• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel bug incoming? Meltdown and Spectre exploits

Soldato
Many forms of hype train.

The share prices changing doesn't mean AMD has more cash in pocket but it means investors in Intel are scared it might affect the bottom line.

Well that's what the stock market is.. Pure hype. If you check now, the share prices have settled right down, Intel are down a bit and AMD are up a bit.

AMD 5.1% up
Intel 3.5% down

That's still a significant change.

AMD have done very nicely out of this.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
OP
I saw that Linux kernel submission earlier. It's interesting that at the bottom it shows the diff between their submisison and the prevoius version. So there is a version out there which assumes that all CPU's are affected. So the first patch might also hit AMD until a second patch is released. I'm sure this will be released quickly under Linux since we can see that the patch has been submitted by AMD themselves. But how quickly for Windows since only MS have control over it?

Already pulled into the kernel tree , Linus himself did it

Edit :
Wasn't Linus it was another maintainer that pulled it into here the tip/tip.git tree

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Tip-Git-Disable-x86-PTI

It's not unique to Intel, but what they carefully avoided saying in that statement is that the patch to fix it does not hit performance on AMD systems, whereas is does hit performance on Intel systems in cloud /data centers.

Yes it does hit amd perf wise but the patch/fix is not needed on AMD CPU's thus irrelevant

Last edited:
Associate
I know how Intel can fix this problem, just use glue to put them back togeather hahahaha!!!
AMD if you read this, you are welcome to use this one. I'm sure they will not mind as they said it first :D

Soldato
They'd have patched it long ago if they knew, they are now down 6%, I don't know what that is in USD, but it's a freaking lot, plus the reputational damage.. That's a big gamble to take to punt a few more CPU's especially as AMD haven't been remotely competitive for the last ten years.

It's not like they didn't know their own processors were processing code insecurely. It had to have been done on purpose and it would have been to keep a performance edge over rivals. They did a VW basically (cheated and kept it quiet). Hackers would have definitely known about it as well.

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
. . . [Intel] did a VW basically (cheated and kept it quiet) . . .
Seems harsh and pure speculation.

In order to compete in the US market, VW deliberately included code in their diesel cars that would sense a "test" environment and temporarily reduce pollution. I very much doubt that Intel deliberately engineered a permanent security flaw in order to enhance performance.

ps - Dear Mr. Intel, can I have my free (strong, stable, safe & secure) replacement CPU please?

Back
Top Bottom