• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

dis

dis

Associate
:eek:
STOP RIGHT THERE:
No worries chaps :) The 4.9 was a quick test to see if it'd even boot (success, yay!), thanks for the concern tho.
Might throw an old dangerden tdx block on there tomorrow, see where that gets me. By the sound of things, even custom water might be quite limited without deliding. Not expecting more than 4.6/7 stable when i'm done, anything else is a bonus.

Soldato
No worries chaps :) The 4.9 was a quick test to see if it'd even boot (success, yay!), thanks for the concern tho.
Might throw an old dangerden tdx block on there tomorrow, see where that gets me. By the sound of things, even custom water might be quite limited without deliding. Not expecting more than 4.6/7 stable when i'm done, anything else is a bonus.

ah so you basically only tested to see if it would get into windows @1.33v @4.9.
think every chip bar the most crap would be able to get into windows @ that voltage.

i can boot into windows @1.30v @4.9 though the problem is getting it stable on IBT and Aida32... and being able to run multiple cine benches.

Associate
Sat at 4.6Ghz @ 1.259v for 24/7 use. Runs cool and quiet with Antec 920 on lowest silent fan setting. Really pleased with this CPU tbh.

Read that Broadwell K won't launch until Q3/Q4 2015. Makes me think X99 is still the best option for people once it arrives. How many of you guys will be upgrading to X99?

I think I will be, I really wanted the 4770k and 4790K to perform better and as I do a lot of encoding/photo editing X99 should tick the boxes.

Soldato
OP
I think I will be, I really wanted the 4770k and 4790K to perform better and as I do a lot of encoding/photo editing X99 should tick the boxes.

Yeah, X99 will have massive advantage in those areas. Looking at Z97 as something to mess with until the real deal X99 comes along. If Broadwell K isn't coming until Q3/Q4 2014 and then Broadwell -E comes around the same time could be another year before anything else is even close to X99.

Skylake looks to only be quad cores from the leaks so far. So in reality it could be 3 years of X99 being unchallenged from Intel's mainstream line. That longevity will make X99 worth being bought into imho.

Who on this forum has the highest clocking 4790K? :D

A few of us have bench stable 4.9Ghz, and some of us can boot into Windows @ 5Ghz but not bench stable.

Last edited:
Soldato
Who on this forum has the highest clocking 4790K? :D

tested @1.4v @5.1 passed cinebench and light benchmarks but thats about it
not sure i have seen anyone getting 5.2 but i have seen a few getting 5.1

though i really do not like running @1.4

there is really no point in people going much higher cause if your uncore cant keep up then whats the point :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thought it would have gone higher. Seeing that, i've very happy with my 2700K @ 4.8Ghz. :D

I remember my old 2700K, that was an awesome CPU. If I didn't have to try the latest and greatest I would probably still be using that as well, because tbh the 2600K/2700K can do everything fine. The mainstream range of CPU's has only really been polished with incremental improvements since Sandybridge.

I'm liking Z97 + 4790K it's a very polished setup. 4.6Ghz at really low temps, or 4.9Ghz for benching.

Will likely move onto X99 when it launches though, that will be the setup that can last for a few years unchallenged by Intel's mainstream line of CPU's.

For those who have been waiting since Sandybridge for a 'real' upgrade X99 will be the one worth moving onto imho. The mainstream chips (3770/4770) just aren't that much different than Sandybridge, but X99 will have serious advantage over Sandybridge, higher IPC, DDR4, 6/8 cores, X99 motherboards, Quad Channel and support for 14nm CPU's. X99 is the one that a lot of Sandybridge or guys with even older setups will want to jump to imho.

Last edited:
Soldato
you have got to remember a stock 4970k will destroy your 4.8.

Sounds like someone's still trying to convince themselves their recent upgrade was worthwhile :rolleyes:

Don't know how many threads I've seen saying there's little point in switching from a decent clocked Sandy/Ivy Bridge to Devils Canyon.

Soldato
I understand X99 will be a new story altogether but surely a 4790k is going to be 'ok' for gaming for a good number of years? I hate building a new system when something is always round the corner but its always like that.

Caporegime
it will be fine,im just saying from sandy to latest haswell theres not much in it

and even less so with gaming

x58 was fine too but it lacked igpu which is handy to have and true sata3/usb3

if you want x79/x99 then you'd have to pay for it when it was new (meaning its expensive compared to regular desktop)

Back
Top Bottom