• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel has a Pretty Big Problem..

Man of Honour
I just want a full £600 refund on my 13900K regardless if its even bad or not at the moment, i have been getting crashes from day 1 thou on a new build, don't want the worry in the future if any crash is down to bad cpu or something else, had my Skylake 6700K for 10 years and stiff perfect.

Have you tried undoing any undervolt and running RAM at conservative settings etc? I see far too many people complaining about random crashes with their 13900K but refusing to undo their undervolt (hand waving at it running too high voltage/too hot at stock and refusing to eliminate that angle), and/or running like 7500+MHz RAM and expecting XMP settings to take, etc. etc. and more often than not Asus motherboards :s

Not to say 13900Ks aren't crashing due to this issue but the number of people actually talking about symptoms which are consistent with this issue is a lot less than the number of people complaining about instability - [usually] only when these chips are severely degraded does it produce random/general crashing and start up issues, etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you tried undoing any undervolt and running RAM at conservative settings etc? I see far too many people complaining about random crashes with their 13900K but refusing to undo their undervolt (hand waving at it running too high voltage/too hot at stock and refusing to eliminate that angle), and/or running like 7500+MHz RAM and expecting XMP settings to take, etc. etc. and more often than not Asus motherboards :s

Not to say 13900Ks aren't crashing due to this issue but the number of people actually talking about symptoms which are consistent with this issue is a lot less than the number of people complaining about instability - [usually] only when these chips are severely degraded does it produce random/general crashing and start up issues, etc.
Well i bought the 13900K last August, but only started using it recently in a new build, so i already knew about the problems, so i had latest bios installed and in bios i chose use intel defaults, and turned off all the asus overclock features in bios also, and had crashes in both games i installed within hours, will wait until august fix comes out to see what happens.

Soldato
Finally a motherboard that won't kill the 14900k and all they had to do was sacrifice 50% performance. Intel needs to lower its prices it has become the budget brand for budget CPU performance

Intel have a very expensive design, built on an expensive node and are huge company. It would be impossible for Intel to be the value proposition.

Soldato
And tomorrow he'll be saying something completely different...

I haven't watched the video but from what Intel have presented there isn't much shared between the ring bus on 14th gen and 15th gen.

The ring bus is Intel achilles heel and always has been. Intel have been painting themselves further into a corner with every generation. The ring bus + mesh strategy was only ever supposed to be a means to an end.

Associate
Certainly Intel appears to have a major issue and the question is how many cpu's have been badly degraded and are ticking time bombs. Sort of ruins the second hand market because you aren't going to want to buy something you know might have been unwittingly abused.

Soldato
400% of what? it literally has no meaning if we don't know the original number, it could still be a tiny percent.

Everything is hyperbolic these days like with the melting GPUs which seemed to go away as soon as the frenzied hysteria did. yet were made out to be something that would affect everyone.

Which seem to be a lot of people on the mainstream social media these days such as reddit and twitter

I went from a 4670k to a 12700k

That must be fairly close to 10 years, it was oced the whole time, not massively though.
Towards the end of it's life I did start geting cpu errors in even viewer, but never noticed any degradation nor did I experience instability.

The error went away as soon as I increased the voltage by a tiny margin and I carried on using it for probably 2 years after that with no issues.

Certainly glad I don't have a problem CPU and AMD might be calling whenever I next upgrade.

A chap local to me has grown his repair business fixing failed Nvidia graphics cards. He now has a chap dedicated to these repairs.

Caporegime
MLID says 15th Gen has some of the same issues causing instability as 14th Gen. The issue raised is Intel pushing the ring bus too hard and cooking it; an issue suspected by Buildzoid as well
hes always bashing intel anyway and probably still deletes old videos when he gets things wrong...

doods like a self deleting Nostradamus and totally hates intel

Soldato
hes always bashing intel anyway and probably still deletes old videos when he gets things wrong...

doods like a self deleting Nostradamus and totally hates intel

Intel has big problems, people talk about these problems and it’s consider hate. Yep, sounds about right for the current age.

Intel call him the mean one.

Soldato
Enthusiasts who are at least aware of this whole debacle have no excuse if they knowingly buy one now. It’s the vast majority I feel sorry for, all those buying prebuilds and the like who don’t keep up with tech news everyday. Sinking large sums of money in to something that probably shouldn’t be sold in the first place.

Intel has essentially admitted there is a fault but they don’t know the extent of it and they are happy to continue selling potentially faulty products to people? Sounds like some pretty solid ground for some lawsuits in America!

Caporegime
Enthusiasts who are at least aware of this whole debacle have no excuse if they knowingly buy one now. It’s the vast majority I feel sorry for, all those buying prebuilds and the like who don’t keep up with tech news everyday. Sinking large sums of money in to something that probably shouldn’t be sold in the first place.

Intel has essentially admitted there is a fault but they don’t know the extent of it and they are happy to continue selling potentially faulty products to people? Sounds like some pretty solid ground for some lawsuits in America!

Right...and the thing about that is they are still selling them, they have admitted they are broken, that they are not fixable, they are not recalling them and they are still going to sell them to the unsuspecting.

Man of Honour

I've seen a fair few posts now from people mid build who've already got a 600/700 series motherboard and can't return it but haven't bought a CPU yet... meanwhile Intel saying very little, whether they know or not, so no one knows their exposure.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Right...and the thing about that is they are still selling them, they have admitted they are broken, that they are not fixable, they are not recalling them and they are still going to sell them to the unsuspecting.
It shows the contempt they have for their users. I know it is weird to think of a highly depreciating purchase as an investment, but a lot of users DO see their CPUs that way and these are like a car where the engine is going to start degrading (invisibly or not) until it conks out.

At a minimum they should have pulled these CPUs from sale until the microcode update is released and instructed motherboard makers to put a label or new revision on their boards and encourage/incentivise retailers to update the BIOS on old stock before they're sold.

Back
Top Bottom