• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Associate
So I upped my memory back to 2400Mhz and set dram voltage to 1.7v. I'll see how it goes.

Edit: still blue screening. Set vcore to 1.24v. Seems stable so far.

Last edited:
Associate
1) I've come fairly fresh to the 4790K over clocking club as the last machines I overclocked were i7 920s and 980Xs.

Ive bought 2933Mhz Ram, 4790K and Asus Z97 Deluxe MB.

I am keen to keep the Ram at the highest speed yet seem to only leave RAM speed high at the when the CPU is at the stock 4GHZ.

Keen to over clock to about 4.5ghz but keep memory speed high, any recommend settings?

2) Just a thought to keep the CPU cooler , is it possible to disable the integrated graphics? I knew this was an old trick but struggled to find it in bios.

Thanks

Associate
Hi,

Not sure if this will disable it or not, but page 3-38 in the supplied manual;

igpu_zps5911cd55.jpg

Mnly reference I have found, have the same Motherboard so will look when I am home.

Martin

Associate
1) I've come fairly fresh to the 4790K over clocking club as the last machines I overclocked were i7 920s and 980Xs.

Ive bought 2933Mhz Ram, 4790K and Asus Z97 Deluxe MB.

I am keen to keep the Ram at the highest speed yet seem to only leave RAM speed high at the when the CPU is at the stock 4GHZ.

Keen to over clock to about 4.5ghz but keep memory speed high, any recommend settings?

2) Just a thought to keep the CPU cooler , is it possible to disable the integrated graphics? I knew this was an old trick but struggled to find it in bios.

Thanks

The memory hardly makes any difference though?

Associate
Messing around with the Asus tools it seems to think a drop from 2933 to 2000 is best for 4.5ghz. I was led to believe keeping memory speed up was beneficial...

Associate
Haswell doesn't scale well past 2400 mhz ram. Sweet spot for most users is 2133 c9 \ 2400 c10. I'd say lower your speed down to 2400 and focus on tight timings.

Associate
I will delid for your curiosity, if you buy me a new one if it screws up :)
The rewards from a delid are great but there is much sadness if it goes wrong

The TIM being the same is worrying.
From what I have seen so far it appears the temps are not much better at all.
Was hoping to avoid having to delid this time round.

Could it be the ES and the first batch OCUK are selling are old chips assembled before the new TIM was in production. ?
Seems not many places have stock yet, did OCUK do some deal to buy up the old chips so they could be first to market ?

Tomorrow my DC should arrive and I will be a bit miffed if 30mins later I am taking a deep breath and pondering delidding it.

8pack I can understand now why you aren't excited at all by DC

Pro tip - TIM has nothing to do with bad temps on these chips. It's the distance between the IHS and the die being larger than ideal due to the black adhesive used to hold it in place.

You really think people would be yielding 20c temp differences due to TIM? C'mon :p don't we all wish lol.

Soldato
I don't know why, but I want to get my system hitting 950 score in cinebench, then I can settle.

Spent a lot of time getting it up to 948 stable, but then came playing an actual game, only to discover my soundblaster z does not like 125 strap when encoding on the fly.

So now got to start all over again using default 100mhz...

Certainly the most difficult system I have ever had when it comes to overclocking.

Had memory up to 2500 on 125 bus, but on 100 I can not get 2400. So probably going to be settling on 2200 with tighter timings.

As for cpu oc.... Doubt am going to get 4.8, but 4.7 will be easy.

Don't think am going to reach that 950 score though :(

The temptation to try another chip is strong... Must resist!

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
Pro tip - TIM has nothing to do with bad temps on these chips. It's the distance between the IHS and the die being larger than ideal due to the black adhesive used to hold it in place.

You really think people would be yielding 20c temp differences due to TIM? C'mon :p don't we all wish lol.

You are sounding like a broken record.

I and many others who frequent this forum have delidded countless CPU's
The TIM used makes a big difference.

I would suggest you actually delid and use some CPU's before posting further on the subject.

Associate
I believe quite a few waited for devils canyon because of the upgrades performed by intel to the CPU such as TIM. If not then surely intel would be taken to task on the issue. Looking at a range of reviews seems to be a sound conclusion to better clocks and cooler CPUS which makes it better then the previous chip.

I guess you could wait for the next CPU, however I believe the advice for 4770ks is to wait at present.

Back
Top Bottom