• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel 10th Gen Comet Lake thread

Associate
Parts of it are included already, but mostly are coming with the Windows 2004 kernel.
That is also why you see a 5%-6% core clock advantage over the 9900K been evaporated to handful fps.
One telling benchmark is anandtech web browser stuff https://www.anandtech.com/show/15785/the-intel-comet-lake-review-skylake-we-go-again/10.
Intel used to be in clear lead there until security mitigations hit. Note how 9900K loses to 9600K and 9700K, because those have no security hole of HT.

Now 10900K is on top again, but I can't tell if its lead over 9900K is due to different hardware used and higher clocks or because mitigations no longer penalise it as much.

Caporegime
For gaming, this is the best you can get. A solid increase over the 9900k. It's scary how well Intel's 5 year old architecture is holding up - Intel will completely wipe the floor with AMD when they are able to launch a high end 10/7nm next gen architecture, courtesy of Jim Keller. That's likely to be another Sandy Bridge moment for Intel.
Surely JK can't be the *only* person who can design a next-gen CPU architecture.

I know he's considered the best-of-the-best by some, but surely he can't be the only person capable of turning things around, first for AMD then for Intel.

Don
Surely JK can't be the *only* person who can design a next-gen CPU architecture.

I know he's considered the best-of-the-best by some, but surely he can't be the only person capable of turning things around, first for AMD then for Intel.

You would think not but it does appear to be this way. I guess we have to wait and see what he can do with Intel.

Soldato
One telling benchmark is anandtech web browser stuff https://www.anandtech.com/show/15785/the-intel-comet-lake-review-skylake-we-go-again/10.
Intel used to be in clear lead there until security mitigations hit. Note how 9900K loses to 9600K and 9700K, because those have no security hole of HT.

Now 10900K is on top again, but I can't tell if its lead over 9900K is due to different hardware used and higher clocks or because mitigations no longer penalise it as much.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13400/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-i7-9700k-i5-9600k-review/9

Thats the initial review from Oct 2018. I do not believe have tested the 9000 on the 10900K benchmark, so all the 9900K numbers do not include any mitigation Intel pushed the last 18 months!!!!!!

Same applies to the Ryzen 3000 review last year. They haven't updated their numbers to reflect that, just strapped the Ryzen numbers with the unmitigated Intel numbers

Last edited:
Associate
They haven't updated their numbers to reflect that, just strapped the Ryzen numbers with the unmitigated Intel numbers
9900K released and reviewed after first wave of security mitigations hit, so its numbers always included them (at least those available at time of testing)
But yeah, I remember again not to trust anand

Caporegime
Techdeals has a really good review.

They tested a whole bunch of newer games and what they did was run all games with Vulkun when it was available (because Vulkun is much better than DirectX at removing bottlenecks so the CPU can breath) and the 3900x puts up a very good show, even beating the 10900k in a some games

They also said they had to change their cooling, the usual 280mm aio test bench was a total failure and they had to upgrade to a 360mm and even with this, the 10900k still hit 101c on a single Cinebench r20 run. Intel's high end no longer has the "who cares I'll just overclock it" mantra - AMD is super close but because of how far the 10900k is already pushed gamers just won't be able to get anymore out of it without advanced exotic cooling

They should all do this really, no one uses DX12 if Vulkan is available because its so much better.... link pls?

Caporegime

Jim Keller left AMD before they launched Zen 1, Zen 2 is way beyond that now and Zen 3 will take it further, he has not been at AMD for more than 3 years so i don't think Zen 3 or Zen 2 can be attributed to him.

He's not even part of Intel's CPU team, he's with Raja on the GPU team.

Soldato
The Intel gods were not kind to Linus

6ypu53s636051.jpg

Soldato
Don't know if it's been mentioned in the thread I had a quick scan and didn't see it, The Intel 10400 seems to be a good contender and at a price point that puts it up against the Ryzen 3600... I've watched a tech YouTuber reviewing it and doing some benchmarks, it seems Intel have done something right this time around and the lower end CPU's

Soldato
Don't know if it's been mentioned in the thread I had a quick scan and didn't see it, The Intel 10400 seems to be a good contender and at a price point that puts it up against the Ryzen 3600... I've watched a tech YouTuber reviewing it and doing some benchmarks, it seems Intel have done something right this time around and the lower end CPU's

The 10600k doesn't look bad either, other than power use when using turbo. It needs to be priced right though which Intel seems to be doing very wrong with it.

Soldato
The 10600k doesn't look bad either, other than power use when using turbo. It needs to be priced right though which Intel seems to be doing very wrong with it.

Yeah the 10600k does look good but for near on £100 more than the 3600 I don't think I'd consider it... Its at the same price as the 3700x which has more cores and threads, also there is a big TDP difference in the two.

Caporegime
So little talk of these new processors?

I thought they were released now?

They are, they're just nothing special. A 9900k with 2 more cores glued on, nothing more.

Sad thing is for Intel in the days of bulldozer etc they could have shown leadership by upping the core count, instead they were content to chuck out quad core after quad core for years on end, occasionally releasing a hex core that then vanished for the next cpu series, now it's bit them in the ass. I would be tempted to say that the "8 core" bulldozer didn't give a good impression and intel steered away from core count, but in reality it was just laziness knowing amd would be stuck with that architecture for several years.

interesting though that according to some reviews supply for the top end comet lake is supposedly constrained, yet there's still plenty in stock on a lot of the uk sites. Either there's more stock than they expected or they're not selling well.

Last edited:
Soldato
List of z490 boards that have dud Intel Ethernet ports (the issue causes your connection to randomly drop incoming data packets)

ahttps://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/gp2okm/intel_25g_lan_issue_impacted_models/

New revision motherboards that have this issue fixed are starting manufacturing in June, so if you buy one of these z490 models on the current revision maybe don't use the Intel Ethernet or you'll notice some odd things while gaming like lag spikes from dropped packets

Back
Top Bottom