• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
surprised you didn't vice n hammer it,far harder with a blade

Haven't got a vice.
I use a pair of plumbers grips to hold the IHS and then push on the corners till the seal breaks on one of them.
Once the black stuff is broken on one corner it is easy to cut through the rest with a blade.

Trying to break into the black glue with a blade is real hard, I did that before and it puts your chip in real danger of scratching.

Soldato
Well temps and oc are better so new TIM is doing something right.

Think it is difficult to judge in all honesty. It may just be that you had a couple hot running 4770K's and have now got a golden 4790K.

Certainly in my case, the 4770K and 4790K are identical temps on all 4 cores at same frequency/ voltage. Now, I am not daft enough to jump to conclusion that TIM is exact same, as it may be that I had a cooler running 4770K and slightly warmer running 4790K, but it does make you wonder.

As with anything, more-so with these glued on IHS cpu's, it is very much a lottery.

Soldato
Anyone, got an idea of a safe fixed vcore to boot with? I have 1.31v for 4.8Ghz at present. Going to mess about with offset etc, but just wondering if booting with higher whilst trying for 4.9+ is safe?

Soldato
anything under 1.4v imo

maybe 1.35v?

Yeah think the auto overclock on my Hero used to chuck 1.360v through my 4770K@ 4.6Ghz which is why I knocked it down to 4.4Ghz. Plus I wan't happy that it wasn't 100% stable at that for whatever reason. So I guess anything round about that would be safe'ish although maybe not for 24/7. Can always run my AP15's at higher RPM, although they do go to 100% at anything over 70 degrees at present.

Will have a mess about tomorrow probably.

Caporegime
if its overvolting then just manually select a low or medium loadline calibration in the bios,the board wont be as accurate as a manual input

you can then knock off extra cpu voltage with a negative offset but a lower llc will be enough

(that's at stock if you wanna reduce volts)

booms running 1.38v so idk but I think you'd be ok

OcUK Staff
1.35 is tops on ambient I would say. Uprated VRM and slightly better temps. Then again your below TJ max temps are not that much of an issue as people harp on about.

Be aware some boards are overvolting these after Bios reset on first boot so I would set voltages manually.

To get off the black residue when delidding I use knife. Easy job.

My quest for golden 4790K starts tomorrow. I am not holding my breath.

Great Pentium Anniversary would be fun too.

Caporegime
Ahh, 1.35 max. Sounds ok then. And thanks for the tip on voltage on first boot 8 Pack.

Any reccomendations guys on what's the best conventional thermal paste theese days? Not gonna bother with liquid metal on this one. 4770k looks a bit messy and will need a good clean after using ultra on it.

Caporegime
Ahh, 1.35 max. Sounds ok then. And thanks for the tip on voltage on first boot 8 Pack.

Any reccomendations guys on what's the best conventional thermal paste theese days? Not gonna bother with liquid metal on this one. 4770k looks a bit messy and will need a good clean after using ultra on it.

there was a thread on here asking for results,i cant think if the pastes name? something diamond?

3c better than mx4 or id recommend that

Back
Top Bottom