• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.
  • Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Arc series unveiled with the Alchemist dGPU to arrive in Q1 2022

Man of Honour
They were quite open about concentrating on DX12. And really, I think that those who were dreaming of 3080 / 3090 / 69xx performance were hopelessly optimistic. This is Intel's first try in many, many years.

It's not really though is it, they own the integrated and frankly we should expect better. How many years have they been writing drivers for? Anybody would think they are entirely new to market the way they are going. They aren't they have been writing GPU drivers for some 20 years poorly, extremely poorly. They even claim in one of those interviews that they don't write gaming drivers yet iris pro etc were partially sold on integrated gaming prowess... Mark my words this will be comical.

Associate
Why would it be comical if they targeted 3060/70 territory in performance and achieved that, and was at a price point that was reasonable to that territory?

I don’t get how that is “comical”.

* Territory , give or take , a few fps difference doesn’t make one gpu magically waaaaaay better and the other a complete fail.

Soldato
It's comical/tragic in the sense of after all this hype, who would buy a card which in a very selected set of games gets 3070/3070 performance while in all the other games it performs far worse or doesn't run at all.

A card - no matter its performance - won't bring any competition if it only works well in a handful of games.

Associate
Make no mistake, this looks to be a massive fail by Intel. We all expected (and were prepared to accept) that they wouldn't be competetive at the high end, or in terms of driver solidity in their 1st outing.
But for them to be massively behind on performance, power consumption, availability & not even to be able to menace AMD & NVidia's bottom end is... a huge fail, no matter how you look at it.
We could all have accepted mediocre cards that arrived on time in good quantities & had a few driver glitches, as long as the price reflected that. It looks like Intel are along way from being able to hit even 1 of those targets. I was never hyped up for this, but I'm still dissapointed.

Caporegime
Make no mistake, this looks to be a massive fail by Intel. We all expected (and were prepared to accept) that they wouldn't be competetive at the high end, or in terms of driver solidity in their 1st outing.
But for them to be massively behind on performance, power consumption, availability & not even to be able to menace AMD & NVidia's bottom end is... a huge fail, no matter how you look at it.
We could all have accepted mediocre cards that arrived on time in good quantities & had a few driver glitches, as long as the price reflected that. It looks like Intel are along way from being able to hit even 1 of those targets. I was never hyped up for this, but I'm still dissapointed.

I think the best they can hope for is to match the RX 6600XT.

The RX 6600XT is on TSMC 7nm, its 237mm^2

Intel's GPU is on TSMC 6nm, its 400mm^2 +

Doesn't look good does it.

Caporegime
It's comical/tragic in the sense of after all this hype, who would buy a card which in a very selected set of games gets 3070/3070 performance while in all the other games it performs far worse or doesn't run at all.

A card - no matter its performance - won't bring any competition if it only works well in a handful of games.
no one knows how much worse it is in other games or how much performance will improve with driver updates.

everyone is just speaking nonsense based on their internal bias in this thread it seems.

like me saying nvidida 4000 series is a failure because it hasn't launched yet and we know it will suck more than our expectations anyway and probably cost 5 grand

Associate

It doesn't look good at all. And I really wish that weren't the case. If it had arrived on time & been average,with some caveats, I would have called that a success & a basis for the future. The current situation looks like it's so bad they dare not bring it to market outside of China's captive market.
Personally, I'm sad about that.

Soldato
They need a few generations to bring things up to scratch at least. If they still have the stomach to pile in the resources after just a couple remains to be seen as it'll just swallow billions of dollars a year...
I think it may be a longer term strategy. To compete in the future they are going to need both CPU and GPU technology.

Soldato
I think it may be a longer term strategy. To compete in the future they are going to need both CPU and GPU technology.
Ah, but aside from CUDA's mindshare, do consumer GPUs matter for the lucrative HPC market which is where Intel's GPU strategy is aimed at (i.e. running scared that if they have nothing to offer there and that in the future any super computers projects automatically go to Nvidia and/or AMD) and for those... Drivers for legacy does not matter:
  1. Nvidia GA100: TSMC 7nm 54.2 billion transistors 826mm² from May 2020 (https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/nvidia-ga100.g931)
  2. Nvidia GH100: TSMC 4nm 80 billion transistors 814mm² from March 2022 (https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/nvidia-gh100.g1011)
  3. AMD Aldebaran: TSMC 6nm 58.2 billion transistors large?mm² Nov 2021 (https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/amd-aldebaran.g1002)
  4. Intel Arctic Sound: Intel 10nm 8 billion 190mm² (https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/intel-arctic-sound.g987)
(Unsure about 4. but it looks like it's meant to be a "Tile".)

Those are all the big super expensive parts and we hardly ever hear about them.

While in that market software support does matter, super computers do tend to get custom software so if something performs well (and at those scales perf/watt is probably the most important), then the users of these super-computers are willing to write new software.

Well, it's obviously not a walk in the park as there's strong competition and while Nvidia have done well there without a CPU Intel are also behind in CPUs (Alder Lake's Golden Cove "P" cores perform well but are huge in terms of die size and perf/watt).

As for us being dismissive too early about Intel's consumer GPUs: well Iris XE GT1 was a complete mess and has been with laptops since at least 2020 in terms of drivers and consistency. Now we had some reviews of A380 and it still had tons of drivers and inconsistent performance. So far we've only had some PR about A750. I think rather than us critics being biased, maybe it is the blind defenders of Intel despite any evidence who have the bias?

Soldato
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

But but.. Intel were meant to save us - bring competition to the space and.. and.

Epic fail. The only hail Mary they have now is if the follow up gen is ahead of time and they launch that to join the Ada/RDNA3 party.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
As for us being dismissive too early about Intel's consumer GPUs: well Iris XE GT1 was a complete mess and has been with laptops since at least 2020 in terms of drivers and consistency. Now we had some reviews of A380 and it still had tons of drivers and inconsistent performance. So far we've only had some PR about A750. I think rather than us critics being biased, maybe it is the blind defenders of Intel despite any evidence who have the bias?

Agree.

Caporegime
$400 for top end part, we happy with that?

What? No, the RTX 3060 and RX 6600XT are both less than that, why would you pay more for something that's not as good?

Big fail!

Back
Top Bottom