• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Looking at this thread it seems that I am one of not many people running their hardware at the limit 24/7.
I dont care about power consumption and if its around 80c stable its good enough 4 me.
And if something fries at lest i can justify an upgrade :D

btw. Still waiting for singe core cinebench at 4.7ghz on those DCs. Just to see how much raw power its got PLEASE :)

L4 is more constistant going by massive thread on OC.net.

Same as any batch, its a guide not for cert and its more than the L3 part, needs the complete number.

My L3 is not good and hot, reason I have not even bothering posting here.

A few have good L3, does not mean if I had 2 in my hand L3 and L4 and no time to test I would choose the L4 as in my case the L3 I have its over 9months old stock from Intel.

I told you guys right after 4790k release all this talk about L4 was better then L3 was a load of rubbish. My L3 clocks amazing.

You're bound to have a few good L3, but we're talking about averages here. individuals who won the lottery really don't count. My L3 doesn't seem too bad either, yet to fire up my L4 chip, it's raining and i need to go to my shed where everything is setup :(

btw. Still waiting for singe core cinebench at 4.7ghz on those DCs. Just to see how much raw power its got PLEASE :)

I'm getting the below for Cinebench

R15 @ 4.7GHz with 1.25vcore, Win 8.1 x64, 1600MHz RAM at 1.5v and cache at 3GHz:

MT: 944

ST: 185

R15 @ 4.8GHz with 1.25vcore, Win 8.1 x64, 1600MHz RAM at 1.5v and cache at 4.4GHz:

MT: 958

ST: 190

Last edited:
Mine passed Cinebench first time at 48 x 100 @ default (1.375v), but it BSOD during the Heavy Multitasking phase of ROG RealBench, which is more realistic of heavy real world usage imho.

Even that was nothing compared to encoding a 132GB 1440p FRAPS file in Handbrake though; my 46 x 100 (wip) clock @ 1.25v reset and I bumped it up to 1.275v (haven't tried between yet) to get it stable.

When running AIDA64 FPU is it normal for it to boost to 4.4Ghz all the time? I thought it only did that if 1 or 2 cores are working? I have it under water at stock volts(1.2) But getting 80/85/80/77 temps after 10 minutes :/ I am trying to work out if my board is pumping too much voltage to something.

Mine passed Cinebench first time at 48 x 100 @ default (1.375v), but it BSOD during the Heavy Multitasking phase of ROG RealBench, which is more realistic of heavy real world usage imho.

Even that was nothing compared to encoding a 132GB 1440p FRAPS file in Handbrake though; my 46 x 100 (wip) clock @ 1.25v reset and I bumped it up to 1.275v (haven't tried between yet) to get it stable.

That 4.8 Cinebench I posted crashes in under a minute (WHEA error) on OCCT. The 4.7 is looking promising though.

Normal use id say, stuff like prime etc generate temps that are too high, temps that theese chips simply aren't designed for.

I am guessing that's why my temps are 80+ under water with AIDA64 FPU and Prime95 small FFT. I just did 10 minutes of the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and a run of Cinebench with temps under 65.

Last edited:
What should I be using to stress test? It's been a while since i have done it. I have AIDA64, Intel ETU and ROG Realbench.

I like OCCT, it seems to be a good mix and if it's not stable I tend to get crashes in games too.

It also doesn't run the temps up as much as e.g. IBT. I'm seeing ~65-70c in OCCT at 4.7 but IBT is 80+ (on custom LCS) @ 1.25v.

Back
Top Bottom