• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Caporegime
Was a bit yep. Thought id maybe borked a few pins i was that worried. And tbh i was extra careful when putting in/removing the chips. Never had to update a bios in this fashion before and ive owned nowt but Asus boards for my last five builds. No clocking for me till i get the better cooler stuck on. Don't think this old paste is that good tbh.

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
I have done those updates before on my ASUS X79 boards.
Same thing needed to update the firmware for IVY-e

You also had the bios updaters for the P67 boards to update to the WIN 8 compatible UEFI BIOS.

Last edited:
Associate
4790K44Stock_zpsbafc0f4b.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Very quick install of my 4790K 2014 with stock clocks and wprime 1024M run

Caporegime
I have done those updates before on my ASUS X79 boards.
Same thing needed to update the firmware for IVY-e

You also had the bios updaters for the P67 boards to update to the WIN 8 compatible UEFI BIOS.

Ahh, prior to hw i was running an Ivybridge setup. Used with both i5 and i7. My other system is an x58 setup with an i7 930.

Permabanned
Cheers bud. Tbh i could see me moving to z97 at some point. Upgrade path to broadwell and the Maximus 7 formula looks fantastic. Even though its very similair to the 6 formula.

Yeah , must agree. Was the main reason I changed to Z97, to enable me to keep the 4670k and drop in broadwell i7 down the line. The 7 formula is a great looking board indeed. :D :p

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
z87 and z97 are so similar (Basically the same thing with a new sticker) so broadwell should work on both.

Caporegime
Anyone get 5ghz?. Whats all this about old batch new batch?

Quite a few people have received L3 batch chips, indicating they were manufactured late last year. Supposedly the 2014 chips are running higher clocks on lower volts. But tbh in seeing some get goood results too on the older chips. Silicon lottery tbh regardless of what you get imho.

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
Definite silicon lottery.
Would be nice if someone could explain how it is our L3 chips are so old.
How long has Intel been cherry picking ?

Caporegime
Tbh like setter said silicon lottery. old and new makes no difference. All random. I have a L3 and my chip is amazing. So all this talk that L4 is better is total rubbish.

What was your voltage at stock in cpu'z mate? Iirc we have the same batch no. Cant wait to get a bit of overclocking done on this un. Its like having a sports car sitting on bricks at the mo.

Back
Top Bottom