• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Core Ultra 9 285k 'Arrow Lake' Discussion/News ("15th gen") on LGA-1851

they have to be careful to limit the power draw over the pci interface. to 75W. badly specced cards can pull more. but that should not be typical. PCI-SIG standards

it all shows up in testings. as to how x,y, or z motherboard handles the heat (assuming we still get reliable testings by specific reviewers)

if they are exceeding power draw limits significantly over the pci slot that is not good.

I am becoming more paranoid lately that something insidious has crept into the design and manufacture of 'self immolation for premature failure of consumer goods' type merchandise. even my tin foil hat seems to be getting hotter these days....
considering recent troubles I would not want even more bad press to arise from badly specced hardware.

If you use GPU-Z it should show you how much power is being drawn from the PCIe slot as well as the power cable. My Zotac 4090 only uses about 9w from the slot at load, when idle it's only drawing about 3.5w and that's about it. Surprised how little it uses from there.

Last edited:
Overclocking still has benefits. It's just isn't as easy as in the past since manufacturing has matured greatly. What you were getting in the past was a silicon lottery due to large tolerances in manufacturing. Now there are still tolerances but they're tighter thus less headroom between chip. However there's now a lot of other dials to squeeze out performance. Another benefit of tuning is that you not only get more performance than out of box but majority of the time, it'll run cooler, require less voltage and thus last longer. So it's a win on multiple fronts.

As for gains, since we use CP a lot, here's a before and after.

Latest intel bios out of box with just xmp enabled:
image.png

Basic tune with just a AIO:
image.png

Each his own but I'll happily take a system giving me 17%+ more performance that runs cooler, requires less voltage and will last longer.

Overclocking still has benefits. It's just isn't as easy as in the past since manufacturing has matured greatly. What you were getting in the past was a silicon lottery due to large tolerances in manufacturing. Now there are still tolerances but they're tighter thus less headroom between chip. However there's now a lot of other dials to squeeze out performance. Another benefit of tuning is that you not only get more performance than out of box but majority of the time, it'll run cooler, require less voltage and thus last longer. So it's a win on multiple fronts.

As for gains, since we use CP a lot, here's a before and after.

Latest intel bios out of box with just xmp enabled:
image.png

Basic tune with just a AIO:
image.png

Each his own but I'll happily take a system giving me 17%+ more performance that runs cooler, requires less voltage and will last longer.
How can you call Zen 5 bad at gaming when I scored 297 in Windows 11 and 315 in Windows 10 using the Low Preset with the 9950X? :p

Last edited:
Not convinced tbf, didn't even post my best scores. Either way, still can't agree with Zen 5 = bad at gaming. :)
It’s not bad but rather barely better than Zen 4 vanilla which is considerably cheaper or the 7000X3D which was cheaper but has now shot up in price which says it all really.

Last thing we need is the CPU market going the same way as the GPU market which is why we needed a decent showing from arrow lake but it’s not looking great right now.

It’s not bad but rather barely better than Zen 4 vanilla which is considerably cheaper or the 7000X3D which was cheaper but has now shot up in price which says it all really.

Last thing we need is the CPU market going the same way as the GPU market which is why we needed a decent showing from arrow lake but it’s not looking great right now.
Your argument holds more weight with me tbf. All I will say is that you can improve Zen 5 performance nicely if you tune the CPU/Memory. For example, my CB23 score started off at a ball hair under 42K at stock. I'm now at 48K+ fully stable in all workloads.

Your argument holds more weight with me tbf. All I will say is that you can improve Zen 5 performance nicely if you tune the CPU/Memory. For example, my CB23 score started off at a ball hair under 42K at stock. I'm now at 48K+ fully stable in all workloads.
Same for Zen 4 though or even Intel.

I kinda wish I’d just bought a 7800X3D months ago when they were under £300 now rather than waiting thinking I’d be getting 20% extra performance on a 9800X3D or a dirt cheap 7800X3D.

I may end up just importing a cheap 7500F at this point if ARL and the 9800X3D flop till prices settle down again.

Robert. He often makes good points, however this time he dropped the ball. Likely having not used one himself.

It’s not a good purchase for anyone on a zen4 equivalent. Product sales and an uptick in zen4 street pricing seems to support my notion.

Glad you’re enjoying it and can help others extract more value. I’ll sit tight for x3d and winter sales.

is the 285k pretty available in the UK? i pre-ordered one from OC Uk because they seem to be sold out in my country (paper launch?)
One of the American retailers straight up told me they already sold through their online-order stock allocation. and i dont imagine its scalpers.

is the 285k pretty available in the UK? i pre-ordered one from OC Uk because they seem to be sold out in my country (paper launch?)
One of the American retailers straight up told me they already sold through their online-order stock allocation. and i dont imagine its scalpers.
Best if you post a ticket in customer services forum.

Back
Top Bottom