• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel back Free Sync and Vulkan, G-Sync meeting its deserved end.

Soldato
I'm happy with the small premium price I paid for my G-sync monitor 2 years ago, to get an equivalent free sync monitor now it would cost about same I paid then.

Unfortunately prices have gone up a lot for g-sync monitors now.

Soldato
I wonder if AMD could licence G-Sync? Cuz if that's possible then it's not just on Nvidia to support the other technology, AMD could too.
I'm sure Nvidia would license Gsync. Good reasons why AMD might not want to mind.

Nvidia won't enable G-Sync for competing graphics chips because it has invested real time and effort in building a good solution and doesn't intend to "do the work for everyone." If the competition wants to have a similar feature in its products, Petersen said, "They have to do the work. They have to hire the guys to figure it out."

https://techreport.com/news/25878/nvidia-responds-to-amd-free-sync-demo

There was a vid interview where TP just said 'no' when asked if AMD could license G-Sync but not looking for that, but it's often asked/claimed that AMD would/could license G-Sync but Nvidia closed the door almost instantly.

Oh and as having used both vendors Asyncs, it's great whatever one you pick, just make sure it's got a good vrr range on the FS side.

Soldato
Most people believe that G-sync monitors are superior in general anyway so Nvidia should try to support adaptive sync while still keeping the premium image of G-sync intact, unless there is a reason not to do so.

Mind share is everything and Nvidia has it in spades. That may be one of the reasons that they haven't supported an open standard yet.

They may do so once they lose market share but I doubt that happening anytime soon regardless of Intel or anyone else joining the party.

No they don't, in tests nobody could justify paying the extra for the G-Sync setup:
https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/03/30/amd_radeon_freesync_2_vs_nvidia_gsync

More expensive isn’t necessarily better.

Caporegime
https://techreport.com/news/25878/nvidia-responds-to-amd-free-sync-demo

There was a vid interview where TP just said 'no' when asked if AMD could license G-Sync but not looking for that, but it's often asked/claimed that AMD would/could license G-Sync but Nvidia closed the door almost instantly.

Oh and as having used both vendors Asyncs, it's great whatever one you pick, just make sure it's got a good vrr range on the FS side.

Thanks, I hadn't seen that article. I think part of Peterson's reaction was that AMD had yet to show working Freesync on desktop monitors.

My suggestions was based on prior Nvidia behaviors, e.g. they openly suggested ATI could license PhysX.
CUDA is also actually Freeware and cost no one any money to support. And Gameworks has always ran on AMD GPUs without license fees.

If Nvidia is genuinely in threat of becoming a monopoly then they will also be forced to license such technology at reasonable costs.

And to be clear this is an entirely academic and makes no sense in the current situation.

Permabanned
Thanks, I hadn't seen that article. I think part of Peterson's reaction was that AMD had yet to show working Freesync on desktop monitors.

My suggestions was based on prior Nvidia behaviors, e.g. they openly suggested ATI could license PhysX.
CUDA is also actually Freeware and cost no one any money to support. And Gameworks has always ran on AMD GPUs without license fees.

If Nvidia is genuinely in threat of becoming a monopoly then they will also be forced to license such technology at reasonable costs.

And to be clear this is an entirely academic and makes no sense in the current situation.

At least you got that part right.

Associate
Right now for many "hardcore gamers" FreeSync might as well not exist.

Only Nvidia has truly high-end GPUs and unless they support something different than G-Sync, alternatives don't exist.

Relying on Nvidia to support Freesync is just as sketchy as relying on AMD to come out with a real ****Ti competitor.

And yeah, it's annoying looking for a new monitor (what I'm doing right now) and seeing inflated prices, but I don't see alternatives.

Soldato
Right now for many "hardcore enthusiasts" FreeSync might as well not exist.

Only Nvidia has truly high-end GPUs and unless they support something different than G-Sync, alternatives don't exist.

Relying on Nvidia to support Freesync is just as sketchy as relying on AMD to come out with a real ****Ti competitor.

And yeah, it's annoying looking for a new monitor (what I'm doing right now) and seeing inflated prices, but I don't see alternatives.

