• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Core Ultra 9 285k 'Arrow Lake' Discussion/News ("15th gen") on LGA-1851

I remember buying highend DFI lan party motherboards for between £100 anbd £150 deending on the model back when i was using a Prometia Tech Mach 2 Compressor Cooler. Me mates thought i was crazy spending so much on a motherboard but i loved those boards, miss DFI

giphy.gif

I can see that the enhanced multicore performance and lower power consumption will be attractive to those upgrading from much older processors, or a small number of people that really need the extra performance in their workload.
But for me ... with a 13700k that is mildly overclocked, it would be an expensive and not very compelling upgrade.
Similarly for those with a 14th Gen processor: Winter is coming. A 14900k is very good at keeping your feet warm.

Last edited:
Z890 boards are crazy money, considering it's rumoured to be only a one generation socket/platform.
If you read the "how often do you change your CPU" thread you'll see, even on an enthusiast forum, people don't change CPU all that often. I don't really see the one generation socket/platform thing as a downside, it's more of a nice to have if there's potential for a later generation drop in upgrade.

Z890 boards are crazy money, considering it's rumoured to be only a one generation socket/platform.

The only one that has kept its price is the Z890 Apex which is currently coming in a few quid cheaper than the Z790 Apex Encore was at release ( £744/£750 ) the rest have taken a considerable hike in price it seems :rolleyes: but then the AMD equivalent isn't exactly what I would call cheap either :cry: let's not talk about the 5090 and rumoured 2000-2500 price:(

Last edited:
Looking around at the MB prices it seems mainly Asus who have hiked up their prices, if I did decide to upgrade this gen then would be looking at the Asrock Taichi OCF which is their equivalent to the Apex but coming in considerably cheaper at £455 ...saving almost £300 and it's in Black rather than Silver/Grey which I would prefer... Asus can do one this gen as their prices are getting out of hand :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom