• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.
  • Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Arc series unveiled with the Alchemist dGPU to arrive in Q1 2022

Soldato
I don't get it, Intel's top card is = to RTX 3060Ti / RX 6650XT, why would any one pay the same $300 - $400 for them?

Do they think the brand mindshare will carry them through? lol no.

Intel already think they are Nvidia, good luck with that.
Hubris will prevent them doing an AMD. They need to sell low and get a few generations under their belt and ramp up as they get more competitive and their reputation improves.

Caporegime
Hubris will prevent them doing an AMD. They need to sell low and get a few generations under their belt and ramp up as they get more competitive and their reputation improves.

The RX 6650XT is 237mm^2 on TSMC 7nm
The A770 is 400mm^2 on TSMC 6nm

A GPU near twice the size built on a more expensive node, i can see Intel's thinking, they don't want to lose any more, probably selling them at cost, the problem is you have to buy your capacity from TSMC in advance, how ever many 6nm Wafers Intel bought they are already paid for.
We have to wait for independant reviews but i suspect when it goes on sale it will still be riddled with inconsistent performance and probably problems, If Intel ask the same money as Nvidia and AMD for that they just aren't going to sell any, no matter which way Intel slice it they will lose money, and i think they will lose a lot more pretending they are competitive with Nvidia and AMD, they aren't, not by a mile.

Caporegime
Lets put it this way, Intel might as well not be in this game, at all, not with that mind-set, it doesn't benefit us and they are destined to fail.

Just wait until AMD / Nvidia launch their new cards weeks after Intel get these out, good grief AMD could slap a clocked iGPU on to a PCB, call it a GPU and match this for $200, that's all the RX 6500XT is....

Caporegime

I don't understand the point in this, are we now saying that Adaptive Sync adds latency? because that was not Steve's narrative in any of his G-Sync and Free-Sync reviews.

I don't want my screen tearing to be blurry, i want it to be gone, that's what Adaptive Sync is, and if you don't have Adaptive Sync, or like me have an older 48Hz to 75Hz screen without LFC there is Fast Sync, which in my experience completely removes screen tearing at as low as sub 30 FPS to infinity...

Why would i want blurry screen tearing, as opposed to none at all?

Soldato
The RX 6650XT is 237mm^2 on TSMC 7nm
The A770 is 400mm^2 on TSMC 6nm

A GPU near twice the size built on a more expensive node, i can see Intel's thinking, they don't want to lose any more, probably selling them at cost, the problem is you have to buy your capacity from TSMC in advance, how ever many 6nm Wafers Intel bought they are already paid for.
We have to wait for independant reviews but i suspect when it goes on sale it will still be riddled with inconsistent performance and probably problems, If Intel ask the same money as Nvidia and AMD for that they just aren't going to sell any, no matter which way Intel slice it they will lose money, and i think they will lose a lot more pretending they are competitive with Nvidia and AMD, they aren't, not by a mile.
Yes, when the stories started that Intel had bought up tons of TSMC capacity some Intel fans said they were partially motivated to deny others (AMD) wafers... But TSMC are meant to have build extra capacity for Intel and Intel were meant to have paid in advance. Plus there was this political stuff about TSMC factories in the USA etc. - after all Intel do know how to lobby!

Anyway, let's say they went crazy and bought 100,000 TSMC 6nm wafers... What are they going to do with them? I think they have no choice but to be cheap. Intel the value champion!

Well, "value" as due to an inefficient design they have to give you 400mm² dies for less than others charge for 230mm²: the ultimate value per silicon area! However if their power efficiency is as bad we suspect then buyers need to figure spending more on electricity over the card's lifetime.

Just one thing: I don't think 6nm is more per wafer than 7nm as due the greater throughput TSMC were very keen to move customers to 6nm.

Soldato
Anyway, let's say they went crazy and bought 100,000 TSMC 6nm wafers... What are they going to do with them? I think they have no choice but to be cheap. Intel the value champion!
100k is nothing they could sell that in a week at the right price. Their pride won't let them though. Intel probably thinks they are already the market leader in discrete GPU's before they even launched.

Soldato
Actually, the original rumours said 180,000 and at about 130 400mm² dies per wafer, that would be 23 million. Not quite waste of silicon, but Navi 23 would get almost twice those numbers.

Caporegime
Yes, when the stories started that Intel had bought up tons of TSMC capacity some Intel fans said they were partially motivated to deny others (AMD) wafers... But TSMC are meant to have build extra capacity for Intel and Intel were meant to have paid in advance. Plus there was this political stuff about TSMC factories in the USA etc. - after all Intel do know how to lobby!

Well, "value" as due to an inefficient design they have to give you 400mm² dies for less than others charge for 230mm²: the ultimate value per silicon area! However if their power efficiency is as bad we suspect then buyers need to figure spending more on electricity over the card's lifetime.

Just one thing: I don't think 6nm is more per wafer than 7nm as due the greater throughput TSMC were very keen to move customers to 6nm.

I think Intel know they have no chance stealing Nvidia mind share, perhaps they do think they can replace AMD as No:2.

