• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Core Ultra 9 285k 'Arrow Lake' Discussion/News ("15th gen") on LGA-1851

Soldato
OYoraCi.png

MgAp4XW.jpg

Cores: 8 'Lion Cove' Performance cores, 32 'Skymont' Efficient cores (40 core total)
Process: TSMC 3nm & Intel 20A
Socket: LGA 1851
IO: 16x PCI Express 5.0 for dGPU and 4x PCI Express 5.0 for NVMe from CPU

Starting up a dedicated thread for the next generation Intel CPU on desktop. Intel Core Ultra (Arrow Lake) will be replacing 14th gen Raptor Lake refresh and is due to launch in 2024. This will be Intel's first mainstream desktop CPU using chipsets and using TSMC's 3nm node.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Edited to show 2024, though it's highly likely to be delayed, this is Intel after all :D

I also suspect 13th and 14th gen will be faster than Arrow Lake for gaming, as this is Intel's first attempt at chiplets after all. Arrow Lake will be hugely more efficient though.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Wow a whole 20 lanes of PCI-e 5.0...

It's a bit lacklustre, considering AM5 has 24 gen5 lanes (from CPU, another 4 from chipset) and will have been available close to 2 years before Arrow Lake launches.

I'm expecting Arrow Lake to be hugely efficient in power consumption, a massive improvement over Raptor Lake. Though I think it will lose to Raptor Lake in games and lightly threaded apps, making it a sidegrade. Zen5 will probably be faster for gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Engineering samples already? Hmm!

Intel Arrow Lake CPUs Debut in Shipping Manifest With 6+8 Core Configuration

Extremetech said:
Intel is expected to follow up its Raptor Lake refresh chips with an all-new architecture named Arrow Lake in 2024. As always with Intel, you never know if it will successfully hit its launch targets. However, it seems the company is already shipping these next-gen processors, indicating it's pretty far along in its development cycle. Listings for Arrow Lake CPUs have appeared in shipping manifests for the first time, showing Intel has already begun sending them to partners for validation and testing.

The listings appear on an obscure website that seems to provide shipment tracking information and was unearthed by Twitter user @harukaze5719. This account usually posts upcoming hardware leaks, but anyone can go to the site and search for the CPUs to see the information, so this isn't an anonymous report like we're used to on Twitter. The listings read as "MICROPROCESSOR NEW ARROWLAKE H6C+8A+GT2," and it states the reason for the shipment is "R&D," which sounds right to us. The most interesting nugget of info is that it lists the core configuration as six performance and eight efficiency cores, along with GT2, the integrated GPU. The letter "H" in the name also indicates it's a mobile CPU.

Soldato
OP

Intel 15th Gen Arrow Lake CPUs Won’t Support Hyper-Threading or Rentable Units​

"Intel’s 15th Gen Arrow Lake processors will be the first in a very long time to lack hyper-threading (SMT). As previously discussed, they won’t feature Rentable Units either. The confirmation comes from @xinoassassin1 on X, who claims that Lion Cove will drop hyper-threading to prepare for the shift to Rentable Units. The 17th Gen Nove Lake processors will be the first to adopt the next-gen multi-threading technology."

Soldato
OP
Intel hit a home run with Meteor lake

Battery life problems no more, competitive cpu with performance with AMD's best and class leading GPU performance

Really impressive battery life. Huge performance per watt improvements.

Arrowlake has great potential for desktop - but depends if it scan scale well at high power/frequencies. I think it may need another generation to match/beat Raptor Lake.

Soldato
OP
Fairly comprehensive test

In fact, out of 370 benchmarks run on both the Ryzen 7 7840U and Core Ultra 7 155H focused strictly on the processor performance, the Ryzen 7 7840U was the best performer 80% of the time!
That review is using a $1000 budget laptop for Intel (Acer 14" Swift Go 14 laptop). For AMD, they use a $1500 Framework 13 model, so likely a biased review where the Intel throttles with terrible cooling design and likely slow RAM, possibly single channel.

Meteor Lake seems a good CPU for Intel in that it improves their performance per watt substantially, which is vitally important for mobile. Performance is disappointing though, with Ryzen parts still equal or better in most benchmarks.

Be interesting to see how Intel's 2nd gen on chiplets (Arrow Lake) improves on this - I'd still be surprised if it can match Raptor Lake/Zen4X3D in gaming.

