete's Plan week 5

7KM
25:46
1:50/500m average.

I'd post the screen but it's not a Concept machine so doesn't give split times :(.

Once I get to week 8, I'll do 1 extra workout (upto 4 a week) and then the same at week 16 so that I am doing all 3 main and both optionals for the last 8 weeks of the program.

Soldato
Starting Week 13 of Pete's Plan. Upto 4 workouts a week (will move to the 5 on week 17-24).

PB 10k today - 36m42s with an avg 1:49 splits (500m splits) over the full distance.

Looking at the post above this one, I've managed to do 25% more distance and just lower the splits by 1 sec/500m... Quite happy with that :)

Soldato
Starting Week 13 of Pete's Plan. Upto 4 workouts a week (will move to the 5 on week 17-24).

PB 10k today - 36m42s with an avg 1:49 splits (500m splits) over the full distance.

Looking at the post above this one, I've managed to do 25% more distance and just lower the splits by 1 sec/500m... Quite happy with that :)

Good work! It's great being able to look back and see how much you've improved. It's quite impressive that by the end you'll be smashing out over double the distance of week one while being faster at the same time.

I've been working my way through trying to regain some fitness and am up to week 5 although have had to have the last week off as I've pushed a bit too much and my knee is swollen and painful again. Rehab sucks, it's so frustrating not being anywhere near where I was last summer.

Soldato
It's frustrating having to stop due to injury just as you're getting into it.

Talking about knees - I've found mine have become a lot more resilient/flexible since I've started rowing. Crouching down for a length of time and being able to just stand up like I was 20 again :cry:.

It's actually really beneficial for joints as a side effect over and above the full body workout and cardio on top.

Soldato
Mine were great until I trashed one of them last year! Then I couldn't even bend past 90 degrees without a lot of pain and much grinding and popping so rowing was a no go for 6 months.

Soldato
I have just recently restarted and I'm able to do 5K in around 18:30 minutes...

Now got this down to 17:30 as part of a longer distance - 10k in 35:40

Onto week 16 of Pete Plan so I think I'll do the 24 weeks (upto 5 workouts a week from 17-24) and then kick up the resistance a couple of levels. It means I can see the improvement by keeping it the same for now

Back
Top Bottom