• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Associate
Makes you wonder if that's the problem. Boards seem to be defaulting to more volts than necessary so people are upping the volts further to go for higher overclocks and finding it's not working.

Early days yet I know but if Intel really did improve the overclockability of DC vs Haswell why aren't we seeing it more consistently?

Associate
They have kind of, in that most 4770ks people were buying recently have been strugglingto get past 4.3Ghz and these are reaching more like 4.6-4.7 without much trouble?

Associate
4790k at 4.7ghz 1.22v 2 hours occt linpack stable highest temp is 68c does this look right for a custom water loop?
A early screenshot 16mins in

Cpu-z is not reading my voltage correctly

Last edited:
Associate
That's not really improving it, that's just binning surely?

Lets not beat around the bush here, all we have been sold in buying a 4790K is the processors that have been thrown in the bin since last year that didnt sell as 4770K's.

The only difference between these processors and old 4770K's is that these one ship with a stupidly high vcore to ensure it runs the 4Ghz core clock and 4.4Ghz boost clock.

Edit: also whats up with selling processors that are virtually Engineering Samples? I.e all these L33 processors that are the same batch as all the ES chips.

Soldato
OP
Lets not beat around the bush here, all we have been sold in buying a 4790K is the processors that have been thrown in the bin since last year that didnt sell as 4770K's.

The only difference between these processors and old 4770K's is that these one ship with a stupidly high vcore to ensure it runs the 4Ghz core clock and 4.4Ghz boost clock.

Edit: also whats up with selling processors that are virtually Engineering Samples? I.e all these L33 processors that are the same batch as all the ES chips.

Even if that was the case (Which it isn't) these chips and motherboards are at the same price points, the chip is overclocked out of the box and the motherboards have better features.

There is very little to moan about here.

The actual CPU chip on top of being overclocked has been re-optimized, my chip does 4.9Ghz, clearly that is a massive improvement from the past two 4770K's I have tried.

When you consider that they came in at the same price point and the Z97 motherboards will support 14nm Broadwell. People are really having to stretch to find something negative. Intel could have just done nothing until Broadwell, really they did us a solid by giving us this refresh, especially for people who are building fresh this year.

Stop being so negative :p

Permabanned
Even if that was the case (Which it isn't) these chips and motherboards are at the same price points, the chip is overclocked out of the box and the motherboards have better features.

There is very little to moan about here.

The actual CPU chip on top of being overclocked has been re-optimized, my chip does 4.9Ghz, clearly that is a massive improvement from the past two 4770K's I have tried.

When you consider that they came in at the same price point and the Z97 motherboards will support 14nm Broadwell. People are really having to stretch to find something negative. Intel could have just done nothing until Broadwell, really they did us a solid by giving us this refresh, especially for people who are building fresh this year.

Stop being so negative :p

^^^^^
This.

New build for me 4790k was a god send:D

Soldato
OP
^^^^^
This.

New build for me 4790k was a god send:D

Same here, this really is a decent chip. Runs really cool and quiet @ stock. Clocks to 4.9Ghz for benching. Can't grumble at that lol.

Bios flashed to 1504 without a hitch. Time to get the new cpu bunged in.

Nice one, pics, screenshots and benchmarks needed lol.

Hoping someone cracks 5Ghz :D

Associate
Nothing negative about his post imo; he was just stating the facts.

Clever marketing move on Intel's part; you only have to see how many people who already have 4770s have splashed their cash to realise that.

Bottom line is still the silicon lottery. If you get a good 'un you're chuffed and rightly so.

Back
Top Bottom