FTFY. Almost all of the most hardcore gamers I know,have sub £400 cards and play games at 1080p. Just running a game at 4K and expecting 120FPS does not instantly make you a "hardcore gamer" - it does not preclude the fact that you are a hardcore gamer,but the processing power of your hardware does not indicate how much of a "hardcore" gamer you are. Plus plenty of "hardcore" gamers will not only have a PC,but most have other platforms too,ie, a PS4,XBox or a Switch to play exclusives on those platforms.

The mates of mine who tend to go for higher end hardware,had SLI/XFire setups,etc tend to be into tech generally and probably were "less hardcore" gamers than others I knew. However,they like shiny graphics and fiddling around with hardware.

The main advantage of high end products is "halo" marketing,which is what many companies use to sell lower end products,due to psychological association.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Don’t you do the same thing over magic speaker cables that defy the laws of physics?

Well it's a bit off topic, but what the hell eh.
Feel free to quote where I've talked about magic speaker cables.
One request, please open the thread in the appropriate forum. Talking about speaker cables here is a little "off topic".

Associate
FTFY. Almost all of the most hardcore gamers I know,have sub £400 cards and play games at 1080p. Just running a game at 4K and expecting 120FPS does not instantly make you a "hardcore gamer" - it does not preclude the fact that you are a hardcore gamer,but the processing power of your hardware does not indicate how much of a "hardcore" gamer you are. Plus plenty of "hardcore" gamers will not only have a PC,but most have other platforms too,ie, a PS4,XBox or a Switch to play exclusives on those platforms.

The mates of mine who tend to go for higher end hardware,had SLI/XFire setups,etc tend to be into tech generally and probably were "less hardcore" gamers than others I knew. However,they like shiny graphics and fiddling around with hardware.

The main advantage of high end products is "halo" marketing,which is what many companies use to sell lower end products,due to psychological association.
I agree with this. The best and most hardcore players I have seen in online games that I play daily have 1050 ti, 960 and 970 cards with older i5 and i7 cpus. These players are not interested in the best and most expensive hardware either.

The poster did say hardcore enthusiast though and not hardcore gamer.

Having bigger pockets doesn't make you more hardcore, just probably more of an enthusiast.

Associate
Personally, sync issues have never worried me. I normally turn V-Sync on to eliminate tear, and if I get issues with stuttering due to the frame rate falling below the sync rate then I just step down my settings a bit and or buy a new, more powerful graphics card. I mean I think many problems are caused by people insisting that they achieve the highest possible resolution, at ultra settings, on all games, and THAT is their priority rather than actually playing the game. It's not that that's a bad thing, but I think the majority of people are not like that. I mean 70% of gamers still game at 1080p! So I am not really sure whether many people care about free-sync and g-sync.

Soldato
I agree with this. The best and most hardcore players I have seen in online games that I play daily have 1050 ti, 960 and 970 cards with older i5 and i7 cpus. These players are not interested in the best and most expensive hardware either.

The poster did say hardcore enthusiast though and not hardcore gamer.

Having bigger pockets doesn't make you more hardcore, just probably more of an enthusiast.
It doesn't make you an enthusiast either. Enthusiast isn't a pricing tier, it's an outlook or disposition to hardware. Historically, enthusiasts were the ones pushing the hardware as hard as they could to get the best most performance per money they could. Now, today people pretend that "enthusiast" just means "person who spends a lot." It's BS.

Associate
It doesn't make you an enthusiast either. Enthusiast isn't a pricing tier, it's an outlook or disposition to hardware. Historically, enthusiasts were the ones pushing the hardware as hard as they could to get the best most performance per money they could. Now, today people pretend that "enthusiast" just means "person who spends a lot." It's BS.
Can't disagree with you on that I suppose. :)

Soldato
Exactly ^^

That's what makes all the difference.
Supposedly FS 2 will address it-if it's adhered to.

Well said.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Agreed. I was more of an tinkerer and enthusiast when I was younger and had less money than I am now. Still do it mind you, but not as much.

My favourite memory is getting a 9700 and bios flashing it to a 9700 Pro and saving myself around £100, which was a lot considering I paid £170 for the card. It was the first time I did such a thing and I was scared I would brick the card. Lol.

Soldato
I see the derailing into splitting hairs over gaming and enthusiast... I go look at the original post and it says hardcore gamers... without any edit notes.

Ok then.

Back
Top Bottom