Soldato
OP
May need a retest now

Intel just released a new bios for meteor lake laptops and with the new bios, CPU performance increased by 13% without changing power draw. Its not clear what the bios changed, but tests show power consumption is unaffected but the cpu is performing around 13% faster in benchmarks

Nice, I'm fully expecting Intel to drop the BIOS update for Rocket Lake any day now too :)

The above is sarcasm and an inside joke, for those confused :D

Soldato
OP

"Barring the late Meteor Lake launch, 2023 was quiet for Intel. The new year, however, is expected to be loaded with new releases. We’re yet to see a broader launch for the Core Ultra processors, and the 14th Gen Raptor Lake Refresh is yet to get the budget non-K SKUs. Later on, we’ve got Arrow and Lunar Lake scheduled for an autumn launch alongside the 2nd Gen Arc Battlemage lineup. Here’s a quick look at some of the truly next-gen Intel products slated to land in 2024.

The 15th Gen Arrow Lake processors will represent Intel’s greatest performance leap since Alder Lake in H2 2021. Like Meteor Lake, they’ll leverage a chiplet (tiled) architecture consisting of a 20A (2nm) CPU die and a 4nm (TSMC N4) tGPU. The CPU cores will also upgraded to Lion Cove (P) and Skymont (E), while the iGPU will be based on the Battlemage graphics IP. The 15th Gen Arrow Lake desktop CPUs are on track to a late 2024 launch with up to 24 cores (8P + 16E)."

Hopefully we'll see some ES leaks soon!

Soldato
OP

Looks like the IPC on these is about 5% lower when you take in to consideration the clock speed difference between the 13700H and 155H, single core the 13700H is 5.0Ghz and the 155H is 4.8Ghz, the 13700H scores about 8% higher with 4% higher clocks vs the i7 Ultra 155H.

The GPU performance is some way behind to AMD's about to be replaced APU's, but much better than Intel's previous gen.

Likely why Meteor Lake has been skipped for desktop. Arrow Lake has a larger chance of beating Raptor Lake, though even then I'm not yet convinced. It'll be much more power efficient though!

Soldato
OP

Source: https://www.techradar.com/computing...-lake-from-coming-to-your-desktop-ceo-insists

Intel's troubles won't stop Arrow Lake from coming to your desktop, CEO insists​

The tech giant’s financial results for Q1 2024 were released and with it, we found out that Intel share prices have plummeted by 12%, a massive decline versus the 10% increase in Q4 2023 compared to the same period in 2022.

In defiance, Gelsinger has stated that the new server chips produced on Intel’s 3-node technology are still set. According to PC Gamer, he’s also “excited” about getting into the “Angstrom era with Intel 20A and Intel 18A,” especially as Intel has been an industry leader in that regard by about two years according to his statement. The 20A refers to the Arrow Lake processors, which are still on track for a 2024 launch, while 18A is set to launch more specifically in the second half of 2024.

Soldato
OP
Thing draws more power than an RTX 4090. Gonna need another 1000w PSU for the CPU upgrade soon enough if Intel continue this trend.

I'll sick to efficient 12th gen for as long as the GPU utilisation remains 99% in the latest games...

7800X3D is noticeably faster and more efficient than Intel's 12th gen in games, and it's already available.

It's really amazing to see my 7950x3d @ 50-60W in games.

Hoping Arrow Lake returns Intel to some semblance of efficiency.

Soldato
OP
Sounds like athlon Vs pentium 4. Are we due a core duo revolution from intel?
Arrow Lake looks promising on paper. First desktop mainstream CPU with tiles from them. Likely to be hugely more efficient, but I still doubt if it'll beat Raptor Lake for raw performance.

Soldato
OP

Intel Arrow Lake-S to feature Xe-LPG architecture without “Plus”, Arrow Lake-H gets the Xe-LPG+ variant​

Source: https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-a...out-plus-arrow-lake-h-gets-the-xe-lpg-variant

ZIH3Nu7.png

Boring iGPU updates. Be nice if this iGPU can do 4k 120hz 4:4:4 on desktop though, would obviously require HDMI2.1 port in motherboard or DP 1.4 with DSC.

Hoping for performance leaks of CPU performance soon, longer it takes to see leaks the less likely Arrow Lake is to launch this year!

Soldato
OP
really happy with iGPU updates

not because i want to game on it, but just because I can get a new work laptop that actually supports my monitor at home - I'm currently stuck with 59hz refresh on my home monitor when it can go up to 175hz, because the Intel iGPU in this Dell XPS can't go higher than that on my Ultrawide monitor

Yeah, I'm having to use an old 3090 in my work machine (13900k) just to have 4k 120hz, as 60hz feels so horrible when you're used to 120, even on desktop.

My 7950x3D gaming rig can't do 4k 120hz on it's iGPU either. Well technically it can, but means using 4:2:2 chroma subsampling, which is horrible for text and work.

I've been too lazy to lookup what the iGPU in Zen5 will be capable of, hopefully it can do 4k 120hz 4:4:4 as well - but then again will the existing motherboard hdmi ports handle this? We'll see

Back
Top Bottom