• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Man of Honour
If buying a large cooler like 140mm (possibly some 120mm) Noctua, look up their site and see if it will block your TOP Primary PCI-E 16x slot.

They are going to address this and ram clearance with offset models soon (were shown at show a few week ago).

My Z68 ROG was E-ATX so fine but this Z87 ROG is normal ATX so top slot is block meaning I need to use the less than ideal PLX 16x slot and SLI is basically a no go for now.

I did check this on their site, no issues with the Gigabyte Gaming 7.

Soldato
Anyone know what the voltage setting for the cpu that affects memory timings? I am stable at 4.7 with 1.24 volts. I am now trying to run my memory at XMP. But it causes a BSOD in the stability tests.

Wondering if a small bump up in a voltage setting might help. I just don't know which one.

Using a ASUS Maximus VII Hero board.

Thanks

Soldato
Only tested this to 4.6 so far as im having to bring voltages really low to keep it under 80c

So 1.2v at 4.6

EhFa4AM.jpg

I think i can go lower with the volts but just need time to do more testing at the weekend.

If I leave volts at auto they default to about 1.35v

Running on the Asus Hero and the chip is L331C518

Soldato
Decided to just run at 2133mhz. Seems stable. After an evening of overclocking and stress testing I have hit 4.7ghz stable at 1.24v.

Will see if I can get 4.8ghz stable over the weekend but to be honest I am happy with what I have got :).

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
Tell me it isn't so !! Yes that is an H87
I will see if the voltage can come down, never expected it to work.

4790k-h87.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom