• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Core Ultra 9 285k 'Arrow Lake' Discussion/News ("15th gen") on LGA-1851

If i remember right i used to be a fan of ABIT motherboards back then
Or somewhere around the very late 90's or early 2000's
I had a ABIT Fatal1ty with an external Uguru thingy a mabob. Can't remember the socket or what CPU i was running in it though. Cracking board though

Is there ever any reason to upgrade after a single generation?

If it only a simple refresh like the 13th to 14th Gen then no

But if it a completely new designed Gen then sometimes yes
Also many times a next gen motherboard has new stuff you want or need (but there nothing this time)

The only thing that is of any interest at all to me on the new z890 board is the better gen 5 m.2 support which maybe of use for me some years down the road.

Last edited:
Is there ever any reason to upgrade after a single generation?
I'm on a 12700k with a 4090 and think I'll skip another generation of CPUs

May as well wait for Panther lake or whatever.

The next generation of Intel processors, Panther Lake will be available for both desktops and laptops. Panther Lake is expected to be a major performance improvement over the current generation and will focus on AI. Panther Lake is built on Intel's 18A process and is scheduled to debut in 2025
Upgrading now feels like a trap, unless I'd be upgrading every year anyway.

Last edited:
the boards im seeing have some 'upgraded' features.
strix ones are using 90A rated mosfets.
a gaggle of m2 slots , and all the rest of it.
I guess they are in it to make dollars. apart from one extravagance around 2004, i've been a budget mobo kind of tight arse.

so yeh. these boards are insane. to me. (the mobo ive had now for about 5 yrs cost 165 AUD :confused:) these z890's range from 5-800aud - mid-range . bloody nora.
anywho. I said I'd buy the cpu, and i will. but I'll be staging the other purchases out over the next 4-5 months. B860 hello.

Last edited:
so yeh. these boards are insane. to me. (the mobo ive had now for about 5 yrs cost 165 AUD :confused:) these z890's range from 5-800aud - mid-range . bloody nora.

500 > 800 for a z890 motherboard looks like a bargain when you look at the price of a msi b760m motherboard

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Last edited:
I guess they are in it to make dollars. apart from one extravagance around 2004, i've been a budget mobo kind of tight arse.

anywho. I said I'd buy the cpu, and i will. but I'll be staging the other purchases out over the next 4-5 months. B860 hello.

Problem with the lower model boards intel lock overlocking / tuning the CPU

Is there any known substance to that rumour.?
Only this ArL up and coming CPU to use the Z890 board and socket.?
It's been leaked a few times now, it's probably true, like most of the rumours we get ahead of launches for these type of parts.

LGA-1851 was supposed to be for 2 generations, Meteor Lake and then Arrow Lake. Meteor Lake was cancelled, so that just leaves Arrow Lake. Dead platform on launch with crazy price boards = fail IMO.

While LGA-1851 is technically more advanced/superior to AM5, I'd still recommend buying AM5 over LGA-1851, as there's still a small chance of Zen6 being AM5.

It's been leaked a few times now, it's probably true, like most of the rumours we get ahead of launches for these type of parts.

LGA-1851 was supposed to be for 2 generations, Meteor Lake and then Arrow Lake. Meteor Lake was cancelled, so that just leaves Arrow Lake. Dead platform on launch with crazy price boards = fail IMO.

While LGA-1851 is technically more advanced/superior to AM5, I'd still recommend buying AM5 over LGA-1851, as there's still a small chance of Zen6 being AM5.

If the somewhat lacklustre potential for ArL wasn't reason enough to be cautious, that is another.

I dont understand why half the motherboards (this goes for AMD and Intel) needs enough power stages for LN2 extreme overclocking

They're putting power delivery on these boards so you can dump Ln2 on your CPU and eat up 500-800watts, but how many customers do this...

Last edited:
I dont understand why half the motherboards (this goes for AMD and Intel) needs enough power stages for LN2 extreme overclocking

They're putting power delivery on these boards so you can dump Ln2 on your CPU and eat up 500-800watts, but how many customers do this...

Because after the z390 mess and subsequent techtuber obsession with vrm temps, it’s an easy selling point.

Anyway if I was getting arl, I’d get either one of these boards:

Atx = asrock ocf
itx = msi edge ti

And ignore everything else

Because after the z390 mess and subsequent techtuber obsession with vrm temps, it’s an easy selling point.

Anyway if I was getting arl, I’d get either one of these boards:

Atx = asrock ocf
itx = msi edge ti

And ignore everything else

Had a quick look and these 90A mosfets depending on source and brand can cost up to $4 each, so when you buy a 20 stage motherboard and you technically only needed like 6 stages for your high end CPU, you end up paying $64 extra for the motherboard for power delivery that you'll never use

Last edited:
seems like overkill in terms of the power delivery... interesting to see if hotspot temps end up any different.
always found the marketing terms used for motherboards pretty funny. going way back many years.

various testers will have something to do in coming weeks/months.

the X870 boards are also OtT. imo. from my brief look.
---
seriously if all you want is gaming...get some elcheapo platform (practically any 6 core) and spend the dollars on the g card. all done.
each to their own....

edits: i'm gunna cave in and get a z board. o the humanity. :( not sure which one yet. (the coolest one possibly)

Last edited:
If i remember right i used to be a fan of ABIT motherboards back then
Or somewhere around the very late 90's or early 2000's

ABIT.... Now that's bringing back memories with Cyrix.

Next gen Intel, 9000x3D are all turned out to be wet blankets by the looks of it.

Maybe we have finally hit the CPU's peak without burning down your house.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom