• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Core Ultra 9 285k 'Arrow Lake' Discussion/News ("15th gen") on LGA-1851

Like all other launches, it will most likely be the Sep / Oct / Nov window.

We'd usually have seen engineering sample leaks of the CPU's and motherboards by now. So far we've seen no ES for desktop CPU's, or motherboards. Something feels off, I think September is highly unlikely. Q1 2025 more likely IMO!

It looks like Arrow Lake maybe attempting to tame Intel's ludricious TDP's by reducing the clock rate considerably

If that is the case it will be interesting to see what IPC uplift Intel has achieved with the new process node and if it can remain performance competitive with AMD's Zen 5 offerings.

I expect Arrow Lake to be inferior to Raptor Lake for lightly threaded applications (games etc), as clocks/power consumption will be so much lower. Also Intel's first desktop chiplet design, so unlikely to hit a home run their first time.

LGA-1851 motherboards shown so far (mid range boards) appear to have quite beefy VRM cooling. This suggests Arrow Lake will continue the theme of Intel CPU's drawing 200-300W+... Hopefully it's just a case of motherboard manufacturers using up left excess inventory from the power hungry LGA-1700 boards...

PuuZnDb.jpeg

Z890 leaked

No DDR4 support (previously known)
16x PCI-E Gen 5 lanes from CPU to PCI-E slots (for GPU)
4X PCI-E Gen 5 lanes from CPU (for SSD)
4X PCI-E Gen 4 lanes from CPU (for SSD)
Native Wi-Fi 7
Native Thunderbolt 4

Solid upgrade for Z890 over Z690/Z790 - though would have been nice to see the chipset x8 DMI 4.0 link upgraded to DMI 5.0.

Last edited:
Reactions: R3X
Random arrow lake chip benched, 20% faster than 14900ks in single core and multicore around same as 13700k

This chip could be a 15600k or something

GG if true. This is Intel's first chipset attempt on desktop CPU's, I expected it to be inferior in every way to Zen5.

I’m looking forward to the new Intel chips. Not had an Intel since 5930K:X99, really hope they put out a platform like that again, 40 gen5 PCIe off the CPU + quad channel RAM at Less crazy prices than the workstation stuff.
Skylake release quickly made Haswell E obsolete though - as Skylake's IPC was noticeably higher and clocked higher thanks to a better process. Think it was less than a year that Haswell-E had the spotlight.

What’s your point, new stuff is better? X99 was a great platform, could even drop a 18 core Xeon in. I used it 7 days a week for > 7 years. P.S: Skylake sucked;)

My point was pretty obvious, X99 was quickly eclipsed for gamers and those using productivity workloads that were lightly threaded, as Skylake had better clocks and IPC. Pretty average/sub standard platform to be eclipsed so quickly after release IMO.

5.7Ghz one core boost and 5.4Ghz all core boost on a new process (Intel 20A?) is much more conservative compared to the 6.2Ghz nonsense of 14900KS's. Far more likely to be a cooler running and stable chip - though I wouldn't put it past Intel to make a mistake, based on recent failures :D

From what I'm aware, AMD vastly outsell Intel in the DIY market at the moment anyway, so I don't know why they don't pull them from sale? I certainly would.

Didn't Rocket lake generally have lower boost/base clocks than 10th gen? It makes me wonder about what buildzoid said in how Intel had lots of knowledge of how to manage their 14nm process and maybe with their newer process they've just screwed it up.
Rocket Lake increased clocks significantly from Cometlake (10th gen).

Oh right, what I was trying to say about Rocket was that maybe since Intel knew their 14nm process so good, they didn't go crazy with the clocks on 11th gen, but they have made that mistake with their new process after 12th gen.

What buildzoid suggests would make sense, since I'd guess their engineering data about 14nm would be very extensive after using it for so long.

I see 10th gen as "peak-Skylake" and Skylake always had strong performance at high clocks. It is surprising how even now the 8700K can cling on against modern i5s and get decent-enough gaming performance. It took AMD until Zen 3 to consistently beat it.

It is definitely starting to age as an architecture though and 11th gen onward are pulling ahead more meaningfully. Arrow Lake kind of reminds me of 11th gen, due to the loss of hyper threading it has been compromised, but over the longer-term those advantages (like a higher base IPC) will show.

Yeah I don't think Intel were happy or comfortable pushing Raptor Lake to such high clocks. They were forced to, due to Zen4's performance, especially the X3D chips.

I think the 13900K should have been the highest stock frequency used for Intel 7 process, perhaps with 100Mhz less top boost and all core.

ZxTVH9L.png

Leaks suggesting 100W less multi-core load. Assuming there's a performance increase as well, that will be decent. Will still put Intel ahead of AMD in terms of power consumption though - as will be ~ 220W load instead of the ~320w we see now (under worst case all core loads scenario).

Zen5X3D is likely to be far superior to Arrow Lake in terms of performance and efficiency, so this delay bothers me little!

Perhaps Intel are waiting for X3D launch before showing their cards.

Last edited:

Intel Core Ultra 9 24-core “Arrow Lake-S” QS CPU reportedly hits 5.7 GHz clock, 5.4 GHz with all P-cores​

Pretty impressive clocks for a new process & on Intel's first desktop chiplet CPU. Assuming the ~100W multi-core load reduction in power is correct and assuming this thing is stable, it could be promising.

Looking very promising, if it's really 100W less all core MT load power than the 14900k!

Beating the 9950X in MT performance without having Hyper-Threading is pretty wild.

gCA2UBm.png

Last edited:
But hybrid cores are not without issues. Sure Skymont is far close to the P cores IPC which should make things easier. My work Alder Lake laptop has absolutely horrible SQL performance so much so that that 10C/12T is about FOUR times with stone complex queries compared to the old Haswell 2C/4T laptop. I even tried the latest MS SQL (which we can't currently use) but it was the same. Totally turning off E cores improved things massively there - it then "only" took 150% the time which the old Haswell over took - but then everything else was slow. For a 15W Alder Lake CPU it also throttles on all but its 90W supply while the 37W Haswell CPU was fine on a 65W supply.

That is extreme and not that common but not all programs like E cores.
I'd use a workstation/server, and RDP into it from your laptop.

Back
Top Bottom