In the Linus Intel interview video they commented on how they all laughed at how not relevant AMD are in the GPU sector.
AMD have failed, so far, categorically to challenge Nvidia, perhaps this is why Linus thinks, or seemed to at least think that AMD are irrelevant in the GPU space, what they don't realise is that is down to serval things, Nvidia have been over the last decade damned good at making GPU's, that's a large part of it, another part of it is their marketing, perhaps without even knowing people like Linus have helped Nvidia a lot with that over the years.
The problem is AMD have come a very long way in the last two years, if Intel think they can just walk in the room, grab AMD and throw them out they are deluded, they will find themselves on their arse with a broken nose.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The problem is AMD have come a very long way in the last two years, if Intel think they can just walk in the room, grab AMD and throw them out they are deluded, they will find themselves on their arse with a broken nose.
AMD have been making crap cards for 20+ years with crap drivers it's about time someone put them on their arse the prices they charge for second rate GPUs is ridiculous they think it's a premium product

AMD pricingf stinks of arrogance indeed utterly ridiculous , they should come back when the don't suck at RT

Caporegime
AMD have been making crap cards for 20+ years with crap drivers it's about time someone put them on their arse the prices they charge for second rate GPUs is ridiculous they think it's a premium product

The last properly good GPU AMD made was the R9 290X, it was faster than the 780Ti.

That was 9 years ago.

RDNA2 is very good, equal to Nvidia's best in raster, more power efficient, it does lack Ray Tracing performance.

RDNA3 is also looking like it should be very good, probably better than RDNA2 in comparison. Even Nvidia may be nervous about it.

Intel don't have any GPU's beyond the lower run of the mid range, performance is very inconsistent, they don't work in older systems because its so problematic games are unplayable without Re-Bar, the GPU is near twice the size of AMD's equivalent while also being on a better node.

There may be no such thing as a bad GPU, only a bad price, Intel have no hope pricing equivalent to AMD and Nvidia, honestly, who do they think they are?

Associate

AMD pricingf stinks of arrogance indeed utterly ridiculous , they should come back when the don't suck at RT
I had a Radeon HD7970 and that card was legendary, I actually own a Radeon RX590 and it still plays decently anything I throw at it.
If Intel is willing to sell decent performance at a good price I'm willing to give it a try, heck I'd even try Zhaoxin and Glenfly if they become competitive.

Fanboyism benefits only corporations and allows them to charge ever higher premium prices, we should actually welcome every single competitor trying to carve a niche in the market!
Some of you guys are too young to remember the nascent GPU market 20-25 years ago, several players on the market meant faster evolution and competitive prices.

Honestly, I can understand it, I was in that place in the late 1990s, moking my friend for getting a Riva TNT when the 3dfx Vodoo 2 was the hottest card around... Guess how it went?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Fanboyism benefits only corporations and allows them to charge ever higher premium prices, we should actually welcome every single competitor trying to carve a niche in the market!
Some of you guys are too young to remember the nascent GPU market 20-25 years ago, several players on the market meant faster evolution and competitive prices.

+1

Having owned 3dfx, ATi, AMD, nVidia all along the years you roll with the punches and buy what suits you at the time. Why people get a bee in thier bonnet over a brand boggles the mind. As you mention, it only comes across as fanboyism or being a victim of mindshare. Its not just GPU's but noticeably in CPU's too. Most other subforums dont express this trait.

The problem intel have on their dGPU lineup is they have yet to hit the market in the UK anyway, I can recall people posting here how they will save the supply issue.. but anyway its their launch to mess up. I will be hoping a gen or two later down the line they make the space more interesting.

Associate
100k is nothing they could sell that in a week at the right price. Their pride won't let them though. Intel probably thinks they are already the market leader in discrete GPU's before they even launched.
They already do like to proudly claim that they are the largest GPU maker/shipper - because of the quantity of iGPU they sell.

Soldato
Intel are still not sampling but a bunch of German sites got together and got their hands on four A380s.
On Wednesday 12:00 (CET, so 11 BST?), Igor's, Computerbase, Golem, and 3D Center forum member will publish:

These reviewers should put those youtuber's to shame and bring us some proper reviews.

Caporegime
I had a Radeon HD7970 and that card was legendary, I actually own a Radeon RX590 and it still plays decently anything I throw at it.
If Intel is willing to sell decent performance at a good price I'm willing to give it a try, heck I'd even try Zhaoxin and Glenfly if they become competitive.

Honestly, I can understand it, I was in that place in the late 1990s, moking my friend for getting a Riva TNT when the 3dfx Vodoo 2 was the hottest card around... Guess how it went?

Agree completely, the quetion is tho if it was your money and your only card which would you buy? RTX 3060Ti for £400 or A770 for £400?

Soldato
Agree completely, the quetion is tho if it was your money and your only card which would you buy? RTX 3060Ti for £400 or A770 for £400?
I couldn't buy the A770, must have been late ;), I did buy the 3060Ti FE as it was decent for the performance and should be easy to sell on once I've had a look at the new cards 7700XT/7800XT.

Associate

That's a question I'd be able to answer only after reading a few reviews. TBH it would be a RX 5700 for that money if I had to choose right now...

Caporegime
I thought the 290x beat the Titan and the 780ti was released to take back the crown?

Techpowerup seems to show the Ti as faster on it's review.

It was the other way round, it beat the Titan and with that Nvidia released the 780Ti, which did beat the 290X, initially, but AMD soon had a major graphics overhaul which pushed it past the 780Ti.

Over time the 290X actually pulled out an lead over the 780Ti.

Back
Top Bottom