• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

pffft....

going to try and delid my 4770k if i fail a that i will keep the devil lol
if i succeed in deliding im keeping my 4770k and sending the devil back.

Noooooo don't do it. Sell your 4770K put DC in and clock it.

Your batch is okay.

If I were Intel I would ensure that the first batch were good ones. Wouldn't you?

Matt

Is there any actual evidence that L4 are better or is it just a fad that because they're newer they must be better? unless the process has improved significantly over time (which 4770K shows no evidence of) they should all have more or less the same properties.

Basically tweaking nothing but Vcore (very little effort):

ZO96HyV.png

The above is the default voltage it uses to run at 4.4Ghz on Auto, so 4.6 on that isn't too bad.

tgTi33P.png

Quite a jump in volts required to get 4.8Ghz. After that, I need about 1.36~ to get it stable at 4.9Ghz but haven't tested that much yet.

I tried 1.39 at 5Ghz and I can get to the desktop but it's touch and go. :p Not sure I want it much higher...

Hey guys, got my new PC set up a few days ago:

Z97 ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO
i7 4790k
16GB 1866MHz RAM
Corsair H100i CPU cooler

I'm having some trouble with the temps, here's the screenshots:

fsYJjgL.png Rp2WoXR.png

Everything is at stock clock and stock settings in the BIOs. With P95 running for 5 minutes my CPU eventually hits the 80c mark, this is with my H100i running at very high speed (insanely noisy).

Is the stock voltage too high, causing this insane temp? I really wouldn't have expected this with a H100i.

That does seem hot for a H100i. I very much doubt you'll need to be at 1.28v for 4.4Ghz though, you can probably be under 1.2v (similar to mine above).

On Auto, these motherboards seem to be pumping way too many volts in on early BIOS revisions. Have you got the latest BIOS? That helped a lot on my Gigabyte Gaming 7. Everything on Auto works rather well after updating.

I know this is the 4790 thread but there isn't one for the 4690, which I put in a new rig yesterday...did I get a good one?

crS.png

EDIT:

I have run a LinX bench but with the cooler I have the temps went into the 90's, so I will be turning it down to 4.5Ghz, but it was 100% stable.

Last edited:
That does seem hot for a H100i. I very much doubt you'll need to be at 1.28v for 4.4Ghz though, you can probably be under 1.2v (similar to mine above).

On Auto, these motherboards seem to be pumping way too many volts in on early BIOS revisions. Have you got the latest BIOS? That helped a lot on my Gigabyte Gaming 7. Everything on Auto works rather well after updating.

On the latest BIOs already, but it seems changing the voltage done the trick (I only changed that)

iqe95Lz.png

It overs around 73c on average at 100% usage with the above voltage..

I get the feeling the voltage could go lower. Shame to see such temps with a H100i though.

On the latest BIOs already, but it seems changing the voltage done the trick (I only changed that)

iqe95Lz.png

It overs around 73c on average at 100% usage with the above voltage..

I get the feeling the voltage could go lower. Shame to see such temps with a H100i though.

the backplate is around the right way for sure?
(dont kill me just asking!) lol
maybe these are normal temps if ambient is warm i duno..

Untitled.png

** Any image wider than 1280 pixels should be linked or placed in spoiler tags **

Took the plunge and installed my z97SOC giga board and devil.
quite the chip actually i never thought it would be possible, got a old bios on the board F4 so i need to upgrade it but for just jumping in and changing only the vcore i got a stable 4.4ghz stock @1.124v lol

then i tried 1.120v and it posted and i ran a quick test and it seems stable also :D
cant wait to see what i can push it to... put it this way my i7 4770k couldnt get this low in voltage at these speeds.

here is a linpack/intel burn test shot....
lowed the voltage some more, holy **** i know im testing it at stock and at how low a volt it can go but so far i am ** No swearing ** impressed, no way my i7 4770k could do this and the temps are amazing.

----------------------------------------

16734ef.jpg

think i have a golden chip ? won the lottery ?

the backplate is around the right way for sure?
(dont kill me just asking!) lol
maybe these are normal temps if ambient is warm i duno..

Yeah it's definitely on correctly, the waterblock is nice and tight too. I got the voltages to 1.15 and it's stable. Temps are around 36-40c idle which is obviously not good.. I guess this needs more investigation.

Back
Top Bottom